Focal Point
[CLOSED] Messages on Dashboards

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/1197068096

October 21, 2018, 10:32 PM
RobertF
[CLOSED] Messages on Dashboards
so we have a sql table we write status's to and have a little report we put on our dashboards. typical messages show vintage of data, if refreshes are done etc.

I'd like to do something a little different. Lets say data failed to refresh altogether. I'd like to have a message I can put on a given page saying: DATA HAS NOT BEEN REFRESHED!!!

I can do this, and I can make it a big font. Can I make it blink?

I have another one. Some dashboards simply take time to refresh. Yes WF says: Loading...

Can we have a message though that say appears after 30 second saying Refreshe still in progress.

Curious how these things might be done.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS 8206.08
Windows, All Outputs
October 22, 2018, 05:02 AM
Dave
The problem with the 'loading' is that any code you've added isn't available.

Only thing you can do is have another report on the same page access the your little report. If after a certain periode the contents are still 'loading' then replace the source code for your little report's frame.

And blinking.. make a animate GIF. Or use CCS3 transitions. You could animate the transparency between 0% and 100% ( or 25% and 100% )

G'luck,
Dave

October 22, 2018, 10:25 AM
RobertF
Thoughts on how I might measure the 30 seconds and evaluate if my data is still loading?

WebFOCUS 8206.08
Windows, All Outputs
October 22, 2018, 02:32 PM
lenny
In your status table could you have refresh started and ended times? Maybe before displaying anything you can check if a refresh is in progress and send them a refresh in progress message rather than using the loading elapsed time.

WebFOCUS 8202M
Client: Windows Server 2012R2/Tomcat 8.0/IIS
Server: IBM i v7r2m0
MS-SQL
October 23, 2018, 01:50 PM
RobertF
sounds like a plan...but how do I programmatically check to see if a program is running and how do I measure (capture) the time?

WebFOCUS 8206.08
Windows, All Outputs
October 24, 2018, 02:29 AM
Dave
You will have to check the contents of the frame.

if it contains the text "please wait" ( or whatever you default wait html says ) then it isn't done.

October 24, 2018, 12:50 PM
RobertF
What would the code look like..I cannot seem to find a reference to that anywhere.

I do know we were taught to reference an HTML page (that says: 'Process Complete')...as the final statement of the fex...so the user sees: Loading...and when done (error or not) the html fills the box and says 'Process Complete...'

But I have know idea what /where to check for the process running...

WebFOCUS 8206.08
Windows, All Outputs
November 01, 2018, 01:22 PM
FP Mod Chuck
Robert

I have been waiting to see the answer to this as well because there are too many moving parts in this scenario...

You may need to open a case to see if this is really possible.

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats
November 02, 2018, 10:06 AM
RobertF
me too

Smiler

WebFOCUS 8206.08
Windows, All Outputs