Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Performance Management Framework (PMF)    Cannot get 5.3.1 HF1 installation to run through successfully

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Cannot get 5.3.1 HF1 installation to run through successfully
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
I have downloaded 5.3.1 HF1, and I am trying to get it installed on a Windows 2003 server, running: WebFOCUS 7.7.04 Server, WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Client, Apache Tomcat (listening on port 8080) MS SQL Server 2005.
The installation runs through, but clearly it is not successful.
Do you perhaps have "manual" instructions for the installation and directory structures etc.?

WebFOCUS 8.2.06 mostly Windows Server

Posts: 195 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: September 13, 2008Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I'll have Carlotta send these to you.
thanks

Bob Jude Ferrante
Director of Business and Development
WebFOCUS Performance Management
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

I'll take any questions about PMF - business or technical - anytime!

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Twanette,

Just out of curiosity, when you say that the installation is clearly not successful, what exactly are you seeing?

EricH

posted Hide Post
Is this a common issue? We had the same thing happen with 5.3.1 and are planning on trying to install HF1 next week.

Are folks comfortable with using this in production at this point?

77.0.3 to 8202, Windows/Linux, All Formats

Posts: 8 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 25, 2012Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
The issue people are encountering is that in 5.3.1 the method of configuring the server changed, and if the server environment or pathing was changed post-install, there's no record, so a manual tweak is required to sync it up. It usually takes about 1-2 minutes to tweak it.

It's also important to look through the Release Notes to make sure that any manual steps to configure the environment have been done. For example, .tab file redirection has to be turned off on the Client Administration panel; if you are using single-sign-on, you might have to take an additional step or two to ensure the server security configuration is respected.

Once it's configured for the leap from 5.2 to 5.3, PMF upgrades are smooth.

This is not atypical. Installing any packaged app might anywhere could typically require a manual tweak or two post-install. PMF is a big app with lots of moving parts that are distributed all over the WebFOCUS environment, and placed and managed by the installer.

Anyone using an RDBMS other than Oracle is used to having to do some manual steps after install; since we no longer automatically install a SQL Server backup, now even SQL Server users have a couple manual steps. After this is done PMF works faster and better than ever.

That said, even though we test PMF across many environments, we're constantly working to make the install work perfectly everywhere and not ever require even a 1-2 minute post-install tweak. It could take us a while - please share your experiences with me over email and I'll look at each one. Send your PMF install logs to me at bob_ferrante@ibi.com and we will analyze them and use them to improve the install so it's perfect.

Finally, there's full support at IB for your install. You can contact IB-ATS anytime for assistance. They are well versed in environments and can get you up and running fast.

=bjf

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Eric,
Just in response to your question:
The errors were related to fexes not found, and the value for &&PM_TNT_NAME_PRF being missing.

When I did the install I did not have installtipsPMF 531HF1.docx which at least helped me to get it a step further.

I have a fairly "vanilla" WebFOCUS install, so I don't know why the PMF installation was derailed.

However, I reached the following conclusion - the install did not update any server side configuration files e.g. it did not create PMF_BASE.prf on the server

I still have not managed to figure out why pmf_base.prf still does not run. However, just to get my demo up and running, I have copied the pmf_base.prf commands from the installtipsPMF 531HF1 doc into edsprof.prf.

I'll figure out the issue with pmf_base.prf at a later stage. Smiler

WebFOCUS 8.2.06 mostly Windows Server

Posts: 195 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: September 13, 2008Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Twanette,
Give Carlotta Cunningham in ATS a call please. If you change the PMF footprint in random pragmatic ways (mmm... try this... it seems to work... OK let's go!), the installer's ability to upgrade PMF could be impeded. There is a standard set of steps to tweak the PMF install footprint which are easy to follow. Your EDASPROF should be mostly empty of PMF stuff. The standard base tenant profile PMF_BASE should contain all profile settings. Etc.

Carlotta knows all this stuff.

thanks!!!!

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105