Focal Point
[SHARING] Good Book on Python and Data Science

This topic can be found at:
http://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3707083196/m/2527024196

July 15, 2019, 08:28 AM
Doug at Kencura
[SHARING] Good Book on Python and Data Science
In May 2019, Joel Grus updated his 2015 book called, "Data Science from Scratch: First Principles with Python" which provides a great overview of Predictive Analytics/AI/ML all written in Python. The Second Edition is more up to date on data science topics and uses Python 3.6.

You can get this O'Reilly book from the web or a bookstore, as well as an e-book (there are lots of figures, so a hardcopy might be best). Like many technical books, it's a bit pricey: $60 US and $80 CAN.

It's a great book covering lots of important topics. For more details, see: https://www.amazon.com/Data-Sc...8&me=&qid=1563193225

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

Sincerely,

Doug Lautzenheiser
Multiple products (FOCUS, WebFOCUS, iWay), releases (4-8.2), platforms (e.g., MVS, OpenVMS, Linux, iSeries, Windows), databases (e.g., Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, IMS, Hyperstage, etc.), integrated technologies (e.g., C/C++, R, Python)
Currently doing great things on WF8.2
July 17, 2019, 05:18 PM
Michael L. Meagher
I just bought the paperback for $35 on Amazon.

Thanks for the information.

(Wow - It's been a while since I used this account - 7.6.4 on XP???)

In FOCUS since 1980

July 18, 2019, 07:42 PM
Doug at Kencura
Thanks for pointing out that bargain, Michael. Amazon is selling the brand new Second Edition copy for $35 even while showing the back cover with the $59.99 price!

Sincerely,

Doug Lautzenheiser
Multiple products (FOCUS, WebFOCUS, iWay), releases (4-8.2), platforms (e.g., MVS, OpenVMS, Linux, iSeries, Windows), databases (e.g., Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, IMS, Hyperstage, etc.), integrated technologies (e.g., C/C++, R, Python)
August 05, 2019, 12:09 PM
Sam Isaacman
I am enrolled in a Masters of Data Analytics: Machine Learning that leads to a PhD in Data Science. The textbook used for two of the best courses in the program was: Discovering Statistics Using R: ISBN 978-1-4462-0045-2. I think you can find it on Amazon for about $50 new in paperback and it is about 1,000 pages of 0 to 100mph in R programming. When I am a little more established in data science, I plan on reviewing public syllabi from MIT and other leading schools - I have found the textbooks listed as required readings in their public syllabi are excellent resources.
September 16, 2019, 08:26 AM
Doug at Kencura
If you need to understand the statistics behind data science, here is a great O'Reilly book that does a good job of explaining basic concepts while showing examples in the R language:

Practical Statistics for Data Scientists: 50 Essential Concepts

By Peter Bruce & Andrew Bruce
ISBN 978-1-491-95296-2

Sincerely,

Doug Lautzenheiser