Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Performance Management Framework (PMF)    Dashboard access at user level

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Dashboard access at user level
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Hi,

I did a search and found the following discussion related to my question/problem:
Restricting dashboard access

We'd need to allow/deny access to certain dashboard(s) based on the user id. I know we can limit access at measure level and are already doing that, but some dashboards are built for certain purpose and shoud only be available to certain users. How could this be achieved? In the post above Bob mentioned adding a filter to FILTERS.FEX and allow access to groups of content (using PMF 5.2.2 user-defined content groups). This sound like the way to do this, unless there are other ways? What what would need to be added to FILTERS.FEX?

Cheers,
Mika

WebFOCUS 7.6.x
PMF 5.2.x

Posts: 58 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: April 22, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Easy way:

Every dashboard has an owner. Dashboards can be public or private. A private Dashboard can only be viewed on the Today tab by its owner. (Admins can see them too, but only from the Manage tab. In case for example the user leaves and you want to clean up the stuff they don't use any more)

So, if the Dashboard is for one user ID, you can create it as a private dashboard. To do this easily, log in as that user and create the dashboard, or if you want to do it in two steps because you can't log on as that user, create the dashboard as private under your ID, then change the dashboard owner from Manage > Content to the user to whom you want to target the dashboard.'

Harder way:

You can filter the list to the Today page listing mechanism. To do this you have to write some FOCUS and put it in the user security exit (probably not in FILTERS.FEX).

Which do you want to do?

thanks

Bob Jude Ferrante
Director of Business and Development
WebFOCUS Performance Management
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

I'll take any questions about PMF - business or technical - anytime!

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Bob, thanks for your prompt reply.

Private dashboards won't work, as dashboards will be for multiple users. We'd need to control the dashboard list shown in the Today page based on the user id. So, it seems we'd need to use the harder way.

I haven't had a chance to look at this yet, but a question related to this. Is it possible to display a PMF dashboard on another tab than Today? The parameters for a dashboard are e.g. gadget_page_shell%26PAGE_ID%3D34, so could we call gadget_page_shell with a PAGE_ID or something like that? If this is possible, then we could display PMF dashboards on different tabs -> control what is displayed through group views.

Cheers,
Mika

WebFOCUS 7.6.x
PMF 5.2.x

Posts: 58 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: April 22, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
OK, we'll look into how to advise.

Yes, you can run a dashboard from anywhere, including from another tab in BID or any portal. There's actually another focalpoint posting on how, and also this is in appendix B of the PMF documentation (Tips).

Good hunting.

thanks

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

Master
posted Hide Post
here's the other post:

http://forums.informationbuild...351047582#7351047582

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Bob, thanks so much for your help. We'll try and create another tab launching a different PMF dashboard and we'll continue from there. It could actually be, that this'll solve our problem. Thanks for pointing me to the other post and documentation, I hadn't had a chance to try and find this information yet myself.

Cheers,
Mika

WebFOCUS 7.6.x
PMF 5.2.x

Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi Bob,

My current client has asked for the ability to restrict dashboard access to groups of users. This is the same request that Mika is asking about.

I wonder if you will consider this functionality for a new feature in PMF?

Cheers,

Joey

-WebFOCUS 8.2.01 on Windows

Posts: 318 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: November 15, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Sure, we'll consider it.

thanks for adding your voice.

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi Bob,
FYI: I just had a client ask for this feature, as well.
Thanks.

Greg

current client: WF 8.1.05 & 8.2 - Windows 7 64bit - Tomcat 7 - MRE / BID - IE11

local: WF 8.2 - Windows 7 64bit - Tomcat 6 - MRE / BID - FOCUS - IE11

PMF 8

Posts: 274 | Location: Boston/New England | Registered: February 12, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
PMF 5.3 will let you map all content - including dashboards - to scorecards. So user access to content will be controlled by the users' access to a scorecard.

So you could have a dashboard, or any other managed content, and only users who can see a particular scorecard can see those content items. This way the view model is easy and consistent.

How does that sound?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bob Jude Ferrante,

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

Guru
posted Hide Post
Sounds like what is being requested.
Thanks for the product update, Bob.

Greg

current client: WF 8.1.05 & 8.2 - Windows 7 64bit - Tomcat 7 - MRE / BID - IE11

local: WF 8.2 - Windows 7 64bit - Tomcat 6 - MRE / BID - FOCUS - IE11

PMF 8

Posts: 274 | Location: Boston/New England | Registered: February 12, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
This really is excellent news, thank you for the update.

Cheers,

Joey

Posts: 318 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: November 15, 2005Report This Post