Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Performance Management Framework (PMF)    Measure aggregation and Percent reached

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Measure aggregation and Percent reached
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Hi,

The customer would like to have a sort of a combination of different aggregation methods when displaying measure values. I've tried to load measures in different ways, but I can either get Actual and Target display correctly or just the Percentage reached. Currently PMF shows Actual (A), Target (T) and Percentage reached (P) in the following way:

A = 100
T = 80
P = 125%.

The customer would need to see this as...

A = 100
T = 80
P = 25%.

So, we'd need to recalculate P as P-100 or (A-T)/T*100.

Is there a way to set this up in PMF or would we need to do some customization for displaying P? If so, would you have any pointers where to do this (fex name)? Also, how would this affect indicators and should we make a relevant modification there, too?

Many thanks for your help in advance!
Mika

WebFOCUS 7.6.x
PMF 5.2.x

Posts: 58 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: April 22, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
How in an ascending measure would an actual of 100 against a target of 80 be a 25% reached? Doesn't that imply that the target is 400?

We're missing details about the measure in question and the business logic behind it so that we can understand what you are trying to achieve. CAn you also provide other numeric scenarios so we'd see what would happen if actual were lower than target, if it were very low, very high, target were very low, etc, or provide the basic business logic you are trying to implement here?

OR is this supposed to be a descending measure, where if actual exceeds target it's a bad thing? In that case, set this up as a descending measure, and use basis to control the percent reached.

OR is this a situation where you have a negative flex, so that you actually have to achieve more than the stated target? In the case (A=100, T=80, Dir=Ascending, you'd have to have a massively negative flex to force 100 to be 25% of 80.

Let us know.
thanks

Bob Jude Ferrante
Director of Business and Development
WebFOCUS Performance Management
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

I'll take any questions about PMF - business or technical - anytime!

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Bob,

Thanks for your prompt reply. The measure is a ascending one and what the customer needs to see with the '% reached' or '% of Tgt' is the result of the calculation (A-T)/T * 100, as this is what they're used to seeing and using (or P-100). We'd need to see the Actual and Target values in addition to seeing the % calculated the way described above, so it is not '% reached' per se, but more of a change %. Also, Target is the value for the same period last year and not a set target.

You can use the formula above to see, what the % value would be for whatever A and T values. So, for example, these are the values the customer would need to see:

A = 80
T = 100
P = -20%

A = 5000
T = 1000
P = 400%

A = 1000
T = 5000
P = -80%

Again, there is no "real" Target, but a "comparison" value for last year is used as the target.

Cheers,
Mika

WebFOCUS 7.6.x
PMF 5.2.x

Posts: 58 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: April 22, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
OK. It sounds as if you're trying to do change in percent.

There *is* a measure aggregation type called Change in Percent, which sounds like what you're trying to do. It's on the Aggregation Type dropdown on the Measure panel. Did you try setting up and using that already?

thanks

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

Master
posted Hide Post
One note. For Change in Percent to work properly, your source data should provide last year's actuals in the field from which your targets for this year are being loaded.

You'll also find it described in the PMF docs.

thanks!

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Yes, I tried setting up a measure using 'Change in Percentage' as the aggregation method. It asks for numerator and denominator for both Actual and Target, so I'm not sure would we get what we need with that.

By using e.g. Percentage as the aggregation method we get what need, if we use 'Code' for Source with field mappings and define A-T as the numerator, T as the denominator and set up a fixed target of 100. But... we'd also need to see A and T in the gadgets and the % calculated the way described. Not a combination available out-of-the-box?

Thanks,
Mika

WebFOCUS 7.6.x
PMF 5.2.x

Master
posted Hide Post
New things do happen sometimes...
Appears you'll need a technique to get this done.

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Yes, please, a technique would be most appreciated.

I've done something similar earlier (or would it actually be exactly the same, just different calculation rules Wink , so I know we're doing calculations in a_compute_rpt_vars and a_compute_rpt_vars_i1. So, I would simply add rules for certain MEASURE_SERIES in these fexes and calculate numerator and denominator in the required way? Just wanted to be sure there isnt' a way to do this other than customizing PMF fexes before customizing anything.

Thanks again!
Mika

WebFOCUS 7.6.x
PMF 5.2.x

Gold member
posted Hide Post
An update. The technique I had used before worked well here, too, so at the moment it seems we're satisfying the % value/calculation needs almost 100%.

I customized a_compute_rpt_vars a bit and included a custom calculation routine for ACTUAL if the measure (MEASURE_SERIES) is one requiring the special % calculation.

So, at the moment, gadgets displaying % are using the custom routine, gadgets displaying actual and target don't use this routine. The only problem I'm seeing at the moment is with Threshold/Flex settings, but for the most part they're working ok, too.

I'll keep you posted once we get some user feeedback and do some more testing.

Thanks,
Mika

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mika Keranen,

WebFOCUS 7.6.x
PMF 5.2.x

Master
posted Hide Post
Re: Threshold and Flex; check in the dev guide for any advice about the calculation algorithms for those. They each get calculated as differentials from the aggregated target. If your calculations didn't take that into account, that could be where the issue is.

If you can't figure it out, post the code change and we'll look at it.

thanks

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hey Mika,

A belated response here. AFAICT, the formula you are seems to be nothing more than the PMF % Reached - 100.0. Is this correct?

EricH

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi Eric,

Yes, that's pretty much it, PMF % Reached - 100.

We've set up two sets of measures now, though, some measures are set up using Percentage as the aggregation method and a couple of measures are still Additive (? or whatever the term used is), as we need to see Actual and Target values. So, for these measures, we'd need to do the PMF % Reached - 100. Where/how could we do it?

Thanks,
Mika

WebFOCUS 7.6.x
PMF 5.2.x

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
The best place for a customization like this is in a_compute_rpt_vars_i2.fex. The field being computed is PCTRCH_&TARGET_FIELD_NAME. The recommended approach is to leave that computation as is, and then have an override just after it. This override could look something like this:

PCTRCH_&TARGET_FIELD_NAME/D20.2% = IF (MEASURE_SERIES IN (i, j, k, l, etc)) THEN 
PCTRCH_&TARGET_FIELD_NAME - 100.0 ELSE PCTRCH_&TARGET_FIELD_NAME ;  

You will need some mechanism to identify which Measures have the different calculation. In my example I'm using the MEASURE_SERIES, but there may be methods. E.g., if every Measure that uses the alternate calculation has the string 'foo' in the name, you could say

IF (MEASURE_SERIES_NAME LIKE '%foo%') THEN etc  

As a side question, can you ask your customer what business name they would give to this calculation to distinguish it from the standard PMF % Reached? Perhaps % Deviation? I'm curious.