Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     766 devstu has a cool thing...

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
766 devstu has a cool thing...
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
whether this is a 'feature' or a 'surprise', i don't know...but i'll take it.
When editing an HTML page, i have the option to edit in " Microsoft Office 2003 component ", in addition to the usual offerings.
For me, that's MS Front Page 2k3...
i have Expressions as well, but i'll so happily take this MSFP offering.
Wow. this is huge. HUGE.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
That is good. You used to be able to do that...didnt you...and then it went away? or am I dreaming?

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Do you think they would ever build it to work in Dreamweaver? I never much cared for MSFP. Not enough power in it.

Eric Woerle
WF 7.6.7 Reportting Server
ETL 7.6.10
Dev Studio 7.6.7

Expert
posted Hide Post
yes Prarie, it used to reference Front Page by name, back in 4.? , but now it seems to be more general.
I think its just invoking whatever it may find on your desktop.
So, if you have Dreamweaver, it might find it.
If you just have Expressions, it might find that.
Its not an explicit link to a single tool...EWoerle, it just seems to be a general link to whatever you have.
At least that's my take on it , initially.
Way cool.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
i just loaded 766 on my laptop and i got 'edit with Microsoft Office 2003 tool' again..so its not a fluke...its truly a cool new thing.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hmmm............

Give me notepad ++ over MS Front Rage anytime.

Just open some of your carefully coded html pages in MSFR and see it trashed before your eyes!!!

JMTC

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
R

i think its a case of stick to one or the other- code or GUI, like other Dev elements it doesn't support going between them like you can with MS VB form design.

On another note, is there a list of fixed bugs in the 766 release? so far i have found it just as slow as normal when navigating, copying, creating new fexes etc. Also it completely crashed when i asked it to make a string uppercase - just completely dissapeared!

it may be the speed and stability issues weren't addressed in this build so was wondering if there is a list anywhere. Confused

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP
Output: mostly HTML, also Excel and PDF

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Heinlein's Razor

Posts: 285 | Location: UK | Registered: October 26, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I agree with Tony - I used MSFP for one of my old band sites and it's one the worst pieces of software - or POS if you prefer Wink. For simple stuff it might be OK but hugely frustating when moving things around.

Nubi, we run 765 (through Citrix even) and we're not finding it that slow at all. Not to sound like Captain Obvious...but...perhaps you just need a hardware/RAM upgrade, maybe you have a virus/spyware, etc.? Keep in mind that AntiVirus software can totally hose your performance. I've had a couple of crashes and traced it back to the antivirus software kicking in for no good reason.

WebFOCUS 7.6.6/TomCat/Win2003,SQL Server 2005,Oracle

Posts: 125 | Location: New England | Registered: February 20, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
fp 2k3 doesn't do that anymore. they listened. i went to the MS presentation in NY where they even SAID they had listened and had changed the product, for the 2k3 release, even tho it has been replaced by expressions

Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RickW:
Nubi, we run 765 (through Citrix even) and we're not finding it that slow at all. Not to sound like Captain Obvious...but...perhaps you just need a hardware/RAM upgrade, maybe you have a virus/spyware, etc.? Keep in mind that AntiVirus software can totally hose your performance. I've had a couple of crashes and traced it back to the antivirus software kicking in for no good reason.

Hi Rick,

alas its not clear if it is DS or not but doing the same things in other applications (for example explorer or notepad++) takes no time at all...

there has been debate here as to whether it's my machine, the network config or dev studio...

i hope it isn't DS but no other applications i use suffer from teh same problems and im running XP SP2 on a 2.6Ghz processor with 2GB of RAM....

but none of my colleagues experience the same problems so its a bit of a conundrum...

and i hear you about the AV...unfortunatley our virus checking is done at the machine end using MacAffee (or McCrappy as its affectionatly known) rather than at the webserver/firewall end so it could be that but then that would effect everyone

sorry to Hijack this thread Susannah, to get back to the OT i'd say packages like that agood if you start with them at the beginning or are used just for layout purposes- ie do that stuff before you go into the coding side and you should be ok...

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Heinlein's Razor

Guru
posted Hide Post
Susannah,

when i clicked the link it took me into word (and jumbled all my code up!)- therefore you are right it must look for whatever MS app you have installed that will support HTML editing and use that...

if it don't open FP then you don't have FP installed, if i could i'd uninstall Word temporarily to see what it opened then but i can't

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP

Expert
posted Hide Post
umm..uninstalling Word might be a bit excessive....you can still buy FP2k3 on ebay or on amazon. you might try expressions, the new product. You might have to force it to install in the ms office dir tho.

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
On another note, is there a list of fixed bugs in the 766 release?

nubi,

If you go to the techsupport.ibi.com page and click on the 7.6.6 link, you will come to a page that has links on it for the fixes included in the release.

Slowness of Dev Studio often is related to your backend, not to products running on your personal machine. We have a Unix backend with almost 500 directories, over 17,000 focexecs, not to mention hundreds of masters and other files. It is no wonder that the applications list takes a long time to open. My dev system is much smaller and performs much more quickly.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by susannah:
umm..uninstalling Word might be a bit excessive....you can still buy FP2k3 on ebay or on amazon. you might try expressions, the new product. You might have to force it to install in the ms office dir tho.

it would only be temporalily to see where the link defaulted to next, I probably will never use it but it would be cool if we could edit what programs the fexes opened with...

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP

Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GinnyJakes:
[QUOTE]On another note, is there a list of fixed bugs in the 766 release?

Thanks Ginny, kind of obvious i guess Big Grin

the slowness is apparant regardless of the size of the directory im looking at and as i say looking at those dirs in explorer or another application is absolutely fine...

but im not convinced its DS on its own- must be my config - would know hwre eto start to fix it and I will not rebuild machine so will have to put up with it...

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP

Guru
posted Hide Post
another annoyance with 766 html is that if you write html in another text editor and then paste it into to a dev html page so you can move things around in the painter the items you've pasted in are unselectable in the painter...

therefore you can't write the raw code out in another editor and then use the painter to get your positioning and alignment done- bah!!

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP

Expert
posted Hide Post
well, duh!

Guru
posted Hide Post
other html editors can handle things like this with no problem, im obviously expecting too much

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP