Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Dashboard difference between 713 and 764

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Dashboard difference between 713 and 764
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Has anyone else observed this difference or have a 'fix' for it?

We've discovered that reports executed within a dashboard do not output in 7.6.4 as they did in 7.1.3.

In 7.6.1 the dashboard did not need a specific place to receive the output of a report initiated by double clicking on it's name showing in a Folder or List 'block'.
Every report launched in this way simply appeared in its own pop-up browser window.

In 7.6.4 the output of such reports (with an all-defaults configuration) now requires an "Output" block to act as a reporting output container. All reports launched from the Folder/List block appear in the Output block, each displacing the output of the previous report.
- Absent an Output Block, double clicking on the name of a report produces nothing.
- Even with an Output Block all is still not well. If the report is too wide or too tall for the Output block, one must click on the block's expansion icon (upper right corner) which opens a pop-up browser window containing the report. This replicates the behavior of 7.1.3.

While the foregoing is an undesirable step backward in the utility of the dashboard interface and another example of IBI's product inconsistency between releases, a more severe malfunction has been observed:

If the dashboard includes both a list of reports (in a Folder or List block) AND an a report run automatically in a Launch block, then the following behavior is observed:
1) The dashboard opens showing the list of report names (Folder/List block) and a report in the Launch block (1st content).
2) Double click on a report name in the list of reports and that report's output replaces initial report's output in the Launch block (2nd content).
3) Expand the 2nd report's output by clicking on the 'expand' icon in the upper right corner of the Launch block and a browser window pops up containing the FIRST report, the one run automatically when the dashboard initially appeared!
4) The dashboard's Launch block continues to display the second report (in the "background", as it were). [The expand icon appears confused as to what it is to expand!]

Questions:
1 - Is there a configuration value somewhere that will restore the automatic pop-up browser window behavior of 7.1.3?
2 - How do I fix the issue of the wrong report expanding?

WIN/2K running WF 7.6.4
Development via DevStudio 7.6.4, MRE, TextEditor.
Data is Oracle, MS-SQL.

Posts: 154 | Location: NY | Registered: October 27, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
cburtt,

I'm not seeing this behavior in 7.6.4 Dashboard. I have created a page with a List block and Folder block on it. And double clicking the reports in the list just opens them in a new window.

I'm also not seeing the problem with a Launch block and a List block on the same page, but that is probably because when I double lcick on the report in the list block it opens in it's own window.

This may have something to do with the migration from 7.1.3 - I don't have access to version of 7.1.3 to test.

Can you try creating a new dashboard and see if the prolem still exist. I'll try importing a dashboard from a 7.1.x version and see if I can replicate your problem.

Cheers

Stu

WF764 on Windows 2003 EE, with IIS and Tomcat

This message has been edited. Last edited by: StuBouyer,

WebFOCUS 8.2.03 (8.2.06 in testing)

Posts: 253 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
cburtt,

how did you migrate the dashboard from 7.1.3 to 7.6.4? I ran the mrmigrate tools from the 7.6.4 release to migrate a dashboard from 7.1.7 to 7.6.4 and it still allows double click of reports in list or folder blocks to open in a new page.

Possibly I'm doing something wrong, but I can't replicate your error in 7.6.4 on windows.

Cheers

Stu

Posts: 253 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Stu,

You may be absolutely correct in suggesting that the cause lies in the conversion.

The fact that NEW dashboards created under a 'new' version of WF test correctly is meaningless when a WF installation has dozens of existing dashboards created under an 'old' version of WF and needs them to run under the 'new'.

The conversion was done by me with an IBI installation/conversion expert from the Philadelphia office sitting beside me directing me what to do. So, I presume I did the correct thing.

IBI Case #33402535 applies.

Chris.

WIN/2K running WF 7.6.4
Development via DevStudio 7.6.4, MRE, TextEditor.
Data is Oracle, MS-SQL.

Posts: 154 | Location: NY | Registered: October 27, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Chris,

I see from the case that you are using OLAP reports. My testing was done with non-OLAP Reports. It appears that the OLAP code is causing the issue you are seeing and that it is not a conversion issue. When I create a new dashboard and have the launch page open an OLAP enabled report, I see the exact same issues as you. If I use regular reports the issue doesn't appear.

The fact that NEW dashboards created under the 'new' version tests okay, is not meaningless. It tells us that the problem is not inherent in the new version, but most probably an artifact of the conversion process. It might not help immediately, but it does help cut down the problem space. In this case the fact that a NEW dashboard with a OLAP report does cause the issues you are seeing reduces the problem space even more.

I didn't intend to imply that you should recreate all of your dashboards or that you had done something incorrect in the migration process - and I apologise if you felt that I was. I was just trying to gather data to help with your issue.

Regards,

Stu

This message has been edited. Last edited by: StuBouyer,