Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Non-table format for a report

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Non-table format for a report
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
I have a request for an unusual report format. It's not your ordinary table looking format. It's more of a screen format. I told the user that I will try to come as close as possible. My report is currently working, but it is in a table like format, which is nothing close to this.
Well... here is a sample concept of the request:

DATA IN A FIX FORMAT MVS FLAT FILE FROM A COBOL PROGRAM:

|----------------------------------------- FLAGS AND TO EMAIL OCCURS 3 TIMES ---------------------------------------------|
SENDER EMAIL F1 F2 F3 TO EMAIL F1 F2 F3 TO EMAIL F1 F2 F3 TO EMAIL
------------------------------ --- --- --- ------------------------------ --- --- --- ------------------------------- --- --- --- ------------------------------
J.SMITH@STI.COM Y Y N J.BATES@STI.COM Y Y Y B.GATES@STI.COM N Y Y R.BOYD@STI.COM
T.SMITE@STI.COM Y Y N B.GONE@STI.COM Y Y Y D.YOUNG@STI.COM N N N B.LINE@STI.COM
X.CON@STI.COM N N Y B.KING@STI.COM N Y Y B.MAC@STI.COM Y N N K.KONG@STI.COM

...CONT

TIME SENT SUBJECT BODY1 BODY2 BODY3
----------------- ---------------------------------- ---------------------------------- ----------------------------------- -----------
103000 TEST EMAIL THIS IS A TEST EMAIL. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY.
132033 TEST FORWARD MAIL THIS IS A TEST FW EMAIL. DO NOT REPLY.
020013 TEST AUTOREPLY THIS IS A TEST AUTOREPLY. DO NOT REPLY.

REPORT FORMAT (FOR A COUPLE OF RECORDS):

PAGE 1 PAGE HEADER
REPORT NAME RUN AT TIME ON DATE

TIME SENT : 10:30:00
FROM EMAIL : J.SMITH@STI.COM
SUBJECT : TEST EMAIL
BODY THIS IS A TEST EMAIL.
PLEASE DO NOT
REPLY.

F1 F2 F3 TO EMAIL
Y Y N J.BATES@STI.COM
Y Y Y B.GATES@STI.COM
N Y Y R.BOYD@STI.COM

PAGE 2 PAGE HEADER
REPORT NAME RUN AT TIME ON DATE

TIME SENT : 13:20:33
FROM EMAIL : J.SMITE@STI.COM
SUBJECT : TEST FORWARD MAIL
BODY THIS IS A TEST FW.
EMAIL. DO NOT
REPLY.

F1 F2 F3 TO EMAIL
Y Y N J.GONE@STI.COM
Y Y Y D.YOUNG@STI.COM
N N N B.LINE@STI.COM

...AND SO ON.

I am still new to programming in WebFocus, so the best I can do so far is to do a table file request like the following:

TABLE FILE DATASET
HEADING CENTER
"PAGE HEADER"
"REPORT NAME RUN AT TIME ON DATE"
" "
PRINT
BODY1
BODY2
BODY3
F1
F2
F3
TO_EMAIL
BY TIME_SENT
SUBJECT
SENDER_EMAIL
END
-RUN

I used the POSITION command in my masterfile to define the occurs fields.
so all the flags and TO_EMAIL will appear for each record.

Sorry for the lengthy email, and thank you for your patience.

Thanks,
Ronnel C
WebFocus 7.1.5
IBM ZOS 1.6

Posts: 44 | Location: Fort Wayne, IN | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
If it is display only to the screen so to speak( that is HTML), have you you tried

SET STYLEMODE = FIXED

You may also have to set WIDTH and PANEL as well.

Leah

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
...oh yeah. Another thing about this repot is that it goes to a software called Mobius, which only takes text format.
So any styling does not apply because I have to set print=offline.

Thanks,
Ronnel C
WebFocus 7.1.5
IBM ZOS 1.6

Posts: 44 | Location: Fort Wayne, IN | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Try the following, see if that helps:
FILEDEF OUTPUT DISK pathName/output.txt
TABLE FILE TEST238
PRINT F1 AS ''
      F2 AS ''
      F3 AS ''
      TO_EMAIL AS ''
BY TIME_SENT NOPRINT PAGE-BREAK
HEADING
" PAGE HEADER"
" REPORT RUN AT &TOD ON &DATEMDYY"
" "
" TIME SENT: <TIME_SENT"
" FROM E-MAIL: <SENDER_EMAIL"
" SUBJECT: <SUBJECT"
" BODY: <BODY1"
" <BODY2"
" <BODY3"
" "
"F1 F2 F3 TO EMAIL"
FOOTING
" "
" "
" "
ON TABLE HOLD AS OUTPUT FORMAT WP
END

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
That is a great idea.
I haven't tried it yet.
But I can already see it's going to work.
I guess ideas like this would only come from experience and not from books.

Thanks,
Ronnel C
WebFocus 7.1.5
IBM ZOS 1.6

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Ronnel

Experience does help, and not everything can be in books, WebFOCUS is such a rich language that there is nearly always multiple solutions to any problem.

But also this is why this forum is so important to all, new and old alike. I learn new things regularly.

Anyway, hope this works for you.

Thanks,

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
It's working great!... What a relief!
Thank you everybody for all your replies.
Thanks Alan!

Thanks,
Ronnel C
WebFocus 7.1.5
IBM ZOS 1.6