Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [COMPLAINING] Dev Studio 7.6.5 - One Big Disappointment
Page 1 2 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[COMPLAINING] Dev Studio 7.6.5 - One Big Disappointment
 Login/Join

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
With regards to editing FTM files, we have an active project to preserve files and not cut records after the 80th col and we plan on having this available in the next SP (7610).

One wonders why this problem exists in the first place. FTM files have been around a very long time and most of the ones I know are wider than 80 characters...

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
I don't know the technical reason for this limitation and I agree, when HOLD files are created using FORMAT ALPHA we should be allowed to edit files w/out loosing content after the 80th position.

Regards,
Dimitri

Posts: 66 | Location: New York | Registered: August 18, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Dev Studio 7.6.8 crashes when attempting to create a new synonym.

Developer Studio > WebFOCUS Environments > Environment > Data Servers > EDASERVE > Applications > Application > Master Files > New > Synonym

Anyone else with this problem?

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Are you a 'basic user' or and 'admin'? The former cannot use the synonym tool. There are other reporting server roles which I think can do this beyond admin. Check out the reporting server console options in the server administration manual.

BTW, I have a case open on this because I want to allow our users to be able to create masters for FOCUS files but not relational tables.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I am an Admin user. I tried creating a new synonym by selecting the "Synonym" option, not the "Synonym via Synonym Editor" option - I don't even know what that option does since it crashes Dev Studio. If I select the "Synonym Editor" option, Dev Studio does not crash until I select "Synonym Editor" in the New Master File dialog box, then it crashes. It does not crash if I select Text Editor.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
i've never been able to use SynEd in devstu
it gives me an error saying i'm not connected to the server.
What server i yell at it.
i'm on my bloody laptop.
Not surprisingly, it does not respond.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Try something more gentle than yelling, pampering perhaps.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I've just tried as per your post Francis and the good news(?) is that I get no crashes in 7.6.9 standalone DS on Windows XP SP2 with Tomcat. The synonym editor looks pretty good as well.

I do remember trying this a while back on 5.2.3, 7.1.3, 7.1.6 etc. and decided that the only editor I would use to create synonyms was Notepad++ or something similar. Usually I would create synonyms from any RDBMS via the Reporting Server Console or hand code a "CREATE SYNONYM ....."

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Francis, What edition of Dev Studio are you using? and do you have any special security setup e.g. RServer configured w/ SSL.
Also is the version of your Dev Studio the same as the WebFOCUS Reporting Server you are developing against - this is important as the Syn Editor tool is loaded from the RServer that is installed w/ Dev Studio. During this process we check the version of the server you are developing against, platform and your user credentials.
As Ginny mentioned, to use the metadata tools (Syn Editor, Create Synonym) you need to be a Reporting Server user that belongs to the Server Administrator group or Application Administrator group and have the option to create metadata.
FYI - the option to create a "Synonym" opens the tool to create a synonym from a configured adapter. "Synonym via Synonym Editor" opens the Synonym Editor tool that allows you to manually create a master file.
In 76x, we have replaced the original File Tool w/ the Synonym Editor tool which is also used in DMC.

Regards,
Dimitri

Expert
posted Hide Post
whats DMC?

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
DMC, its either a hip hop group or the Data Management Console.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
i thought it was a band!

Expert
posted Hide Post
Walk this way.....
Smiler

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
yes, it's the Data Management Console Smiler

Regards,
Dimitri

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Project development is designed to only work where the app server and the project reporting server share the same approot. Deploying from a project server to production servers will move files accordingly. Project development has always worked that way (52,53,71,...).

Brian Suter
VP WebFOCUS Product Development

Posts: 200 | Location: NYC | Registered: January 02, 2007Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi everyone, The issue editing .FTM files that were created as text through Dev Studio is addressed in 7610 which is planned to go production beginning of next month.

Regards,
Dimitri

Expert
posted Hide Post
Someone at Tech Support suggested to me that the version of Dev Studio should match the version of the WebFOCUS server.

In any large organization, it is very difficult to get the tech support team to update software like WebFOCUS every few months, so we will be stuck with server v7.6.5. Can I safely use DevStudio v7.6.10 with server v7.6.5?

Francis

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi Francis,
Yes it is recommended that client and server components are at the same level and this is how certification is done.
You can have Dev Studio 7610 and Reporting Server of the same release or earlier SP level and it should work fine. For the WebFOCUS client component this should be at the same level as Dev Studio as there are client changes to fix issues or make enhancements that are applied to the client and called by the Dev Studio tools.

Regards,
Dimitri

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Francis,

At our shop we were experimenting with 769 client/server a little bit to see if we wanted to update or not. We ultimately chose not to, but we did discover that there was a major change in the way that the html files are created. in 769+ there is a much heavier reliance on XML. Things like drop down boxes and other things will code in such a way that 767 will not understand how to interpret them. What we ended up doing here was updating to 768 dev studio and are currently running still running 767 client/server. We have found it to work successfully so far.

Eric

Eric Woerle
WF 7.6.7 Reportting Server
ETL 7.6.10
Dev Studio 7.6.7

Expert
posted Hide Post
"The issue editing .FTM files" and other recently discovered problems should be supplied as hot-fixes to the currently installed versions of Dev Studio, not only as bug fixes included in newer releases.

Francis