Focal Point
[SOLVED by IB] help with maintain JS Grid dropdown- character limit?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/1337015806

August 17, 2011, 10:07 PM
jjoyce
[SOLVED by IB] help with maintain JS Grid dropdown- character limit?
I'm building a JS Grid and I'd like to use a dropdown list in one of the columns.

I created a computed field and tried filling it with the HTML code, but my list is very long and I think I'm hitting a character limit. My field was an A2000 but it only loaded up to the letter B and the screen was corrupted- I think because there was no "end select" tag. Doubling my character length crashes the program, but I couldn't find exactly what the length limit is. I truncated the list to only 20 items and it works beautifully.

Is there some way around this? My dropdown is a list of names and I need to make sure that the user selects it from a list rather than free typing it so that it will match up with the correct person later in the application. Each person has an ID associated with them, and that is the field that I'm really trying to capture.

My code looks looks like this to set the DROP_DOWN field, which is an HTML type on my grid:

declare LIST/A2000;
Compute LIST = "<select><option value=0></option>";
Compute j = 1;
Repeat physStk.foccount
	Compute LIST = LIST||"<option value="||physStk(j).PROVIDER_id||">"
		||physStk(j).PROVIDER_NAME||"</option>";
	Compute j = j + 1;
EndRepeat
Compute LIST = LIST||"</select>"; 
Compute i = 1;
Repeat stk.foccount
	Compute stk(i).DROP_DOWN = IF stk(i).disch_md1 GT 0 stk(i).disch_md1_name ELSE 
		"<select name=md"||i||"><option value=0></option>"||LIST;
	Compute i = i + 1;
EndRepeat

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 7.7.2
Win2003
Excel, HTML, PDF
August 18, 2011, 08:55 AM
Maintain Wizard
You can try:

declare LIST/A0;

This will make LIST as big as it needs to be. It IS possible you are hitting some limit either on the form or in the code, but it's not one that I know of.

Mark
August 18, 2011, 11:26 AM
jjoyce
Yeah I just tried the field to an A0 but get basically the same result.

If I limit the length of the dropdown to 50 records, it still works; at 75 it either crashes edaserve or returns "EDA no data".

WebFOCUS 7.7.2
Win2003
Excel, HTML, PDF
August 24, 2011, 03:26 PM
Kerry
Hi jjoyce,

To confirm if this is a limit somewhere, you may want to get help via a case with Customer Support Services. To open a case, you may either call at 1-800-736-6130, or access online at InfoResponse.

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.
August 25, 2011, 07:56 AM
Maintain Wizard
This issue was solved with a clever work-around. The issue is, only the drop down values on the displayed portion of the grid were retraining their values. To solve this we created a hidden field to return the selected value.

To avoid this issue in the future, we are adding a checkbox as well as other options to the columns of the grid so they can be selected instead of created.

Mark