Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SHARING] Derby - Anyone using it for MRE and ReportCaster?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SHARING] Derby - Anyone using it for MRE and ReportCaster?
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
WebFOCUS Newsletter >> Current Issue >> Get a Jump Start on Apache Derby

This document has some details on installing and setting up Derby. A couple of images are missing from the online document, namely the ones that show how to configure the MRREALM driver.

I'd like to know if anyone has had success with this and if they'd like to share any tips.

Thank you,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
The article is also available in a webfocus newsletter, which can be downloaded here. This document does contain the images.
BTW, I haven't looked at Derby (aka Cloudscape) yet.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Gamp,

Thanks for the link. Meanwhile, IBI has corrected the online document.

I was hoping someone would share their experience with installing/using Derby.

Cheers,

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I tried this a few years ago with an old release much before there was even talk of using Derby to replace the basedir (I think I was using 762, but it might have been as late as 764).

I was attempting to use the embedded driver of Derby instead of the network version.

I seem to recall having a difficult time getting the Realm Util to actually create the repository tables, though I had no problem with ReportCaster.

Based on the article I either did something wrong when I tried this, the Realm Util handles the network version of Derby very differently from the embedded, or the technique outlined only works properly with later releases of WebFOCUS. At the time I was just playing around with Derby, and didn't have the time to troubleshoot properly to see what was actually going on.

Just in case anyone else has any trouble, however, you can verify if the tables are created properly by using the following free tool called DbVisualizer:

http://www.minq.se/products/dbvis/

The product is a JDBC Driver based database manager. It allows you to connect to any database using JDBC and view table structures, run SQL commands, etc.

Since as far as I remember there is no GUI tool for managing a Derby database, this is extremely handy when checking out what is going on in Derby.

WF 71.x, 76.x, 7701, 8.0 Beta OS: Linux, Win2k3, Win2k, Win2k8, WinXP

Posts: 203 | Registered: November 19, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Doug, thanks very much for the information.

I haven't started the exercise yet, but I think I recall the documentation suggesting the network version is the one to use.

Cheers,

Francis