Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     where exactly the row or column total value resides

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
where exactly the row or column total value resides
 Login/Join

posted
Hi Everyone,

I have a Define Field... For which I have applied column total option. That works fine and no issues. But for some reason I wanted to perform few operations on the total generated.

Can anyone help me in knowing where exactly the Row total or Column total value resides during the executions(i.e name of the variable, if any).

Regards,
Ashok kumar M

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I assume you want to perform calculations on subtotal values (defined or otherwise). If this assumption is correct then a RECAP or COMPUTE that is associated with a by field is what you need (this happens in the internal matrix after the defines have been evaluated and the records are selected and sorted - you wanted to know where this was done). Below is more information and examples I got out of the manual about recap and compute. Good luck!!

RECAP and COMPUTE

You can use the RECAP and COMPUTE commands to create subtotal values in a
calculation. The subtotal values are not displayed;
only the result of the calculation is
shown on the report.
A BY or ON phrase is required to initialize the syntax.

Syntax How to Use Subtotals in Calculations
Both the RECAP and COMPUTE commands have similar syntax to other total and
subtotal commands.
{BY|ON} fieldname1 {RECAP|COMPUTE} fieldname2[/format] = expression;
[WHEN expression;]
where:
fieldname1
Is the field in the BY phrase. Each time the BY field changes value, a new recap
value is calculated.
fieldname2
Is the field name that contains the result of the expression.
/format
Can be any valid format. The default is D12.2.
expression
Can be any valid expression, described in Chapter 8, Using Expressions. You must
end the expression with a semicolon.

WHEN expression
Is for use with RECAP only. Specifies the conditional display of RECAP lines as
determined by a Boolean expression (see Conditionally Displaying Summary Lines
and Text on page 7-22). You must end the expression with a semicolon.
Reference Usage Notes for RECAP and COMPUTE
• RECAP uses the current value of the named sort field, the current subtotal values of
any computational fields that appear as display fields, or the last value for
alphanumeric fields.
• The field names in the expression must be fields that appear on the report. That is,
they must be display fields, or sort control fields.
• Each RECAP value displays on a separate line. However, if the request contains a
RECAP command and SUBFOOT text, the RECAP value displays only in the
SUBFOOT text and must be specified in the text using a spot marker. (For details see
Chapter 9, Customizing Tabular Reports.)
• The calculations in a RECAP or COMPUTE can appear anywhere under the control
break along with any text. (For details see Chapter 9, Customizing Tabular Reports.)
• The word RECAP may not be specified more than seven times. However, more than
seven RECAP calculations are permitted. Use the following syntax:
ON fieldname RECAP field1/format= ... ;
field2/format= ... ;
Example Using RECAP
The following request illustrates the use of a RECAP (DEPT_NET) to determine net
earnings for each department:
TABLE FILE EMPLOYEE
SUM DED_AMT AND GROSS
BY DEPARTMENT BY PAY_DATE
ON DEPARTMENT RECAP DEPT_NET/D8.2M = GROSS-DED_AMT;
WHEN PAY_DATE GT 820101
END
The output is:
Example Using Multiple RECAP Commands
You can include multiple RECAP or COMPUTE commands in a request. This option
enables you to perform different calculations at different control breaks.
The following request illustrates the use of multiple RECAP commands:
TABLE FILE SALES
SUM UNIT_SOLD AND RETURNS
BY DATE BY AREA BY PROD_CODE
ON DATE RECAP
DATE_RATIO=RETURNS/UNIT_SOLD;
ON AREA UNDER-LINE RECAP
AREA_RATIO=RETURNS/UNIT_SOLD;
END

FOCUS 7.6 MVS PDF,HTML,EXCEL

Posts: 115 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 28, 2004Report This Post