Focal Point
security/logon issue

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/1151087331

June 10, 2004, 09:19 PM
Stan
security/logon issue
I've got some flat files stored in secure directories on a UNIX server in a directory that might look like: /home/stansdirectory/flatfile.txt

I need my self service application to be able to read flatfile.txt, but flatfile.txt is set for permissions with read-write only for the owner and noone else. Our SSAs have typically run using webfoc as person running the query. Is there an easy way to make an individual user run the query rather than our generic ID so that the user can view the files they own and noone else's?

Currently my program runs as webfoc and is not allowed to read the file because it is owned by an individual.
June 14, 2004, 11:22 AM
<Grzegorz>
When the WebFOCUS Server is configured with SECURITY=ON the query is performed with the uid of the operating system user corresponding to the IBIC_user, and the system permissions are respected.
(checked it on Solaris 8 with WF 5.2.1)

If it is acceptable to let the users logon to Reporting System using their Unix username as IBIC_user and Unix password as IBIC_pass,
then it is the simple and easy solution.

If you have to use the SECURITY=OFF mode, or to use "fixed" IBIC_user (set in cgivars.wfs or similar), the situation is more difficult, at least I do not have any idea how to solve it in easy way.

Regards
Grzegorz