Focal Point
[OPEN] Embed images in Focal Point messages

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/1177045986

March 08, 2018, 01:30 PM
Francis Mariani
[OPEN] Embed images in Focal Point messages
It would be nice if there was a definitive solution to including images in Focal Point messages.

Organizations are increasingly blocking access to image and file storage sites. I was using Cloudinary (suggested by Master GavinL) until I was blocked because "Category: online-storage-and-backup".

Why hasn't Information Builders worked with the forum software maker (Eve/Groupee?) to come up with a proper solution.

We're all trying different ways to include images, and some of us don't even know how (though there's an entry in the FAQ). Now more than ever, with everything going GUI, we truly need a proper solution. Has anyone noticed that describing a GUI tool without illustration can get quite clumsy?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
March 08, 2018, 01:34 PM
MartinY
Good One
Nice Thread

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007
March 08, 2018, 02:06 PM
Francis Mariani
According to this post, attachments can be added to an Eve/Groupee message:

Social Strata / Eve Community / Knowledge Base / How Do I Enable Or Disable Attachments In A Forum?

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
March 08, 2018, 02:10 PM
Francis Mariani
Oh, well, this software looks like it's dead in the water...

Francis

March 08, 2018, 02:43 PM
Waz
Time to push for a new forum engine.

The one tested a couple of years ago had promise.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

March 08, 2018, 03:13 PM
Francis Mariani
Waz, I could be wrong, but I recall it looked garish and I'm not sure if we could insert code as code...

Francis

March 08, 2018, 03:20 PM
Waz
I thought you could, and paste images, but the general look was't that good.

Funny thing is , a lot of sites now look that way.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

March 08, 2018, 04:08 PM
FP Mod Chuck
It's funny you guys bring this up. I am actually testing out a new forum engine and it is much improved for everything you have brought up.

Stay tuned as I don't know when the roll out of this will happen.

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats
March 08, 2018, 04:31 PM
Kathleen Butler
Hi - I am looking at the Hoopla version which is the next level up. I just started to evaluate this actually this week. I will need your help as well.

Would a few Focal Point members be willing to be part of the testing with Chuck and I?

I would need just a handful of people from the forum but it will require a few hours of your time - not much I promise.

I am debating on adding the upload functionality but we can discuss this once we form the beta group to evaluate. I will setup a private forum for us once established.

Thanks!

Kathleen Butler
Senior Customer Care and Communications Manager
Information Builders
March 08, 2018, 04:34 PM
Waz
Count me in

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

March 08, 2018, 11:08 PM
Danny-SRL
Idem.

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

March 09, 2018, 06:43 AM
Tony A
Hi Kathleen,

I'll help when I can.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 
March 09, 2018, 09:04 AM
Francis Mariani
Me too, please.

Francis

March 09, 2018, 11:05 AM
Michael L Meagher
I can help also

WebFOCUS 8.2.03 - Production
WebFOCUS 8.2.04 - Sand Box
Windows 2012 R2 Server
HTML, PDF, Excel
In FOCUS since 1980
March 12, 2018, 08:49 AM
Francis Mariani
The capability of including an image via a method that won't be blocked is essential.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

March 12, 2018, 03:43 PM
FP Mod Chuck
Francis

It is like attaching an image to an e-mail. No posting it to another site and referencing it via a link

March 12, 2018, 03:54 PM
Francis Mariani
quote:
It is like attaching an image to an e-mail. No posting it to another site and referencing it via a link

Wunderbar!

Francis

March 13, 2018, 06:24 AM
Don Garland
I don't post as often as I should but when I do, every single time I wish there was a way to [easily] paste an image into the post. But, this post got me thinking about it and I wonder what the unintended consequence[s would] be, when Focal Pointers can easily replace 1000 words with 1 image? Well let's see;

For one, they will likely post more often because it's easier. Wait that's probably an intended consequence.

When Focal Pointers search for issues, images will probably speed up their understanding of the context of the post. Wait, another likely intended consequence.

But, you can't search on an image, will searching become less effective due to less searchable descriptions?

In the current system, Focal Pointers provide lots of code examples, some with problems, the conversation often is code ping pong where code is fixed and what-ifed back and forth. It's awesome. I'm sure that will still happen, but will Focal Pointers start posting images of code? I'm betting an increase of posted code from View Source. Not searchable, not usable. Then the opposite happens, posted code is more difficult to pick up, add too and re post.

[SHARING] will be much better and I think we will see more of it. There will be an increase in more document like [SHARING] when images can be easily embedded.

Tags will be even more import. www.stackoverflow.com does a great job with this aspect of their site.

Overall, I'm looking forward to better image capability within Focal Point.

WebFOCUS Administrator @ Worldpay FIS
PROD/DEV/TEST: 8204, SANDBOX: 8206 soon - BIP, Reportcaster, Resource Manager, EUM, HyperStage soon, DB: HIVE,Oracle,MSSQL
March 13, 2018, 09:17 AM
Francis Mariani
I don't think the problem will be "images of code", the problem will be 'images of GUI screens'.

Francis

March 13, 2018, 04:17 PM
Doug
Count me in too! Smiler

I usually upload images to my website and use the "Image URL" button (above ribbon, 3rd from the right) and that works.

Here's a sample, I am currently on assignment at

March 21, 2018, 12:04 PM
Francis Mariani
What's the status of this?

Francis

March 21, 2018, 12:45 PM
CoolGuy
Count me in if there's still room. I'd love to help. I agree with Don on the need for tagging and standards for posting to some degree. We don't want to see a huge image of something with only an unformatted, no grammar use at all in place "help" or "please advise" at the bottom of said image...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CoolGuy,

8.2.02M (production), 8.2.02M (test), Windows 10, all outputs.
March 21, 2018, 03:50 PM
Kathleen Butler
Hi - We are in the process of setting up a demo site and I will be in touch towards the end of next week once ready.

Thanks so much.

Kathleen Butler
Information Builders
March 21, 2018, 03:51 PM
Francis Mariani
Thanks for the update Kathleen.

Regards,

Francis

April 03, 2018, 12:08 PM
Francis Mariani
Unless I am missing something, I can't seem to post code in the new forum.
The <> icon opens the existing post text in an HTML edit window - not what we need to post code.

Francis

April 03, 2018, 12:18 PM
FP Mod Chuck
Francis

The new text editor allows you to post code directly in there without the need for <>, I tried it out and appears to look OK to me

April 03, 2018, 05:06 PM
Waz
Hmmm, I guess I didn't make it in.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984