Focal Point
[CLOSED] How to do Predictive search in reports like google

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/131109355

October 18, 2010, 06:06 AM
MH
[CLOSED] How to do Predictive search in reports like google
Hi,

I am new on webfocus. I have to provide a filter on one column. It has filed called supplier name. It has more then 14000 reocrds. It is very difficult to load 14000 in a drop down list. It hangs when you run the report. Is it there any method to acheive this in webfocus or can we provide a predictive search like google as we type in. please let me know what is the best way to do this.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs
October 19, 2010, 01:24 PM
ABT
I'd search google for 'type ahead suggest ajax' r 'ajax type ahead example'. The key technology is executing a query using the onkeyup event and using Ajax/DHTML to populate the text box (or the canvas that looks like a drop-down box).

I'm guessing that you'll need a fex that queries a table based on user input and passes those results back to the HTML front end (using the onkeyup event). The HTML will use these returns to build a list of selectable output or take the first entry and populate it as is to the text box.

The technology seems to have progressed a long way since I last looked at how to do it, your best bet may be to use jQuery or one of the other javascript frameworks that seem to have a lot of the functionality already prebuilt. You should also be able to use one of the other examples around (ASP.NET, JSP, etc) to get a feel for how to implement in WF.

- ABT

------------------------------------
WF Environment:
Server/Client, ReportCaster, Dev Studio: 7.6.11
Resource Analyzer, Resource Governor, Library, Maintain, InfoAssist
Application/Web Server: Tomcat 5.5.25
Java: JDK 1.6.0_03
Authentication: LDAP, MRREALM Driver
Output: PDF, EXL2K, HTM

Databases:
Oracle 10g
DB2 (AS/400)
MSSQL Server 2005
Access/FoxPro
October 26, 2010, 04:17 AM
MH
Hi,
I did not get a chance to try this. Will updates status later.

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs