Focal Point Banner
Community Center Education Summit Technical Support User Groups
Let's Get Social!

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube
Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Data Science Forum on Focal Point     [SHARING] Good Book on Python and Data Science
Go
New
Search
Notify
Tools

[SHARING] Good Book on Python and Data Science
 Login/Join

posted
In May 2019, Joel Grus updated his 2015 book called, "Data Science from Scratch: First Principles with Python" which provides a great overview of Predictive Analytics/AI/ML all written in Python. The Second Edition is more up to date on data science topics and uses Python 3.6.

You can get this O'Reilly book from the web or a bookstore, as well as an e-book (there are lots of figures, so a hardcopy might be best). Like many technical books, it's a bit pricey: $60 US and $80 CAN.

It's a great book covering lots of important topics. For more details, see: https://www.amazon.com/Data-Sc...8&me=&qid=1563193225

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

Sincerely,

Doug Lautzenheiser
Multiple products (FOCUS, WebFOCUS, iWay), releases (4-8.2), platforms (e.g., MVS, OpenVMS, Linux, iSeries, Windows), databases (e.g., Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, IMS, Hyperstage, etc.), integrated technologies (e.g., C/C++, R, Python)
Currently doing great things on WF8.2

Posts: 22 | Location: Midwest United States | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought the paperback for $35 on Amazon.

Thanks for the information.

(Wow - It's been a while since I used this account - 7.6.4 on XP???)

In FOCUS since 1980

Posts: 10 | Location: Lynnwood, WA | Registered: November 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for pointing out that bargain, Michael. Amazon is selling the brand new Second Edition copy for $35 even while showing the back cover with the $59.99 price!

Sincerely,

Doug Lautzenheiser
Multiple products (FOCUS, WebFOCUS, iWay), releases (4-8.2), platforms (e.g., MVS, OpenVMS, Linux, iSeries, Windows), databases (e.g., Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, IMS, Hyperstage, etc.), integrated technologies (e.g., C/C++, R, Python)

Posts: 22 | Location: Midwest United States | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am enrolled in a Masters of Data Analytics: Machine Learning that leads to a PhD in Data Science. The textbook used for two of the best courses in the program was: Discovering Statistics Using R: ISBN 978-1-4462-0045-2. I think you can find it on Amazon for about $50 new in paperback and it is about 1,000 pages of 0 to 100mph in R programming. When I am a little more established in data science, I plan on reviewing public syllabi from MIT and other leading schools - I have found the textbooks listed as required readings in their public syllabi are excellent resources.

Posts: 1 | Registered: July 11, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you need to understand the statistics behind data science, here is a great O'Reilly book that does a good job of explaining basic concepts while showing examples in the R language:

Practical Statistics for Data Scientists: 50 Essential Concepts

By Peter Bruce & Andrew Bruce
ISBN 978-1-491-95296-2

Sincerely,

Doug Lautzenheiser