Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CASE-OPENED]Dynamic prompt for filter, way to display unique listings in multiselect

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CASE-OPENED]Dynamic prompt for filter, way to display unique listings in multiselect
 Login/Join

posted
Hi -

Our report writers wish to include a dynamic prompt for a data filter, so that the multiselect displays all the possible values (from the data) for the user to select.

However, if there are values that are repeated, they are showing up multiple times in the listing, which seems less than ideal! This feature doesn't seem useful unless this is possible... any ideas for accomplishing this?

Also, in general we do NOT wish to use HTML launch pages, since our report writers operate in InfoAssist only, and distribute their reports using a Portal.

Thanks,

Tyler Schwartz

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

Tyler Schwartz
WebFOCUS 8.1.04, Windows/Tomcat7

Posts: 6 | Location: Houghton, MI | Registered: May 07, 2015Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Tyler,

In 8.0.08 there was a bad file that caused the same thing to happen for me when using dynamic prompting. There is a file that needs the be updated to resolve that issue. I don't have the file name in front of me, but probably best thing to do is open a case with ibi. They can provide you with the file that needs to be updated. I don't have my case information in front of me right now. But if you open a case and they are having trouble identifying the issue, private message me and I will give you the case number for them to look up.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
InfoAssist is not my bag (as we used to say in the 60's) but what you need to do one way or another is substitute SUM for PRINT in the code that generates your multiselect. There has to be a way to do that in InfoAssist quite easily - it's practically mandatory.

If you think that is already coded though, and you still see multiple instances of the same value, the chances are that you are dealing with a data input error where someone has added an extra invisible space at the end of a code

I see that Eric has just come up with a much more plausible solution ... Red Face

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP

Posts: 674 | Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada ... In Focus since 1985 | Registered: September 28, 2010Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Hey george,

There actually isn't a way do this in info assist. If you look up prompts in the help file (Im posting on my phone, so I can't look it up till monday), youll find that the code allows for a display and a value just like you can in the html composer. Or more acurately, like you used to be able to in report assistant. Info assist on the other hand will reject that code and error out. Making you unable to reopen your report if you make the adjustment in the text editor. I'm not sure of what the exact difference in code between the two files (8.0.08 vs the later version in which it is corrected), but if I were to venture a guess, I'm assuming somewhere in the early versions of 8.x they changed the file where it only translates a group by if you have both a display and value. in 7.7x I'm also assuming they used a distinct operator or group by when translating the sql.

This has been resolved in the more recent versions of WF, but I am unsure in which version this was actually resolved in.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Erc - your phone appears to be in a different time zone than your computer ... either that or you are travelling backwards in time !

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP

Posts: 674 | Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada ... In Focus since 1985 | Registered: September 28, 2010Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
George,

Nope no time zone change (Both posts from my phone). Just one post in the AM and the other in the PM Big Grin.

Although, the proxy at the office here goes through MST and I am in CST.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Master
posted Hide Post
BTW,

you probably already know this, but just for the sake of completeness. The syntax for creating a list of values in auto prompting is:

cmd &var.(FIND return_fieldname [,display_fieldname] IN datasource).[description.]

When InfoAssist writes the code for the FIND function, it omits the display fieldname. In 7.7.03 it will still return a unique list of values (Through using distinct/group by or however the code is designed to work), but in 8.0.08 it provides all of the values. Again I don't know what version this was resolved in, but IBI will be able to tell you.

Using the text editor or Developer studio, you can get around this issue by adding [,display_fieldname]. Then everything will work as expected. Unfortunately InfoAssist does not recognize the syntax Music and will error out if you try to open it again in InfoAssist.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Just wondering if someone has tried to create a hold file with distinct values (for the filter), and joined to the parent table (that has the field with duplicates). Then use the field/values from the "hold" file for the dropdown box. Thanks

Luiz

Posts: 117 | Location: Denver | Registered: July 27, 2005Report This Post