Focal Point
[CLOSED] Differences in Code Depending on Location

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/1097093196

July 02, 2019, 12:12 PM
mbondr
[CLOSED] Differences in Code Depending on Location
Is there any difference to the allowed code between, for instance, a fex and a masterfile? I mean, yeah, some things don't make sense in a masterfile, like the hyphen in col 1 for display manager. But if I put it in a masterfile, would it compile as a no-op? Can I use an IF statement in a display manager statement? Could I create a hold file in a masterfile? How flexible is the syntax?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS 8.2.04 (and climbing)
Windows 10, AppStudio
July 02, 2019, 12:20 PM
BabakNYC
You can have both DEFINEs and COMPUTEs with IF-THEN-ELSE in them both in a FEX and in a Master file. The language makes it very flexible. You can also have Variables in a Master. Using the combination of these elements you can also invoke Master file profiles where use of a Master file will trigger the execution of a fex. I'm not sure what the display manager is but if you mean Dialogue Manager, that's not allowed in a Master file. But you'll have to be a little more specific about your requirement for me to give you a yes no answer.

When you consider the flexibility of the metadata, language and scripting power of Dialogue Manager, I'd say it is exceedingly flexible syntax.

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows