Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED]Delimited flat file synonym problem

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED]Delimited flat file synonym problem
 Login/Join

Master
posted
I am trying to create a synonym for a delimited flat file.

I can create the synonym easily enough, and using App Studio's "check" feature to inspect it shows no errors.

But when I go to sample the data, there is a ten second delay followed by this:

0 NUMBER OF RECORDS IN TABLE=        0  LINES=      0

When I try to create a report, no fields show up in the design tool.

This used to work for me. Has anyone else encountered anything like this?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Squatch,

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 594 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 04, 2015Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You need a FILEDEF for a flat file.

FILEDEF SQUATCH DISK c:\temp\squatch.ftm

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
No, I'm just trying to sample the data using the Reporting Server.

I've found out that I can create a synonym that works for a single delimited file, but not for a collection of them. That's where you can use a percent wildcard character to specify more than one file.

For example, I want the synonym to read all the files that start with "scorecard%" in a certain directory.

I did this a few months ago and it worked fine. We've upgraded to 8.1.05 since then, so I'm wondering if that has something to do with it.

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 594 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 04, 2015Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I am now getting this error if I try to refresh the synonym in App Studio:

(FOC1515) WRONG SQL ENGINE TAG SPECIFIED DFIX

And after a 10 second delay, I get this error when sampling data:

SET GRAPHENGINE=GRAPH53
 TABLE FILE scorecard
 PRINT *
 WHERE RECORDLIMIT EQ 500
 WHERE READLIMIT EQ 500
 END
 (FOC1293) DFIX: ERROR IN REINITIALIZE WITH NEW DATA BUFFER
 (FOC000) ERROR MESSAGE TEXT MISSING:  0

Very frustrating!

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs

Master
posted Hide Post
I found out what the issue was.

When creating a synonym that reads from a collection of delimited files, you must select "One-time retrieval" instead of "File Listener".

It seems that the File Listener deletes your source files after they are processed into a report, graph, etc. That seems to be the default behavior, anyway.

It also didn't help that I was using the percent sign as a file wildcard character instead of an asterisk.

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs