Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Access the Groups and Subgroup names for the Current logged in User

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Access the Groups and Subgroup names for the Current logged in User
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Hi All.
I need to get the group and subgroup names for the currently logged in user.

Currently i am using &IBIMR_memberof to get the groups and usergroups.

When i run -
-TYPE &IBIMR_memberof
in my domain then this variables gives me the corresponding names of the groups and sub groups.

But when i run the same fex in my edaserver it prompts me the parameter value for &IBIMR_memberof variable.

I have set the value in the Client Custom setting.
IBIMR_memberof(pass)

Not sure why this is not working in the Edaserver?
How we can get the Groups information for the currently logged in user in Edaserver?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

Webfocus 8.x
Windows
PDF,HTML,XLSX

Posts: 58 | Location: India | Registered: June 01, 2018Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Rajesh,

Welcome to the forum.

Are you executing the code directly on the reporting server ?

IF so, then this is the issue, as the &IBIMR_memberof variable is created via the web client and passed to the reporting server.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi Waz,

Basicallly i need to apply the DBA security.
after creating mdf profile and doing all the stuff required for it and then i run my master file ideally it should filter the data but when i do that i am getting error where i have used &IBIMR_memberof variable.
So i guess the server is not recognising the variable. Also i have passed the users and the groups from client to the erver in administrative console settings.

Webfocus 8.x
Windows
PDF,HTML,XLSX

Expert
posted Hide Post
Whats the error ?
Can you post the Master and MFD Profile ?

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi Raj

In general, it sounds like you want to rely on how a Users's Security is set up in the Client (via Security center groups).

The catch is that if you're running straight off the WF Reporting Server, it doesn't know much of anything about the client Security setup. It only knows how the security is set up on the WFRS (WebFOCUS Reporting Server). You can create users and groups on the WFRS to function sort of like what you see over in the Security Center of the client.

You're not really stuck if you're using External Security (like Active Directory for example) to know what Groups a person belongs to. If you use AD on the Client side and "MAP" an external Group to a WF Group, you can use that same concept on the WFRS directly. It's a little extra work.

Let me ask a question though. Are you really going to let users run directly from the WFRS (as we used to do with "self service" applications pretty often)?

If you're always going to come from the client, or new enough report caster, the client variables &FOCSECUSER and &FOCSECGROUP are something you could use.

My guess is that you're using site.wfs on the client to populate the missing value you're seeing on the WFRS.

There's an older paper that is really geared toward making Software as a Service applications and how you'd handle security there, but it talks about the relationship between the Client Security Center and the WFRS groups / users. Might be worth a look:

Creating Access Control Templates to Support Domain-Specific Application Directories

I used to be pretty good at that stuff.

Hope that helps a little. If you can make the user come in using the WF Client instead of going straight to the WFRS, that might be your fasted route.

Toby Mills, CISSP

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi Toby and Waz yes i got the solution to my problem instead of using &IBIMR_Memberof i am using &FOCSECGROUP.
Thanks Guys. Smiler

Webfocus 8.x
Windows
PDF,HTML,XLSX

Expert
posted Hide Post
BTW, with &FOCSECUSER and &FOCSECGROUP, there is also &FOCSECGROUPS, than contains all the groups the user belongs to.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Yes Waz but as per my logic &FOCSECGROUP worked for me..

Webfocus 8.x
Windows
PDF,HTML,XLSX

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Waz,

I am trying to use same variables, but I did not see coming through? Do I need to setup anything in the environment to get those variables?

WebFocus 8202M
APP Studio
Info assist
Report caster
Portals
Maintain
EXcel,PDF,HTML,Active Reports

Posts: 82 | Location: MD | Registered: May 14, 2010Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Did you try -TYPEing the variables ?

May be related to your setup.

Does &IBIMR_memberof or &IBIMR_user work ?

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Gold member
posted Hide Post
RaviD no you dont need to setup anything on the environment variables.

Webfocus 8.x
Windows
PDF,HTML,XLSX