Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Text files
 Login/Join

<Lee Roper>
posted
I am trying to convert an Excel file for use with a WebFocus master. The Excel file was originally extracted from another WebFocus file, and the layout has not altered. My problem is that Excel gives limited options for saving as a text file, so I chose tab delimited (*.txt) and on the master I chose Fix as the format. This doesn't seem to be working; data is not going into the correct fields. Is there another format I should try or another way I can save the file? I have very limited options for working data here, and because of the way my IT department has configured the server, I cannot make hold files or use the Save/Export features. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
.csv works for us here. then build a master as a COMT file . Make sure your excel sheet has perfect column headings. If you export excel as a .csv, then reopen the .csv in excel, just to check it, and it looks ok, you're probably fine.
Tab delimited is suffixed as .txt but that doesn't make it fixed format. Tab delim is def not fixform.

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
<Lee Roper>
posted
I tried that and I got the following error message: ERROR AT OR NEAR LINE 80 IN PROCEDURE
(FOC1822) WARNING. INVALID SYMBOL: >SET<
vvv
SET PCHOLD-FMT=BINARY
BYPASSING TO END OF COMMAND

Also, when I try and reopen the master file, it gives me an error saying gives me an error stating Parse Failed: Syntax error in MASTER. This even though I only changed the data source. Also, one more thing: You said to choose COMT, but when I select comma-delimited, the suffix is COM.

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
the command is giving you the error. And that command seemingly has nothing to do with reading a .csv file. Suffix depends on the nature of the file you're exporting. do you have headers or not? Generally, excel exports have headers.
(Why do you want binary format anyway? )
Your master is editable as a text file. And you don't specify the data source in a master anyway.
ARe you trying to do all of this with a GUI? I'm quite confused.

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
<Lee Roper>
posted
I've been doing most of the editing as text.

This is the command I'm using when I run procedure:

FILEDEF DATA_ARCHIVE DISK /bendata/Archive/TestData.csv
TABLE FILE DATA_ARCHIVE
PRINT
PIN
PG
LNAME
FNAME
MI
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K FORMULA
END

I don't want it as binary and don't know why it's giving me that error.

Report This Post