Focal Point
[SOLVED] Compound Report in Developer Studio not working

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/1297033786

July 25, 2017, 07:51 PM
Max Nevill
[SOLVED] Compound Report in Developer Studio not working
Hi all. I'm running Dev Studio 8104 and I'm running a large compound report created in the report composer, and getting the following error (shown below). All of the sub-reports in the composite report work. I'm not sure what this "rltemp.fex" is.

Many thanks.

?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?>
- ibfsrpc _jt="IBFSResponseObject" language="EN" localizeddesc="Abnormal termination of reporting server agent [Crashed or extreme operator kill)" name="runItem" returncode="32027" returndesc="IBFSException 32027: local error" subreturncode="0" subsystem="" type="simple">
- ibfsparams size="4">
entry key="comp_pass" value="****" />
entry key="args" value="__null" />
entry key="path" value="IBFS:/WFC/Repository/factbook/std_reports/factbooktdrz/rltemp.fex" />
entry key="comp_user" value="__null" />
/ibfsparams>
- ibfserrorvalues size="3">
entry key="edaNode" value="EDASERVE" />
entry key="MSG" value="local error" />
entry key="itemName" value="IBFS:/WFC/Repository/factbook/std_reports/factbooktdrz/rltemp.fex" />
/ibfserrorvalues>
/ibfsrpc>

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Max Nevill,

WebFocus 8.104
Windows 7 Entreprise, SP1
July 25, 2017, 08:53 PM
BabakNYC
Dev Studio or App Studio?

Does the document open in Composer?

Is the HTML on the reporting server app directory or in a Domain?

Do the individual pieces referenced in Composer run on their own?

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows
July 26, 2017, 06:49 AM
Thomas Raspberry
That rltemp.fex is some report/chart saved by default during report or chart crash. WebFocus many times will save that report/chart even though it crashed. Try to access it and see which report/chart is it.

Best approach for compound report, it is to create subreports separately and THEN reference it to the compound report.

Regarding the compound, on 8.105 compound report will crash like this if reports/charts included in the compound are NOT published.

Try to publish reports/charts of compounds and see if the problem has been solved.

WebFOCUS 8.201
July 26, 2017, 01:06 PM
Max Nevill
quote:
Originally posted by BabakNYC:
Dev Studio or App Studio?

Does the document open in Composer?

Is the HTML on the reporting server app directory or in a Domain?

Do the individual pieces referenced in Composer run on their own?

I answered 1 & 4 in my original post. The document *does* open in composer. The reports all live in the Repository, I'm not technically knowledgeable enough to answer that question.

quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Raspberry:
That rltemp.fex is some report/chart saved by default during report or chart crash. WebFocus many times will save that report/chart even though it crashed. Try to access it and see which report/chart is it.

Best approach for compound report, it is to create subreports separately and THEN reference it to the compound report.

Regarding the compound, on 8.105 compound report will crash like this if reports/charts included in the compound are NOT published.

Try to publish reports/charts of compounds and see if the problem has been solved.

All of the reports are already created separately and linked to in the report composer. I had noticed that not all of them were published, so I did that, but it didn't make any difference.

WebFocus 8.104
July 28, 2017, 12:37 PM
Doug
So, based on the fact that all the underlying fexes are being referenced in the GUI/Composer, run fine (no auto-prompting) and published, please check to ensure that none of the report components are overlapping (I normally ensure that there's at least ".01" inches or 1 pixel, between components).

Also, has this compound report been edited in the (beloved) Text Editor?

Please verify that and the other items and let us know the results.

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206
July 28, 2017, 12:50 PM
Max Nevill
Hi Doug, good questions.

While I have *viewed* the report in Text Editor, my mentor Peter Webb told me to never ever edit in Text Editor so I haven't.

No reports were overlapping, but some touching. I did my best to separate them a little further if possible.

And.... It still crashes. Frowner

Another tidbit: This report was original created in 7706. It has run for about 5 years with very little modification, so it's a rude surprise that when I went to run it this year it wasn't cooperative.

WebFocus 8.104
July 28, 2017, 01:02 PM
Doug
quote:
"This report was original created in 7706. It has run for about 5 years with very little modification, so it's a rude surprise that when I went to run it this year it wasn't cooperative.

1) It did open with no issue in the 8.104 Dev/App Studio Composer with no issues, messages, etc.

2) All reports ran with no issues, auto-prompting, messages.

I do know that the code has been "tightened" in WF8. So, I'd do a view source on each fex to ensure that there are no underlying issues. I'm suspecting that you'll see a culprit, or two Frowner.
August 03, 2017, 04:04 PM
Max Nevill
Ok, so I got it to work. Here's what I did

(1) Copy over all of the code from my reports to a new fex file

(2) Re-referenced from the composer to all 40 new sub reports

(3) Fixed a text box that had some borders going underneath a report.

I don't know *why* that fixed my problem, other than it actually *did* fix it. Smiler

WebFocus 8.104