Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Any way to show/Hide graph series lines similar to Google Maps layers?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Any way to show/Hide graph series lines similar to Google Maps layers?
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
I have a line graph with 4 series on it and would like to be able to hide or display any or all series on the graph allowing the user to focus on particular information. Within a Google Map you can hide or display layers of markers so users can view what's underneath. This is especially useful if there is a big cluster of markers.

Can anyone think of a way that we might do this with a WebFOCUS graph?

Thanks,

Norb

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Norb Eckert,

prod:7.6.9, win2k3 mre, caster, bid, devstudio 7.6.9

Posts: 242 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: February 16, 2006Report This Post
<MLerner>
posted
Norb,
I sent this question over to our Visualization PM. What I can tell you for sure is that you can do this in Active Reports. Active Reports let's you hide any of the series in use via the Chart Tool. Perhaps we can integrate this into our core charts as we will be rolling out a whole new JavaScript based charting engine starting in WF 8/7704 server with a lot more to come throughout 2012.

Regards,
Matthew

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Perhaps you could wrap the graph in some HTML that will rerun the graph with the unwanted columns noprinted ?

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Waz,

Your suggestion is probably the route I will have to take. Didn't really want to rerun the query though.

Thanks,

Norb

Posts: 242 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: February 16, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
If you use the applet, I wonder if you can manipulate the parameters, and actively hide the series ?

Pure Speculation....

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Matt,

How's things?! I took a look at the active report and I can't even get the graph to look like I want it to. Consequently I can't even consider hiding any series so I'll probably consider a javascript approach. I'm sure I'm just not skilled enough with the Active Reports.

Matt, I'm curious what IB's plans are for Flex now that Adobe has thrown it under the bus. First the dumped mobile Flash and then shortly afterward nixed Flex. Are you guys gonna hit HTML5 hard for animating objects similar to Flex? And what happens to Enable? I realize that a new version of Flex is being released but if you read Adobe's press release - it's game over! What do you think?

Thanks,

Norb

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Norb Eckert,

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Waz - applet? "What you talking about Willis?"

Sorry, that's a reference to an old, and not very good, American television show.

Expert
posted Hide Post
We all use the same strokes here...

If I can find the time, I might check this out and see if its plausable.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Clever Waz!!! Good One

I'm curious to see what you come up with - if you have time, of course. This is a nice to have type of thing.

See ya,

Norb

Expert
posted Hide Post
Well its not looking good the the idea I had.

The charting applet is well locked down, and very few methods are exposed.

I'll keep looking, but don't expect anything soon.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Waz,

I looked into filtering the output via a WHERE statement and the results are generated quickly enough that I will use HTML checkboxes to do the "show/hide" stuff.

Thanks for your help,

Norb

<JG>
posted
quote:
Perhaps we can integrate this into our core charts as we will be rolling out a whole new JavaScript based charting engine starting in WF 8/7704 server with a lot more to come throughout 2012.

Does this mean that the current Java TDG graphics are being depreciated?

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
JG,

Now I'm also wondering if there will be an API available or will all graph creation need to be done via the GUI or Charting tool? I don't know about you but I tend to cut and paste a lot of graph API calls/code rather than using the GUI tools. And as a matter of fact, the Advanced Graph GUI tool won't even in our current configuration (thus I'm awaiting a clean install to ver 7.7.03) so I'm forced to code.

<JG>
posted
I certainly have to create a lot of strange graphs.

The Advanced graph assistant is much better than the old tool but you still have to do a lot by hand, If you need something different (or what the customer wants).

Case in point, I have just created a chart that has 51 annotations (needed to insert a data grid).

Tool no way, max 4 annotaions.

When, If we get the docs then we'll know.

Report This Post
<MLerner>
posted
At this point in time we are not deprecating the Java TDG graphics. If a decision is made to do so we will provide an announcement as well as a migration path.

Regards,
Matthew

Report This Post