Focal Point
[CLOSED] IBIF_max_messages and EDASERVE errors

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/112107473

February 19, 2010, 05:29 AM
lalita
[CLOSED] IBIF_max_messages and EDASERVE errors
Hi,

There are two reports that I am having issues with.

1) The first report works well in PROD but fails in SIT and UAT giving the below error ---

Reporting Server messages exceeded IBIF_max_messages, report retrieval aborted.

Please, contact your WebFOCUS administrator.

2) The second report works well in PROD and SIT but fails in UAT giving the below error --

Unknown error occurred. Agent on reporting server EDASERVE may have crashed. Please investigate reporting server log.

Points to be noted ---

a) All the three versions (SIT, UAT, PROD) of fexes and metadata are same.

b)Rest of the reports in SIT and UAT are working.

Please let me know if you have any solution.

Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Windows
PDF,EXL2K,HTML
February 19, 2010, 08:06 AM
fatboyjim
Hi,

The first issue you may have debug (ie. -SET &ECHO=ALL or tracing can be on...etc) on so you may hit the limit in your test box. It may be that the limit is set lower compared to your PROD box. The default is set to 20000 lines for IBIF_max_messages. If you want it to be unlimited, set it to zero.

The second issue is more vague, it could be something like missing double quotes in code, join statements not cleared, ...etc (at least those were the ones that I've encountered, of course there are definitely more).

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Jimmy Pang

DEV: WF 7.6.10
TEST: WF 7.6.10
PROD: WF 7.6.10
MRE: WF 7.6.4
OS/Platform: Windows
Dev Studio: WF 7.7
Output: HTML, EXCEL, PDF, GRAPH, LOTUS, CSV
February 19, 2010, 09:28 AM
GinnyJakes
Lalita, even though the programs and masters are the same, it doesn't mean that the data is. You may be pointing to dev, trial, and prod versions of data. IBIF_max_messages oftentimes means that the focexec is having trouble handling the data that comes in and throws an error for each record that fails until it reaches the threshold and fails. The easiest way to diagnose this problem is to put a recordlimit in the program, very small, so that you don't crash and can see the error. Once you know what the error is, you can attempt to fix it.

That is how I would start to diagnose the problem. Please post your results of this exercise.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google
February 19, 2010, 09:30 AM
jbanas6
Check your dialogue manager statements. My guess is you could have put it in an infinite loop.

WF 7.6.10 /IIS 6/ JBoss Enterprise 4.3
Windows XP SP 2/Windows 2003 Server
MVS 7.3.3
February 22, 2010, 06:30 AM
lalita
Hi,

I tried printing just one record but it is still giving the Max messages error.

And reg the infinite loop data is coming till the last hold file, it is just that the report is not coming up.

Thanks.

Windows
PDF,EXL2K,HTML
February 22, 2010, 09:25 AM
GinnyJakes
You can't fix the problem until you know what it is. Have you tried running a trace, server-side? You might have to go through a lot of text before you find the error message but once you find it, you'll know what you have to fix. Give it a shot.

Ginny
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google
February 22, 2010, 09:32 AM
Severus.snape
Hi Lalita,

Not sure if this might be the issue with your case, but quite a few times I had encountered Max messages error because of having multilple Label names for a GOTO stmt.
WF parser would look for a single Label for a GOTO but if you have multiple Labels then this error would pop up.
Just check on it.

thanks
Sashanka

WF 7.7.03/Windows/HTML,PDF,EXL
POC/local Dev Studio 7.7.03 & 7.6.11
February 22, 2010, 02:22 PM
Carol Dobson
Another thought is - if you have -TYPE statements in the code, you may need to remove them.

WebFOCUS 7.6.6/TomCat/Win2k3
February 23, 2010, 08:02 AM
lalita
Hi,

@fatboyjim -- Could you please let me know where the IBIF_max_messages limit is set to a default value either 20000 or 0 ? Thanks.

Windows
PDF,EXL2K,HTML
February 23, 2010, 08:20 AM
fatboyjim
Hi Lalita,

I'm not a webFOCUS administrator at my company so unfortunately I can not tell you exactly where the problem is.

But here are a couple of links that may point you in the right direction.

1) Possible causes of the error:
http://documentation.informati.../source/topic101.htm

2) Possible solution:
http://techsupport.information...om/sps/52732528.html

NOTE: Not sure if it's always a good idea to set to unlimited as that may cause very large log file. So you should find out the limit that is best.

Best Regards,

Jimmy Pang

DEV: WF 7.6.10
TEST: WF 7.6.10
PROD: WF 7.6.10
MRE: WF 7.6.4
OS/Platform: Windows
Dev Studio: WF 7.7
Output: HTML, EXCEL, PDF, GRAPH, LOTUS, CSV
February 23, 2010, 09:22 AM
GinnyJakes
IBIF_max_messages is defined in the WebFOCUS Client Console under Configuration/Client Settings/General, near the bottom. You must be an admin to change this.

For this particular issue, I wouldn't raise it. I'd lower it so that the termination happened much more quickly and turn on client and server traces. You cannot solve this problem until you know what the error is, especially if you've ruled out the other suggested causes in this thread. My experience is that these are often data problems.

Ginny