Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Performance Management Framework (PMF)    Utility Dimension Tree width control

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Utility Dimension Tree width control
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
Does anyone know how I can control the width of the Utility Dimension Tree when I drill down to the lowest level of a dimension and this gadget expands to the right and overlaps the gadget to the right.
There is plenty of space to display the lowest dimension without expanding to the right.
I don't want to move the gadget to the right anymore than I have already, to make room for the Dimension Tree.
I've tried changing the default width of the Utility Dim Tree but that didn't work. I've also tried to change the field size of the lowest level dimension but that created an error.
Thanks.
Greg

Greg

current client: WF 8.1.05 & 8.2 - Windows 7 64bit - Tomcat 7 - MRE / BID - IE11

local: WF 8.2 - Windows 7 64bit - Tomcat 6 - MRE / BID - FOCUS - IE11

PMF 8

Posts: 274 | Location: Boston/New England | Registered: February 12, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Hi Greg,

Perhaps a brief explanation would help. The behavior you're observing is designed in.

The expansion of gadgets on Dashboards is automatic in PMF and is a feature that most people like quite a bit.

No matter if you make the gadget take up a smaller area on first display, it expands to show all the content when you tap it with the mouse. It does this by detecting the width that the actual content needs to be - this way if the content can't wrap, the consumer can see it all.

A few seconds after expansion, the selected gadget automatically "fades back" so you can see other content items. This is all automatic behavior.

thanks

Bob Jude Ferrante
Director of Business and Development
WebFOCUS Performance Management
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

I'll take any questions about PMF - business or technical - anytime!

Guru
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bob.
I like that feature as well.
I was just wondering that since there is alot of empty space to the right of the lowest level dimension when I drill down, if I could somehow trim/limit the expansion of the dimension so it would only go up to some max limit (eg. 25 chars instead of 30 or 290px instead of 300px).

When the Dimension Tree expands does it look through the size of all possible items that might be displayed and expand to that point or is it a set number of pixels or chars (30?) no matter the number of actual characters?

Thanks.

Greg

PMF 8

Posts: 274 | Location: Boston/New England | Registered: February 12, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Thanks Greg. We're just fishing for compliments. :-)

Typically the expansion depends on the size of the content. It is not based on characters but rather on the pixels that the content takes up when rendered by the browser.

In the case of the tree, you'd be seeing the widest space taken up by the farthest expanded node to the right.

Are you seeing a lot of whitespace to the right and you haven't expanded any nodes?

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

Guru
posted Hide Post
More compliments, this time from a customer, after I changed a couple report parameters that your team exposed:
"I can't believe you put that report together so fast!"

So back to the dimension tree white space:
After I drill-down to the lowest level and click an item to select it and have it broadcast to another gadget the whitespce doubles. But if I then click on a higher level item without the dimension tree changing in any way, this gadget frame shrinks and I still see the entire tree with no item getting truncated.

Make sense?

Greg

PMF 8

Master
posted Hide Post
Sort of. I guess i'll need to see it. I tried to do it with our sample databases and didn't see that happening but as Gerry says, you never know.

thanks

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

Master
posted Hide Post
will you be at Summit week after next? You can show me then, or perhaps we can do a livemeeting.

thanks

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105