Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] WF8 landing page?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] WF8 landing page?
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
Hi Team,

How are you handling presenting different portals to your users, especially in cases where security rules will prevent some users from seeing some portals?

-Do you send out discrete URLs for each portal?

Pros: Tight control of user experience. 
Cons: Maintenance / Sustainability headache.

-Do you allow the users to see the ibi_apps landing page, and rely on them to pick the right portal?

Pros: Security handles showing who sees what. 
Cons: Welcome to WebFOCUS 8 image takes up 2/3 of the screen and I can't figure out how to change it. 

-Do you send them all to a general portal and get them to use the utilities link for Portals to change to a different portal?

Pros: Tight control of user experience 
Cons: I've always found the utilities links to be easy to miss / hard to see

-Do you have a portal with a resource tree or a portal tree?

Pros: This allows you to create an analogue of the ibi_apps page where it's possible to replace the Welcome to Webfocus 8 image with something else (two column panel with a resource tree and another object). 
Cons: The portal that you create shows on the portal tree, which is circular and useless.  I've been unable to find a 'Run but Don't List' permission setting to solve this

I'm about to migrate my users from a single WF7 BID, to WF8 with several portals. I'm not quite sure how to present the content for the best user experience, and would appreciate your ideas.

Cheers,

Joey

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

-WebFOCUS 8.2.01 on Windows

Posts: 318 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: November 15, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi Joey,

We've been in production with WF8 for a while now and are using this approach:
- Tomcat configured to forward root to ibi_apps
- WF8 configured to show default portal when logging in
- Default portal configured with 3 sections:
+ resource & portal tree
+ report output
+ general information (help, examples, planned outages...)

This way users have an easy URL to remember (http://myWFServer) with a default view giving them access to their content and my information.

It's worked out so far...

Regards,
Peter

Prod: WebFOCUS 8.0.06 on Win2008/Tomcat7/LDAP Mode
Test: WebFOCUS 8.0.06 on Win2008/Tomcat7/LDAP Mode

posted Hide Post
Hi Peter,

Could you elaborate a bit more on how you configured WF8 to go directly to your custom default portal, instead of the generic "Welcome Page"? I've been unable to find any documentation on how to do just that.

Thanks,
Leo

Prod and Dev:WebFOCUS 7.6.11, Win2003
Sandbox: WF8.0.0.2, Win2008

Guru
posted Hide Post
You can change it in the admin console

WebFOCUS 8.1.05

Expert
posted Hide Post
As far as I can tell, this will redirect all users to the default welcome page. Is there a way to allow administrators access to /ibi_apps/ and everyone else gets redirected?

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
As far as I can tell answer to Francis question is no. For example we added additional Page to landing page what only Dev/Administrators see where you see whole content tree. Other users see list of portals ( Custom portal selecting HTML )

Release: WebFOCUS 8104, AppStudio: 8105
Output: HTML,Excel,Active Reports

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Custom portal selecting HTML

I am quite interested in this. Did you use a web service or did you write a report to read the Content metadata? Care to share?

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Currently we have it as a static list of portals. I will check tomorrow, I might have some script how to get portal list from Content metadata. ( Tried to solve the problem how to get pages/panel/report name(id) or what ever information Smiler )

Easier would be get it through Rest call, then it will most probably get same list, when you add the Portals panel.

Master
posted Hide Post
Just a thought, but I've never done it. Have one portal, that everyone can log into, page 1 is a custom fex, that takes what ever user they logged in as and redirect them to the portal they have access to. As long as all portals they don't have access to are hidden, this should work. This also allows you to build other portals/updates without affecting the existing user/portal. Then when it's time, change your data to point at the new portal. As people log on the next time, they are redirected to the new portal.

EDIT: By the way, doing this by groups instead of users is the best way.

- FOCUS Man, just FOCUS!
-----------------------------
Product: WebFOCUS
Version: 8.1.04
Server: Windows 2008 Server

Gold member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GavinL:
Just a thought, but I've never done it. Have one portal, that everyone can log into, page 1 is a custom fex, that takes what ever user they logged in as and redirect them to the portal they have access to. As long as all portals they don't have access to are hidden, this should work.

Your idea sounds good as long as all users have access only to 1 portal. In our case some Managers have access to multiple portals and we cannot make decision where to redirect them. What we could do is build list of portals where he can access. In Portal designer there is one "Panel" portallist, what we would like to present nicer way.

Master
posted Hide Post
You could just have a default portal per group.

- FOCUS Man, just FOCUS!
-----------------------------
Product: WebFOCUS
Version: 8.1.04
Server: Windows 2008 Server

posted Hide Post
quote:
You could just have a default portal per group.

How do you do this?

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs