Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Emailing a report
 Login/Join

posted
I am sure this question has been asked. I have a report that will page break on an employee name. Each of these distinct reports needs to be emailed to the employee and their manager.

I would be using report caster schedule this report. What is the best way to have each report email out to each employee and the manager?

Kevin
Minnesota

Kevin

Expert
posted Hide Post
Kevin,

You have three choices, a distribution file, distribution list else a dynamic list.

The list is created in RC and will contain a row for each of the two destinations for a burst value. Maintenance is achieved by report caster generally or though you could create a maintain or other app update depending upon your caster respositoy type (MSSQL, FOCUS etc.)

The file is very similar to the list in as much that it will contain two entries for each burst value in the form -

email@address,burstvalue,$

There is a third option and that is to have a table somewhere containing containing the same data as the list or file but you would use a fex to extract the wo values. This would be a dynamic list.

The choice has to be made from local requirements as to maintenance, access, etc., etc.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Kevin, Tony

quote:
email@address,burstvalue,$

I never used the list form, but how does the system know which of the fields is the burstvalue and wich is the email address.
I use the fex version and that creates a xml file where that question is solved.
when you put the data into a maillist the busrt value comes first.

So it might be possible that you need to change the sequence of burst and mail value.

Frank

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
So are you saying that I have to have a distribution file with all my 150 employees so the burst value can find the 1 it needs?

Out of the 150 employees I may only send 5 employee reports out based on my where clause.

I am sure this is simple. If you have code samples it helps me out a lot.

Thanks for your help.

Kevin

Kevin

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
if you have a database with the names usercode(is this the burstvalue?) and the emailadress, you can run a fex like

TABLE FILE USERS
PRINT
USERCODE AS 'BURSTVALUE'
EMAILADRESS AS 'MAILADRESS'
WHERE USERGROEP EQ 'MANAGERS'
ON TABLE HOLD FORMAT PCHOLD
END

You should lookup the for the exact ASNAMES somewhere, since I'm not sure about these fields.
It creates an xml file.

Frank
Frank

Frank

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Frank,

Does the code you sent create a distribution list or is this part of the report I would generate to send out?

Kevin

Kevin

Expert
posted Hide Post
T, if i wanted to use an external list in caster, how would i tell caster where to find it?
i cant imagine i would filedef it in my fex??

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Susannah,

The file would be chosen from an APP folder.

Kevin,

The method that Frank has suggested builds a list on the fly and is dependant upon you having a table with the burst values and a corresponding email address. As you want a burst report to go to two people you would need to cater for that.

T

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tony A,

In FOCUS
since 1986

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Sorry Frank, I missed you out Frowner.

RC expects the email adress first followed by the burst value, delimited by a comma and terminated by a dollar sign.

If the list is not likely to change much then this is a good compromise.

Myself, I prefer the dynamic list if possible.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
thanks Tony,

I prefer the DL too.
very flexible.

Frank