Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Is it possible to connect a master file directly to an XLSX flat file?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Is it possible to connect a master file directly to an XLSX flat file?
 Login/Join

posted
Having trouble finding information on this. I need to read a couple of XLSX files in webfocus that are just standard excel files, not CSV/TSV/etc. Is this possible? I searched through the forums here and the help documentation in Developer Studio and wasn't able to find anything.

Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
Yes, We Can Do that In WebFOCUS!... Easy Cool
Upload the flat file from the app folder to the synonym creator and follow the prompts.

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
OK so I am relatively new with webfocus...

When I am in developer studio, I go to a Master File folder and right click, it gives me options under "New" to choose from the following:
1) Synonym
2) Synonym via Synonym Editor
3) Upload Data File
4) Import from Sources (this is grayed out)

If I try 1 or 2, I don't have access.
4 is grayed out.

That leaves me with 3) Upload Data File. If I do that there are 2 things. First, it seems to have a problem with xlsX as the file extension (though it works with xls, my predicament involves an xlsx file). If I change the file to xls format (which I don't want to do normally) it will allow me to upload. The file ends up in the Maintain Files folder, and the master file ends up in the Master Files folder.

What I'm trying to do is create a master file that will read an xlsx file that is out on a network drive.

Can that be done or do I have to have access to this synonym deal? Any workarounds if I don't have access?

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Upload Data File
There's so much going on here. However, the first thing that many of us would suggest is: 1) Training, 2) Access rights to do what "They" need you to do, 3) If xls is OK, then save it as xls? Why not a CSV? Other then that, concider FILEDEFing the file and keep in mind that it's not on the network drive as YOU see it, it is on the network drive as WebFOCUS sees it (AKA: Needs to be mapped from the appropriate WebFOCUS servers ~ depending on YOUR configuration). If you need more then this then you'll need to speak with your people (WebFOCUS Admins, DBA's, etc.) unless someone else here wants to continue this...

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
quote:
Upload Data File
There's so much going on here. However, the first thing that many of us would suggest is: 1) Training, 2) Access rights to do what "They" need you to do, 3) If xls is OK, then save it as xls? Why not a CSV? Other then that, concider FILEDEFing the file and keep in mind that it's not on the network drive as YOU see it, it is on the network drive as WebFOCUS sees it (AKA: Needs to be mapped from the appropriate WebFOCUS servers ~ depending on YOUR configuration). If you need more then this then you'll need to speak with your people (WebFOCUS Admins, DBA's, etc.) unless someone else here wants to continue this...

I don't disagree that training would be ideal but for me it's been on-the-fly more so... so I've been utilizing help files, existing code samples, and this forum as resources. I've got the basics down but am far from an expert.

I have a file on a network drive that will be refreshed monthly. It's going to be an xlsx file that is placed there automatically. I do not want to have to manually upload it in to webfocus whenever it is updated. I simply would like to have webfocus point to that file. I've done this without issue in other instances by creating master files to read CSV, TSV, and text files before. All I'm trying to understand is if the same can be done to read an excel file (if so, what suffix is used?), or if I have to pursue another option (such as having the file type changed to CSV/TSV or filedef that you mentioned)?

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You can not change the file type to cvs or txt and hope it will work...forget it.
Even if you call an excel file different, internal it still is excel
You might need an adapter (odbc) for this type of files.
Or open the excel and save it as cvs
Somehow you need to tell webfocus something about that file.
What is the record layout, fieldnames, sizes etc
Is it always the same?

Training might be a good plan, in the end it is worth the time you will use for training.

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
You could probably have your admins set up an ODBC connection to the spreadsheet and define that as a connection. That would get you around the file upload.

Webfocus 8.0.7 on Windows

Posts: 176 | Location: Ohio | Registered: October 26, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Hi ok!

I have WF 7.7, so this might not apply to you, but I think it does.

Here is what you should be able to do:
Enter the WF console (you must have administrator privileges]: http://webfocusserver:8121/
[where webfocusserver is the address of your WF server]
Click on "Adapters"
R-Click on "Excel(via direct retrieval)
Choose your workbook
Click "Next"
Choose your Application directory
Choose the sheet of your workbook
Click "Create Synonym"

That's all folks...

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi,
I was also going to suggest looking at the new "Excel(via direct retrieval)" adapter.

However, if your signature is correct, then you would first need to upgrade to WF 7.7.03.

This adapter supports direct retrieval from Excel files(.xls and .xlsx files).

** NB: You will need to license this adapter! **

WebFOCUS 8.2.06 mostly Windows Server

Posts: 195 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: September 13, 2008Report This Post