Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Need to pass too many parameters to Focus procedure URL

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Need to pass too many parameters to Focus procedure URL
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,

I have the user requirement where the user is going to select a large # of policies as report criteria and I need to pass them to focus procedure. What is the best way to do it? I thought if the URL is too big (limit 2080 chars?) then call the URL more than once, write the parameters to a common focus file and then read them. I created a Focus master file able to read from it, but not able to write. Please help.

Thanks in advance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
What is the calling application that's constructing the URL written in?

Posts: 229 | Location: New York | Registered: July 27, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
METHOD=GET and POST have different limits. The limit that you are experiencing is using the GET method? (where all the parameters can be seen in the URL), if you use POST instead you should have greater flexibility.

However, do make sure you know the difference between the two methods and that you are happy with the one you opt for

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Or go back to your users to find out what it is they are *REALLY* trying to accomplish. I've seen this request come across the table many times, an in almost every case, there was a better way of doing things than trying to pass a boat load of characters into a parameter as part of a URL.

For example, say a policy # has 10 characters/digits. Is the user really going to multiselect (or type in) 200+ values? Hopefully they get it right the first time and don't have to go back and type it all in again because of a typo.

Maybe give them some sort of application or process to copy/ftp/move a file to a specified location accesible by the WF server to be used as a validation list.

All that said, back to your first problem. How ar you attempting to write to the focus file? Using Modify/Maintain? Have you enabled write access to the file? Does the user have write access to the server where you are trying to create the file? What happens when more than one user is trying to "input" parameters and run the report simultaneously? Are there separate locations for each user? How does the server know which file is to be used?

Lots of things to think about when you move in this direction--

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Darin Lee,

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes sounds wierd passing too many parameters. We are having meeting to discuss if it makes sense. About the common file, I thought I will include UserId and TS along with the parameters and once the report run can delete it. I created a master Focus data file, able to read but do not know how to write. Not sure about Modify, the examples I saw creates forms to modify, but I just need to write , no form needed. If the # parameters exceeds I thought I will call the procedure more than once and write the parameters passed to the focus file and access them all in the final call.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Modify is what you would have to use to write to a focus database. You can do it without forms. If you don't know anything about Modify, I would suggest you get more information before taking this route. You also need to consider having the focus database under the control of the FOCUS SU (or sync) machine to control writes to the table. That may make a difference if your are trying to control multiple files for multiple users. Again, I would get more information on using the FOCUS SU.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
You could also write the filter (with all the values) out to a file, with the file name based on the userid. Then -INCLUDE the file in your filter section.

WebFOCUS 8.1.0.5m