Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Measure Load Method
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
In the edit measure loader screen, the option of "add new, increment actual/target" for loading seems to be a good choice for tracking measures such as Sales - YTD, where each time a record is updated the system adds the new data to the existing to keep a running total.

This leads me to 2 questions. If I do this, do I lose the ability to see Sales broken into monthly buckets? Secondly, how would I reset the metric back to zero for a new year?

Any help appreciated.

PMF 5.1.1

Master
posted Hide Post
Best way to handle YTD would be to load in separate buckets for each quarter or month, and then let the YTD Time Range handle this. Note that you're not thinking of things the way PMF handles them - there are separate buckets for each Dimensional intersection, so you don't need to wipe out last year's data to do this.

thanks

Bob Jude Ferrante
Director of Business and Development
WebFOCUS Performance Management
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

I'll take any questions about PMF - business or technical - anytime!

Gold member
posted Hide Post
I agree with your response but that prevents me from having a scorecard of mixed YTD and monthly monthly measures at my discretion. That was very common in the days before PMF of using Excel to produce manual scorecards.`

Master
posted Hide Post
?? Not at all really. Getting the impression we're not speaking the same language... hope the following clarifies things...

You can load data in monthly buckets and apply a Time Range when you're reporting that gives you the YTD aggregate which will sum up those months. If your monthly bucket contains only a running total and you don't want to sum those up, PMF lets you use the alternate Time Summary to say you only want to show latest.

We're trying to say that Time Ranges give you more flexibility. Your measures can be loaded any way you want, of course, but if you use Time Ranges and other neat capabilities in PMF, then you don't have to limit yourself to only storing the latest.

And in any event, even a Measure loaded at the Year Time level will still store a different bucket for the different years.

thanks

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thnaks Bob, I will experiment with these various combinations to see if I can get what I want. However, could you please either explain or point me to the reference area in the user guide where alternate time summary is discussed? I see that when I turn on the system setting in the Manage tab that it activates a field on the edit measure form but I am not sure what the choices mean (standard, average, latest).

Thanks again.

PMF 5.1.1

Master
posted Hide Post
It's in the new features guide, since it's a new feature.

Standard - aggregates all Time buckets (adds them).
If 2009/01 = 10, 2009/02 = 15, 2009/03 = 20 then Q1/2009 = 45.

Average - averages all Time buckets (adds them up and divides by number of buckets).
If 2009/01 = 10, 2009/02 = 15, 2009/03 = 20 then Q1/2009 = 15.

Latest - displays only the latest value in Time for any higher period.
If 2009/01 = 10, 2009/02 = 15, 2009/03 = 20 then Q1/2009 = 20.

Examples are simplified.
Your math is properly applied for range/percent/chg in pct of course.

thanks

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bob. I've played a bit, now if you could please tell me where my logic flaw is.

Here are my steps:

Activated Alternate Time Summary
Selected a measure and set the time summary to most recent
Ran a YTD report and the value displayed was the sum of the values in the buckets from 2009/01 through 2009/04.

Based on your explanation I expected to see only the value from 2009/04. This measure is loaded nightly and the data is stored by month as the lowest time frame. The aggregation method is set as additive.

Sorry to harp on this but this feature would be very valuable to me going forward

Again, thanks,

PMF 5.1.1

Master
posted Hide Post
Hmmm... from your signature, we see you're running 5.1.1.

5.1.1 doesn't support this globally, only on the quadrant report. PMF globalized its functionality in 5.1.2. So to really see this you'd need an upgrade; you can check it out on the quadrant in the meantime.

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Yep, Bob, you are correct. I tried it on the quadrant view and it works fine. We have planned for a move 5.1.2, sounds like the sooner the better.

Thanks.

PMF 5.1.1