Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Problems linking the checkbox to a dynamic data source ...

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Problems linking the checkbox to a dynamic data source ...
 Login/Join

posted
I am trying to create a checkbox control. I link the checkbox to a dynamic data source. When I run the form, it will only allow me to select one checkbox at a time. How can I enable the form to select multiple checkboxes?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Webfocus relase 764
Linux
All mentioned including AHTML

Expert
posted Hide Post
awendt,

Unfortunately, there isn't anything you can do as the function "DoUpdateSelection" is called (even for checkboxes) that resets the checked state to unchecked for other controls in the same item.

Analysing the javascript code in ibirls2.js I believe that this is the way it is designed to work. Now this may be an oversight on the part of IB but the only way you'll get to know is by raising a case on InfoResponse to get it investigated.

Do you have the option of using a multi select combo box instead? Less space on the screen if there are more than just a few items and it works. I guess the ALL option is too restrictive for you?

T

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tony A,

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I am using a multi select combo box as a substitute. However, I found that there is a problem with multi select combos where only one will work on a form at a time. If you have more than one on a form, one works, and the others are non-functional.

My company is too cheap to buy support, so I cannot open a ticket Frowner

Thanks anyway. -Al

Webfocus relase 764
Linux

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I wasn't aware that they sold the product WITHOUT maintenance. You're on a (relatively) recent version so you should have had at least a year of maintenance. If you are not paying for support you are not able to get software updates either. Not a very good idea.

Back to the problem, there should not be any problems with multiple multi-select controls on one form. We have many set up that way. Must be something else that is causing a problem (for example all of them have the same id)

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I've been staring at the HTML Composer window for the last 20 minutes completely flummoxed at what to do.

I am at heart and soul a coder - two-finger typing can get you much further than any GUI.

But here I am, trying out the GUI. I created a simple fex with two parameters.

I opened a new document in the HTML Composer. I added a form. I added a hyperlink to the form submit button that runs the fex. The GUI determined that there are two parameters and presented a dialog box so I can select the type of control each of the two parameters are represented by on the form. For one I selected combobox, for the other I selected listbox. (I just don't understand why IBI makes a distinction between the two when the only difference is that one has multiple selection capability and the other doesn't - they're bot select form objects in the HTML code.)

Now, I'd like to dynamically populate these two select list boxes with data from the CAR file. I've poked and prodded and right-clicked every button on the GUI screen but cannot find where I turn these things into dynamically populated form objects.

. . . . .

OK, so now that I've found the Parameters tab and set up the dynamic data retrieval on the "Parameter" and not on the "form control object" I have this thing working. I could have written this by hand and been home by now.

awendt, I have a GUI designed HTML form that has two comboboxes in it and the correct data is passed to the fex.

Variable &BODYTYPE has multiple values: 'CONVERTIBLE' OR 'COUPE' OR 'HARDTOP'.
Variable &COUNTRY has multiple values: 'ENGLAND' OR 'ITALY'.

The fex - car1.fex:

-SET &ECHO=ALL;

-DEFAULT &COUNTRY = 'FOC_NONE';
-DEFAULT &BODYTYPE = 'FOC_NONE';

-? &

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT *
WHERE COUNTRY EQ &COUNTRY
WHERE BODYTYPE EQ &BODYTYPE
END
-RUN

The HTML file - gui1.htm:

<!-- Generated by Report Layout Painter -->
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<SCRIPT id=IBI_RelCallBack type=text/javascript>function AdjustChildrenPosition(){
}
</SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT id=IBI_OptionsScript type=text/javascript>
var rltVersion = "764";
var cgipath = "cgipath";
var ibirls = "ibirls2";

var rltdyncalendar = "rltdyncalendar";
var gmap = "ibigmap";
var olap="olap";
var olappanebase="olappanebase";
var olapdrill="olapdrill";

var ibixmltree="ibixmltree";

var ibiOptions = new Array(cgipath,ibirls);
</SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT id=IBI_nls src="/ibi_html/javaassist/nls.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT id=IBI_ibigbl src="/ibi_html/javaassist/ibi/html/js/ibigbl.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT id=IBI_ibigblloadCss type=text/javascript>
ibigblloadCss(null);</SCRIPT>
<TITLE>HtmlPage</TITLE>
<SCRIPT id=clientEventHandlersJS type=text/javascript>
//Begin function window_onload
function window_onload() {

UpdateData();

// TODO: Add your event handler code here
//add onInitialUpdate() function to make changes before initial run of the reports
}
//End function window_onload
</SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT for=window eventname="onload">window.onload = function() { window_onload(); }</SCRIPT>

<STYLE id=ibi_defaultstyleElt type=text/css>.tabitemsclass {
 BACKGROUND-COLOR: white
}
</STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY style="OVERFLOW: auto" edaconnectionrequired="true">
<FORM id=form2 style="Z-INDEX: 2; LEFT: 20px; WIDTH: 650px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 20px; HEIGHT: 380px" tabIndex=2 name=form2 onsubmit="OnExecute(this);return false;" method=post form_dist_between_desc_and_input="10" form_hor_dist_between_controls="10" vert_dist_between_controls="10" form_number_of_columns="4" form_number_of_visible_rows="4" form_prompt_location="1" default_slider_type="4" requests_list="0" fexlist_list="form2">
<INPUT id=form2Submit style="Z-INDEX: 3; LEFT: 20px; BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(/ibi_html/javaassist/ibi/html/describe/run16.gif); WIDTH: 38px; BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 330px; HEIGHT: 22px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: lavender" tabIndex=3 type=submit value=" " name=ITEM1> 
<INPUT id=form2Reset style="Z-INDEX: 4; LEFT: 80px; BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(/ibi_html/javaassist/ibi/html/describe/reset.gif); WIDTH: 38px; BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 330px; HEIGHT: 22px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: lavender" tabIndex=4 type=reset value=" " name=reset1> 
<FIELDSET id=form2_formbodyid style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; Z-INDEX: 5; LEFT: 5px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; OVERFLOW: auto; WIDTH: 635px; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: none; PADDING-TOP: 0px; BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: none; BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: none; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 5px; HEIGHT: 235px; BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: none" tabIndex=5 formbody="1" tempwidth="334" tempheight="111">   
<SPAN id=pane1 style="Z-INDEX: 6; LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 139px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 0px; HEIGHT: 215px" tabIndex=6 elementtype="32" name="COUNTRY">COUNTRY
<SELECT id=combobox1 style="LEFT: 0px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 30px" tabIndex=7 multiple size=4 name=COUNTRY operation="OR" sourcetype="typeMaster" datatype="1" requiredfield="1554506" boundtovariable="1" datasource="car.mas" selectedvalue="FOC_NONE" accept="0" addalloption="1" datafield="CAR.ORIGIN.COUNTRY" displayfield ibiformat="A10" dfformat="A10" defaultlocation="0,0,23,139" dynalldisplayvalue="ALL"></SELECT></SPAN>
<SPAN id=pane2 style="Z-INDEX: 8; LEFT: 149px; WIDTH: 161px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 0px; HEIGHT: 215px" tabIndex=8 elementtype="32" name="BODYTYPE">BODYTYPE
<SELECT id=combobox2 style="LEFT: 0px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 30px" tabIndex=9 multiple size=4 name=BODYTYPE operation="OR" sourcetype="typeMaster" datatype="1" requiredfield="1554506" boundtovariable="1" datasource="car.mas" selectedvalue="FOC_NONE" accept="0" addalloption="1" datafield="CAR.BODY.BODYTYPE" displayfield ibiformat="A12" dfformat="A12" defaultlocation="0,0,23,161" dynalldisplayvalue="ALL"></SELECT></SPAN></FIELDSET></FORM>
<INPUT id=layoutinfo style="LEFT: -100px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: -100px" type=hidden inputcontrolids="combobox1;combobox2">
<INPUT id=ibiapp_app style="LEFT: -100px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: -100px" type=hidden value=demo name=ibiapp_app>
<xml id=ibi_requests>
<script>

<requests>

<request requestid="0" sourcetype="typeFex" targettype="window" targetname="_blank" ibif_ex="car1.fex" ibic_server="EDASERVE" activereport="0" reportcolumns="" ibiapp_app="demo">

<variables>
<variable parametercreatedinreslay="0" displayfield="COUNTRY" format="" field="COUNTRY" file="car.mas" desc="COUNTRY" datatype="0" operation="" default="FOC_NONE" name="COUNTRY" textvarname="" accept="0" type="default" select="0" min="" max="" controltype="7" create="1"></variable>
<variable parametercreatedinreslay="0" displayfield="BODYTYPE" format="" field="BODYTYPE" file="car.mas" desc="BODYTYPE" datatype="0" operation="" default="FOC_NONE" name="BODYTYPE" textvarname="" accept="0" type="default" select="0" min="" max="" controltype="7" create="1"></variable></variables></request></requests></script>
</xml></BODY>
<SCRIPT id=IBI_loader type=text/javascript>
doBeforeLoad();
</SCRIPT>
</HTML>

What awful code is generated! But, i guess you're not supposed to look at the code.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Francis,

Looks like you spent some time here. Thanks for that.

The example you sent wasn't exactly what I was looking for. For example, you have 2 list boxes. I agree, they work. However, I was actually looking for 2 "Double List Control" widgets on one form, NOT 2 list boxes. Although, I will say that if you have 2 list boxes, with the Multiple properties set to Multiple, you have 2 multiple-value-selecting widgets on a form, and I concur it does work. This will have to be my solution, until someone figures out the 2 "Double List Control" solution(if possible.) Thanks for your work, I'll be using it in production. -Al

Webfocus relase 764
Linux