Focal Point
[CLOSED] changing an enivironment setting for a users session

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/1077012876

September 03, 2015, 10:16 AM
Trudy
[CLOSED] changing an enivironment setting for a users session
I would like to be able to change the connection_attribute on the following command

ENGINE SQLORA SET CONNECTION_ATTRIBUTES DBNAME DB1/testsvr,C1376E053050CB78

There are four possible connections that the user can choose from each with their own connection information.

DB1
DB2
DB3
DB4

DBNAME is set in the edasprof.prf file to the default database and the metadata is created using this DBNAME. So setting the connection attribute for a users session will allow them to switch to different databases on the fly. The part that I don't know how to do is write the procedure/command that the user will run to do this, conceptually I know how to do this but being new to WF I don't know which method would be the most effective. I envision a drop down box with the various DB's listed and then the user selecting their choice and setting the connection attribute. I think what is throwing me is that there is no output that is produced once the user makes the selection. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Trudy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

WF8
Windows
September 07, 2015, 12:39 AM
StuBouyer
Hi Trudy

We do this all the time. Usually we have a global variable (&&DBName) that we either put into an individual FEX or a user profile.

ENGINE SQLORA SET CONNECTION_ATTRIBUTES DBNAME &&DBNAME/testsvr,C1376E053050CB78

We then have a parameter on a login screen that allows the user to select the DB connection.

If you really want to you can create a FEX that simply sets the global variable and then returns a simple HTML page informing them of the change

Stu

WebFOCUS 8.2.03 (8.2.06 in testing)