Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Upgrade from 7.1 to 7.6 via Parallel Run of New Instance then Rename.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Upgrade from 7.1 to 7.6 via Parallel Run of New Instance then Rename.
 Login/Join

Master
posted
We are in the process of upgrading from wf 7.1.3 to wf 7.6.2.

As suggested in the upgrade manual we are going to be building a totally new instance of webfocus with new directories, website, client and server.

For example:

For Directories we would have APPROOT=c:\wf76\ibi\apps instead of C:\ibi\apps.

We would have a new website with IIS choosing direction to it because we entered the URL with the full dns name eg electra.pnb.fleet-support.local instead of electra.

For the server and client we would have new services webfocus76 client and server instead of the normal names.

For the mr repository we would have a new database and we would copy the old tables over and apply manual fixes on p.179 of installation manual since the differences are very slight.

For the rcaster reposition we would have to use the export/import facility in chapter 9 of the manual since the databases have changed significantly.

We shall run the new instance in parallel with the old until we are satisfied and then we will remove the old instance and rename the new instance by modifying the configuration files and various registry settings. We need to do this because we have hard coded a lot of references to C:\ibi\apps in our application code.

Questions:

1. Has anyone attempted this approach in going from 71 to 76?

2. Are we going over the top in having a new directory structure when there seems to be some type of provision for using the same base directory since the installation directories are suffixed with the release number eg c:\ibi\apps\srv71 and c:\ibi\apps\WebFocus71? Would it be simpler just to have separate instances and repositories without messing with the databases.

3. I have compiled a list of configuration files where directories are set up but there is always the nagging doubt that I have missed one when I rename. Similarly I have a list of registry values but what if I miss one?

Maybe the easiest thing is to keep the new installation with c:\wf76\ibi and re code all the hard coded references to c:\ibi\apps in my code. What do people think?

4. The html files in basedir now support a 64 character file name as opposed to 8. Is the old structure backward compatible? ie can I just copy the c:\ibi\Webfocus71\basedir to c:\wf76\ibi\Webfocus76\basedir?

Thanks very much in anticipation for any feedback.

John

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2
Desktop: Dev Studio 765/XP/Office 2003 Applications: IFS/Jobscope/Maximo

Posts: 888 | Location: Airstrip One | Registered: October 06, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I see no reason why this would not work. I do things a little different. I keep all the install default directories except for the /apps directory. I change it to /apps76 to keep it in line with the other directory names. As far as hard coding, I've - more or less - removed all direct references to the file system, and do my FILEDEFs etc using the application names. This keeps apps very portable and easy to flip from one version to another.

Hope this helps

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 26, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi All,

We are currently in 7.1.6 and will be upgrading to 7.6.2 and our current setup is 1
server for all 3 environments (Dev, QA, Prod - separated by folders
d:\ibi-dev..., d:\ibi-qa...etc), IIS, caster, server & client components.

The new setup for 7.6.2 will be as follows (2 server boxes):
CRA233 (Box 1)
WF Server component
D:\ibi-dev\ibi\... (Dev)
E:\ibi-qa\ibi\... (QA)
F:\ibi-prod\ibi\.. (Prod)

ReportCaster
E:\ibi-qa\ibi\... (QA)
F:\ibi-prod\ibi\.. (Prod)

CRA227 (Box 2)
WF Client component
D:\ibi-qa\ibi\... (QA)
D:\ibi-prod\ibi\.. (Prod)

Tomcat
C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Jakarta Isapi Redirector
C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 5.5
C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Jakarta Isapi Redirector (QA)
C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 5.5 (QA)
C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Jakarta Isapi Redirector (Prod)
C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 5.5 (Prod)

IIS
wf71-dev
wf71-qa
wf71-prod

To minimize the impact of changes to our programs, we've decided to use the same
website name and port for each environment.

We have a DNS entry for wf71-dev pointing to the current 716 install. So I
updated my local host file to point to the new client CRA227. In my command prompt,
when I do "ping wf71-dev", it replies the IP address of CRA227. I also updated the
host file in CRA227 to include wf71-dev, wf71-qa, wf71-prod where all are pointing to
CRA227.

Using Dev Studio, when I define a new environment called wf71-dev and create a new
Project, it created the folder in CRA227 D:\ibi-dev\ibi\apps.

Here are my questions:
1. If I do the same for our QA, ie update the host file, create environment,
create project, it creates the folder in CRA227 but in D:\ibi-dev\ibi\apps not
in D:\ibi-qa\ibi\apps. Why is it doing that? Looking at cgivars.wfs, the approot
is pointing to D:\ibi-qa\ibi\apps.

2. Once issue #1 is resolved, we would want to have the folders (projects)
created in CRA233 instead under their respective folders:
D:\ibi-dev\ibi\apps_srv (Dev)
E:\ibi-qa\ibi\apps_srv (QA)
F:\ibi-prod\ibi\apps_srv (Prod)
We have configured CRA233 to have a lot more disk space the CRA227 as per
IBI's recommendation.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Dev: WebFOCUS 7.6.10, Data Migrator 7.6.10
QA: WebFOCUS 7.6.10, Data Migrator 7.6.10
Prod: WebFOCUS 7.6.2, Data Migrator 7.6.8
Windows 2K3, Tomcat 5.5.17, IIS 6
Usage: HTML, PDF, Excel, Self-serve, BID and MRE

Posts: 197 | Location: Roseville, CA | Registered: January 24, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Just wondering, why aren't you going up to 7.6.4?

From what I understand it has a number of fixes from 7.6.2. Granted it's "the latest and greatest" and we all know how that can be, but since we're not talking major revision levels, I would think 7.6.4 would be more appropriate.

We're *just* starting our upgrade from 5.2.x and have a few jobs so I'm certainly not the expert on the latest versions.

WebFOCUS 7.6.6/TomCat/Win2003,SQL Server 2005,Oracle

Posts: 125 | Location: New England | Registered: February 20, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
dballest

1. RickW's recommendation is absolutely right go to 764 soonest.

2. Having done the upgrade I would go down the parallel run route creating an entirely new version of all wf installation including another server process. Cut over to the new as you get them working. That way you can make mistakes to your heart's content without it being a production issue. It took me about 15 man days effort to do the switch but with the info in the notes you might do it quicker.

eg

The new setup for 7.6.2 will be as follows (2 server boxes):
CRA233 (Box 1)
WF Server component
D:\ibi-dev76\ibi\... (Dev)
E:\ibi-qa76\ibi\... (QA)
F:\ibi-prod76\ibi\.. (Prod)

ReportCaster
E:\ibi-qa76\ibi\... (QA)
F:\ibi-prod76\ibi\.. (Prod)

CRA227 (Box 2)
WF Client component
D:\ibi-qa76\ibi\... (QA)
D:\ibi-prod76\ibi\.. (Prod)

Tomcat need another 3 versions of this
C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Jakarta Isapi Redirector
C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 5.5
C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Jakarta Isapi Redirector (QA)
C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 5.5 (QA)
C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Jakarta Isapi Redirector (Prod)
C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 5.5 (Prod)

IIS
wf76-dev
wf76-qa
wf76-prod

I have successfully done this upgrade using this principle and have made notes that are detailled elsewhere.

To upgrade in-situ is quite a risk unless you absolutely know what you are doing, but if you attempt

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2
Desktop: Dev Studio 765/XP/Office 2003 Applications: IFS/Jobscope/Maximo

Posts: 888 | Location: Airstrip One | Registered: October 06, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.

Just to give you an update. We've setup the environments and now in the process of migrating the MRE, BID and RC from WF71 to WF76.

We used the utility provided, MRMIGRATE.bat in WF76. MRE is fine. All the
users, domains and reports were migrated properly.

BID looks like it was migrated. Folders were renamed under the WORP directory.
However, if I access the BID from the homepage, http://wf71-qa/ibi_apps, and
click on public views, I expected 2 views but it is still one.

Pls. help.

Thanks,
Dan

Posts: 197 | Location: Roseville, CA | Registered: January 24, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Fixed it. Had to restart the website, recycle the application pool and restart tomcat service.