Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Columns on report like newspaper

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Columns on report like newspaper
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
Does anyone know how to make a report appear like a newspaper? I'd like to have it in two columns on the page but I'm not sure how to do it. Any ideas?

Posts: 46 | Location: Taylor University in Upland Indiana | Registered: May 20, 2003Report This Post
<Richard Kwiatkowski>
posted
The following is sample code that will define columns on a report page:

PAGEMATRIX=(c r),
ELEMENT=(w h),
GUTTER=(x y),
MATRIXORDER=HORIZONTAL|HORIZONTAL,

Pagematrix: 'c' is the number of columns and 'r' is the number of rows per page.

Element defines the width and height of a column.

Gutter defines the horizontal and vertical distance between columns

Here is sample code:
SET ONLINE-FMT = PDF
TABLE FILE EMPLOYEE
PRINT LAST_NAME AND CURR_SAL BY
DEPARTMENT
ON DEPARTMENT PAGE-BREAK
HEADING
"PAGE ON TABLE SET STYLE *
UNITS=IN, PAGESIZE=LETTER, PAGEMATRIX=2 1, ELEMENT=3.5 8.0,
MATRIXORDER=VERTICAL, $
TYPE=REPORT, SIZE=8, $
END

You may need to experiment with the number of columns and the width and height of each column.

Report This Post
<monte2000>
posted
Hi FocusQueen.

Maybe this could help if you want a single output to be two columns (like a page of labels):

Printing N-Up Mailing Labels
Mailing labels can be created easily with FOCUS, and may be 1-up, 2-up, or any practical number across.

Example: The following FOCEXEC and Master File Description illustrate this technique.
LABEL FOCEXEC
-PROMPT &MAXCOL.ENTER NUMBER OF COLUMNS =>.
SET LINES=999999,PAGE=OFF,MSG=OFF,PAUSE=ON
DEFINE FILE LABEL
XCOLUMN/I4 WITH NAME=IF LAST XCOLUMN EQ &MAXCOL THEN 1
ELSE LAST XCOLUMN + l;
XROW/I4 WITH NAME=IF XCOLUMN EQ 1 THEN LAST XROW + 1 ELSE LAST XROW,
END
TABLE FILE LABEL
SUM Ll AS '' OVER L2 AS '' OVER L3 AS '' OVER L4 AS '' OVER L5 AS ''
ACROSS XCOLUMN NOPRINT
BY XROW SKIP-LINE NOPRINT
END

Notes:

To be sure that labels are formatted properly, set LINES very high and PAGE and MSG off.
XROW and XCOLUMN must be defined using WITH so that they have a reference for evaluation. Note that these two defined variables are used to control a matrix across the page for the N columns and M rows.
The verb SUM must be used to allow multiple records to appear on one line.
All verb objects must be suppressed in printing (use AS ") to eliminate headings.
The SKIPLINE on XROW is for spacing between labels (SUBFOOT could be used to skip multiple lines).
To print labels with embedded blank lines, see the FOCUS Technique "Suppressing Blank Lines in Mailing Labels".

LABEL MASTER
FILENAME=LABEL,SUFFIX=FOC,
SEGNAME=LABEL,SEGTYPE=Sl,
FIELD=NAME,Ll,A34,$
FIELD=TITLE,L2,A34,$
FIELD=COMPANY,L3,A34,$
FIELD=CO_ADDRESS,L4,A34,$
FIELD=CITY_ST_ZIP,L5,A34,$

When the FOCEXEC is run, the user is prompted for the number of columns (rows of paper labels) desired. PAUSE=ON is used to give the user time to adjust the paper.

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
gee i would take the simpler way
and setup my fex to make 2 html tables, then dump them out next to each other at the end.
TABLE FILE STUFF
ON TABLE HOLD AS MYTAB1 FORMAT HTMTABLE
ON TABLE HOLD AS MYTAB2 FORMAT HTMTABLE
END
-HTMLFORM BEGIN
then in here set up a table with 1 row
and 2 cells, and put MYTAB1 in the left cell and MYTAB2 in the right cell.

[TABLE][TR][TD]
<!-- WEBFOCUS TABLE MYTAB1 -->
[TD]
<!-- WEBFOCUS TABLE MYTAB2 -->
[/TABLE]
-HTMLFORM END

really simple ; you can slap some width settings, etc inside your [TD] tags or whatever cool configs you like. you know the [] are <>,right? we just can't enter some <> tags in this board.

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
i reread your question and i think i misread it.
you want WRAP, yes? my answer is for something TOTALLY different...ignore!

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post