Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Performance Management Framework (PMF)    [closed] "negative" threshold possible?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[closed] "negative" threshold possible?
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
Hi,

I am speaking about a "Descending - Lower is better Measure" from this point on:

A Flex amount in PMF indicates how far above the target you can be and still show a green indicator. A Threshold is the amount that you can be above target and show a yellow indicator.

For example, I have a target of 2.5% which would normally mean that if I am between 0 and 2.5% I am green, and if I am between 2.51% and 3% I am yellow (0.5% Threshold). Let's pretend the Flex is 0, so you must be on target or lower for green.

My client is wondering if they can re-purpose the Flex/Threshold system to warn if they are getting close to being bad. I'm calling it a negative threshold, just for fun.

For example, the same measure has a target of 2.5%, but they want to show yellow if they are close between 2.0 and 2.5%, even though they are still below the target. Sort of like an early warning system, I suppose.

I was able to drag the handles in the Threshold/Flex pop-up dialog box to indicate -0.5%, click Accept and then save the measure. However, when I went back into the Edit Measure screen, the Threshold and Flex was reset to zero.

So, I'd say this is not possible, but I want confirmation before I advise my client.

Cheers,

Joey

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Moogle,

-WebFOCUS 8.2.01 on Windows

Posts: 318 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: November 15, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Joey,

Have you tried to type in the Threshold/Flex numbers and see if they are saved correctly?

Greg

Greg

current client: WF 8.1.05 & 8.2 - Windows 7 64bit - Tomcat 7 - MRE / BID - IE11

local: WF 8.2 - Windows 7 64bit - Tomcat 6 - MRE / BID - FOCUS - IE11

PMF 8

Posts: 274 | Location: Boston/New England | Registered: February 12, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi Greg,

Long time no see; I think last summer in NYC with Janice. Hope you are well.

As for this issue, I did try to type the values in, but it was the same situation. It said it saved, but a refresh reveals it has reverted back to zeros.

Cheers,

Joey

Posts: 318 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: November 15, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi Joey,

Things are well, Thanks!
Glad to see you are doing interesting work with PMF.

Is there an opportunity for you to upgrade to 5.1.2? I used that version last week and this feature worked, both, through dragging and entering the numbers.

Good luck!

Greg

PMF 8

Posts: 274 | Location: Boston/New England | Registered: February 12, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Joey,

Try a negative whole number.

I just played around with 5.1.2 and discovered that it will not save the fraction part of a negative thresh/flex, only the whole number.

I don't think this is what you want.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gregv,

Greg

PMF 8

Master
posted Hide Post
The Weighting Decimals setting in PMF controls significant digits used... make sure that's not set to 0.

Bob Jude Ferrante
Director of Business and Development
WebFOCUS Performance Management
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

I'll take any questions about PMF - business or technical - anytime!

Guru
posted Hide Post
I wish this was it but it's set to 2 for me, Bob.

Thanks.

Greg

PMF 8

Guru
posted Hide Post
My system was set to 1 Weighting Decimals, and changing it to 2 had no effect on this problem.

Master
posted Hide Post
You're right... it doesn't have an effect. It looks like if it's negative PMF does not save the decimal portion. We'll plan to re-base 5.1.2 with a fix for this.

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

Gold member
posted Hide Post
You mean that Moogle found a bug? :-) Will this be addressed in 5.1.3? I'm sure Moogle will ask this question if I dont't....

WebFocus 7.6.8
iWay Data Migrator 7.6.8
PMF 5.1

Master
posted Hide Post
Yes, he did!

Since there are no DB changes to 5.1.2 required to fix this and since we aren't planning for 5.1.3 to be Generally Available (and the next release after that is months away), we plan to "re-base" 5.1.2 with this fix in the very near future. There are a few other issues fixed in this planned "re-base." You'll be able to tell if you're running the re-base version by the code date on the About box.

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Joey,

Back to your original question. Have you thought about using the benchmark, forecast or stretch target fields to accomplish this? Granted it means you are not using one of these fields -- but you could load the system with one of these values set to give warning if the measure is getting close to being bad.

-Seth

WF 7.65. Solaris. PMF 5.11 on Oracle 10g

Posts: 48 | Location: New York | Registered: March 25, 2009Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi Seth,

I talked the client out of this whole negative threshold thing. We have gone back to using "Green if it's withing target," Yellow if it's a little beyond target and red if it's really beyond target.

It's not even that this is a bug that made me recommend moving away from this type of thing, it's just that none of the other measures were setup this way. I didn't want a user to see two yellow measures and have the yellow indicate two different meanings.