Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Development in MRE
 Login/Join

posted
Any suggestions for best practices for developing in MRE (e.g. promoting from development to production). We are on a single server (no posssibility of a development server license).

Current plans are for procedures to be developed in a user domain and promoted to a production domain (e.g. manufacturing). Due procedure naming changes within the virtual folders this can lead to problems with launch pages, etc.)

Any suggestions would be appreciated (management has dictated that "self service" apps are not an option) and development must be done in the GUI.

Production Windows2000
WF 6.0
No development server

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
if you develop within MRE in a domain named "Development" and later copy the fex to a domain named "Production" the internal name of the FEX is the same.

What we do is a naming convention build on the date and user namecode something like 070822FA_description.
The first 6 numbers are in this case 22-aug-2007 and the first character is my code. the second character is in this case "A" so my first fex of this day.....
When I would reach the "Z" on one day I have to buy a bear for all the people on my desk...

The code is easy to remember and at the same time informative.

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Frank - When you make a change to a FEX in the development domain how do you make a back up copy of the original before any changes?

Production Windows2000
WF 6.0
No development server

posted Hide Post
Frank - also launch pages generate references including the domain when built with Resource Layout Painter (HTML Painter). These references are not changed when the FEX is moved. How do you handle this?

Production Windows2000
WF 6.0
No development server

Guru
posted Hide Post
I'm running in to the same situation. We have a single server where we do our development in a 'Development' domain. Now that I'm ready to copy an application (collection of fex files and launch pages) from the development domain to a user domain I'm struggling to figure out all the places I need to make changes. Like PaulC mentioned, all the launch pages have references to the domain of origin which need to be changed to the new domain name.

With regard to naming files It now appears that I should have used some sort of naming convention that would force the system to create the file name I specify. Then go back and change the description.

Anyway, has anybody come up with a 'process' for doing this type of development and promotion between domains?

Thanks,

Dan

7.7.05M/7.7.03 HF6 on Windows Server 2003 SP2 output to whatever is required.

Posts: 393 | Location: St. Paul, MN | Registered: November 06, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I thought WebFOCUS had the capability to 'package' MRE content for promotion to a production environment. I remember seeing this at Summit a couple of years back. I do not use MRE (yet) but i'm positive there are procedures that are in the product for doing this.

Thanks!

Mickey

FOCUS/WebFOCUS 1990 - 2011

Posts: 995 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
In regards to my previous post, this assumes a separate install for the production environment. If you have a single installation supporting DEV/TST/PRD then as far as I know there are no built in features for promoting code to PRD.

Thanks!

Mickey

FOCUS/WebFOCUS 1990 - 2011

Posts: 995 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I thought that even in a single environment, you could have multiple 'basedir' directory structures and you could pick the one you wanted at logon time.

Maybe you could check into that.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
In different domains on the same environment you can have the same file names.
We have a file naming convention based on the creation date and the developer and an intra day sequence. We wanted the names to be 8 characters.
So when I create my first today fex it will be:
080411FA : ymd F(rank) A as the first of this day.
Within the fex I can create holdfiles and we do more or less the same: AG0411FA , BG0411FA etc
now the first character is the sequence, the next (G) stands for the 8 year of this centennial. Within one fex I can create 36 hold files.

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Dan,

Here's a way to 'force' MRE to name the Windows Files with a name you choose:

1) When you first create a FocExec (or recreate one for purposes of controlling the name) choose an 8-character name. If the name is not already used in that domain (Windows folder) MRE will use it. [Of course, if you want to control the names yourself, you should be following some naming convention and will already know that the name is not in use.]

2) Fill the file with FOCUS code by any available means: ReportPainter, TextEdit, Copy-n-paste.

3) Rename the file to the long name you desire that's more descriptive of its content. You may want to prefix it with a repetition of the 8-character name.

It's also helpful to include the 8-character name in the procedure's prolog (if you use descriptive commentary prologs).

Chris

WIN/2K running WF 7.6.4
Development via DevStudio 7.6.4, MRE, TextEditor.
Data is Oracle, MS-SQL.

Posts: 154 | Location: NY | Registered: October 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Paud, Dan,

We use a simple way to preserve the content of a procedure before we change it. (In this case we're not concerned with the underlying 'real' 8-character name).

We copy the procedure and name the copy with the prefix "zret " or "zret_" [the "_" form for DevStudio-MRE where spaces are sometimes disallowed, the " " form in the AppsDir].

"ret" stands for 'retired' and the "z" puts it at the bottom of an alphabetic listing, separated from the current active items.

If the *.fex is referenced by an RCaster job, DON'T do anything that will change the 8-character name. RCaster uses the 8-character name to execute the procedure. It displays the long name in it's dialogue windows for user convenience. If the procedure is used by RCaster, change it's content, then revise it's long name if you reference version therein.

Chris

WIN/2K running WF 7.6.4
Development via DevStudio 7.6.4, MRE, TextEditor.
Data is Oracle, MS-SQL.

Posts: 154 | Location: NY | Registered: October 27, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Chris,

Thanks for the tips on file naming in the MRE!

Now that I have my physical vs. logical file naming set up properly, it's a simple matter of copying from the domain of origin to the domain of destination. Then all I need to do is edit the HTML Launch Pages and replace the IBIMR_domain and IBIMR_folder values with those from the new domain.

It's not too painful from a deployment perspective. The trick will be when we make changes to one of the original procedures.

Thanks,

Dan

7.7.05M/7.7.03 HF6 on Windows Server 2003 SP2 output to whatever is required.

Posts: 393 | Location: St. Paul, MN | Registered: November 06, 2007Report This Post