Focal Point
[CLOSED]Chained controls in Designer

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5097041196/m/7057003196

May 14, 2019, 12:39 AM
Frans
[CLOSED]Chained controls in Designer
Does anyone know / Tested if it's possible to chain controls in a Designer page?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frans,

Test: WF 8.2
Prod: WF 8.2
DB: Progress, REST, IBM UniVerse/UniData, SQLServer, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Greenplum, Athena.
May 14, 2019, 12:46 AM
Waz
Ditto,

We will be getting into this very soon, seen demos as well.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

May 14, 2019, 11:21 AM
FP Mod Chuck
My experience has been if the master file has a hierarchy defined and those fields are used in where clauses they are automatically chained but the designer tool itself does not provide the ability to chain...

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats
May 14, 2019, 11:53 AM
Michael L Meagher
And therein lies the rub for many of us. The new tools are really great, but they require a redesign of our metadata layers that can be overwhelming for legacy systems.

If you are starting with a clean slate it is much simpler than with MFDs designed only a few years ago. Joins in your focexecs are considered poor form, although for most of the last forty years that's how you did it.

I wish the metadata layer design transition had been stressed at Summit years ago when IBI started heading that way.

Rant over Roll Eyes

WebFOCUS 8.2.03 - Production
WebFOCUS 8.2.04 - Sand Box
Windows 2012 R2 Server
HTML, PDF, Excel
In FOCUS since 1980
May 14, 2019, 12:43 PM
Michele Brady
The following thread is related to this question. Please let me know if it doesn't answer your question.

http://forums.informationbuild...7041196/m/6297071196

Director, Technical Content Support Services
May 15, 2019, 09:03 AM
Doug
So. is this saying that Chaining the controls in WebFOCUS Designer can only be done if the metadata has Hierarchy setup? I sure hope that is NOT what this is saying.

What about chaining data from 'flat' tables created from DataMigrator?
What about chaining done in HTML Composer Controls... Chaining one dropdown list to another where they are populated from fexes... The way it's been done for years?

I'll be at every Designer session that Summit has to offer, maybe even attending the same one more than once... See you there...

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206
May 15, 2019, 09:11 AM
Frans
Thanks for all the input. This means also that the chaining will only work if you use the same master for all the containers on a page?

Would be nice to have an option to have a separate masterfile for the filters.

DB: Progress, REST, IBM UniVerse/UniData, SQLServer, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Greenplum, Athena.
May 15, 2019, 09:54 AM
Doug
So, What about chaining done in HTML Composer Controls... Chaining one dropdown list to another where they are populated from fexes... The way it's been done for years?
May 15, 2019, 12:36 PM
FP Mod Chuck
Summit will definately be the best place to get answers about how designer currently behaves and how it will be enhanced. You can create the chaining with composer and then use that html form in the designer for now.

May 15, 2019, 09:47 PM
dbeagan
You can accomplish the chaining in Designer entirely within the fex:

-DEFAULT &aregion = '_FOC_NULL';
-DEFAULT &ast     = '_FOC_NULL';
-DEFAULT &acity   = '_FOC_NULL';
 TABLE FILE ibisamp/ggsales
 SUM UNITS
  BY REGION
  BY ST
  BY CITY
  BY DATE
  ACROSS PCD
  WHERE ( REGION EQ &aregion.(FIND REGION IN GGSALES|FORMAT=A11).Region.QUOTEDSTRING )
    AND ( ST EQ &ast.(FIND ST IN GGSALES|FORMAT=A02,WITHIN=aregion).State code.QUOTEDSTRING )
    AND ( CITY EQ &acity.(FIND CITY IN GGSALES|FORMAT=A20,WITHIN=ast).City.QUOTEDSTRING );
 ON TABLE SET STYLE *
 INCLUDE=IBFS:/FILE/IBI_HTML_DIR/ibi_themes/Warm.sty, $
 ENDSTYLE
 END

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dbeagan,

WebFOCUS 8.2.06
May 15, 2019, 10:02 PM
Waz
Very interesting

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

May 16, 2019, 04:28 AM
Frans
Thanks dbeagan, that sheds some light on the possibilities we have.

May 16, 2019, 10:38 AM
FP Mod Chuck
Good One That is a great technique! I love it when I learn something new!