Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] How to not distribute Report Caster if report is empty?
Page 1 2 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] How to not distribute Report Caster if report is empty?
 Login/Join

Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seva:
I suspected that message "Unable to retrieve data for the distribution list" may be different from message "No Report to distribute". In my case it is not clear what is the difference between these messages because procedure open_enroll_address.fex runs every 1 minute and usually there is no report to distribute every 1 minute. Which is fine, but why do I get errors "Unable to retrieve data for the distribution list" in Log file and by email? However, if the records exist (when employee submits Open Enrollment info, record with time stamp is inserted into database) then reports are distributed fine.

Is open_enroll_address.fex scheduled to run every minute or is it being called as the dynamic distribution list procedure for another scheduled report? If it is being scheduled itself what is it's distribution list setting?

quote:
The interesting thing is that after I changed setting for "Default Processing for No Report to Distribute" from "Error" to "Warning", I did not see errors "Unable to retrieve data for the distribution list" in Log file and I did not receive emails with these errors for few days. After few days I'm getting the same errors in Log file and emails. I did not touch any WebFocus or ReportCaster settings during these few days.

If you haven't changed anything in RpeortCaster or webFOCUS then I would look at your data. Make sure that open_enroll_address.fex can run outside of reportcaster and it is returning the data you expect. If open_enroll_address.fex is the procedure that creates a dynamic distribution list and you are getting errors about retrieving distribution lists, then that is your most likely culprit.

Cheers

Stu

WebFOCUS 8.2.03 (8.2.06 in testing)

Posts: 253 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Procedure open_enroll_addresses.fex is being used to create the dynamic distribution list. It is scheduled to run every 1 minute. There is ReportCaster Schedule "Open Enrollment Confirmation Dynamic Addr" and on "Distribution" tab of this schedule under "Distribution Information" I have selected Type "Dynamic Address" and selected To "Run procedure open_enroll_crp/open_enroll_addresses on server EDASERVE".
I know that if there is data for distribution (whenever employee completes his/her Open Enrollment forms on company's portal, the record is inserted into database with date & time stamp) then email with report (there is different procedure for report) is correctly sent to this employee and HR department. If no employee completes report during the minute then error appears in Log file and I'm getting email with error.

WF 7.6.4, Win XP, SQL 2005

Posts: 42 | Location: California | Registered: August 17, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gerry,

(from Post on Mon Sep 22 2008 12:00)
I forgot all about this and plan on using it now...
quote:
In Release 7.6.4 a new setting was added to the ReportCaster Configuration Tool labeled "Default Processing for No Report to Distribute".

But, in which document would I find out how to change the "Default Processing for No Report to Distribute"? Or, would someone direct me to the "how do do this"? Is this available on a job-by-job basis, or profile / environment basis?

I do hope to get this resolved way before then. But, I'll see you at Summit!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug,

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Doug,

Here's how it is done in 7.7.03 release. Let me know if thats what you are looking for.

- Login to Reportcaster administration console
- Click on 'configuration' tab at the top
- On left hand pane, click on 'distribution servers' folder structure
-You will notice that 8th field from the top is 'Processing for No report to distribute
- You can set it to 'Error' or warning (default value is set as error)

Here's how RC interprets and actions these values in the background.

If you see it as Error - 'No Report to Distribute' message is categorized as an error and the message is written to the ReportCaster log report in red. When the schedule has the Notification option set to Error, the Notification is sent.

Warning. The No Report to Distribute message is categorized as a warning, and the message is written to the log report (in orange) as an informational message. When the schedule has the Notification option set to Warning, no error notification is sent.

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

posted Hide Post
I should have mentioned earlier, this setting applies to all the schedules/jobs in the environment. (does apply to burst reports as well when it is set for an individual burst value)

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs