Focal Point
[CLOSED] Auto prompting - HTTP 500 error - Larger Report

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/1107040895

February 02, 2011, 02:27 PM
trob
[CLOSED] Auto prompting - HTTP 500 error - Larger Report
I am having a problem with the auto prompting on my report. Its a large report, about 2000 lines. I keep getting the HTTP 500 error message when I try to run the report. If I take the auto prompting out it runs fine. It seems that auto prompting seems to cause this error after about 1000 lines or so. Does anyone have any suggestions?

An HTTP 500 error has been returned while processing the web components. The application server log contains information on why this error has occurred. Contact your application administrator or your software vendor support center for further assistance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

------------------------------------------
DevStudio 8.2.03
WFS 8.2.03
February 02, 2011, 02:55 PM
j.gross
When Automprompting is triggered, the reporting server composes and returns an Autoprompt page in which the entire request is embedded, so that when the browser responds the WF client will receive the user's parameter values along with a parameter containing a fresh copy of the original request -- in other words, your entire 2000-line fex gets pass back and forth several times amongst WF server, WF client, and the browser. Possibly some line of your code gets corrupted in the process.

Try this: factor out the guts of your 2000-line request as a fex file in an APP folder of the server library, and submit just a stub fex that declares the amper variables (to trigger the autoprompt) followed by a server-side (non-MR) -INCLUDE referencing that fex. See if that stabilizes the execution.
February 02, 2011, 03:42 PM
trob
Errr. Ok.

I changed the thread stack size on the tomcat server to 512 and that fixed it however I don't like straying from the default install because sooner or later that setting will change and things break again.

I thought about breaking the report up, maybe I'll try that next.

------------------------------------------
DevStudio 8.2.03
WFS 8.2.03
February 03, 2011, 07:36 AM
Brian Suter
We should not HTTP500 though!
I would have thought it was the Tomcat POST size limit. It's the only app server we know that ships with a small limit. It should be zero or much higher. (When WF now installs Tomcat, we set it to 0).

Brian Suter
VP WebFOCUS Product Development
February 03, 2011, 07:42 AM
Brian Suter
On second thought, the default maxPostSize is 2MB. I doubt a 2000 line fex gets that big!

Brian Suter
VP WebFOCUS Product Development