Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [WORKAROUND] Dashboard: Pop-Up Descriptions/Alt Text on Hover over Title

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[WORKAROUND] Dashboard: Pop-Up Descriptions/Alt Text on Hover over Title
 Login/Join

posted
Hi There!
I've searched but cannot find any information on whether pop-up descriptions within the Dashboard are possible/how to do it when a user hovers over the title. I feel like there has to be an Alt text capability.

I understand how to make them in the reports for the columns themselves... but is this possible elsewhere?

Thanks so much,
Shawna

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Shawna,

WebFOCUS 7.6.7
WIN XP
Excel, PDF, HTML

Expert
posted Hide Post
You can achieve this in HTML Composer by selecting an element and entering text in the "Title of element" property.

This generates normal HTML code, which you can also add in any HTML file:

title="This is a test"

Please let us know where in B.I. Dashboard you're trying to make this work.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, great advice.

I'm trying to make this work within the pages of various group views. We have links to over 100 reports on these pages and it would be extremely helpful for the userbase if we could provide report descriptions when a user hovers over a link.

WebFOCUS 7.6.7
WIN XP
Excel, PDF, HTML

Expert
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, if you're talking about links built by B.I. Dashboard Viewbuilder (a Block containing a List) you can't have these hover help descriptions.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Popup descrition come from the Title element if filled out as Francis pointed out or from a Decription added to a master file. For example:

FIELD=UNITS, ALIAS=E10, FORMAT=I08, TITLE='Unit Sales', DESC='Number of units sold',$

When you develop your report goto to the
Report Options --> Features Tab and check Pop-up Decriptions.

WF 7703M, XP/Win7, MRE, RC, BID, PMF, HTML, PDF, Excel 2000/7/10

Posts: 73 | Location: NY | Registered: February 06, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
As AlexU suggests, report column title pop-up descriptions appear if there are DESCRIPTION tags in the Master and if the POPUPDESC is set to ON.

This doesn't solve Shawna's dilemma.

Francis

Gold member
posted Hide Post
If you are concerned about the report names that appear on your dashboard list block then you can modify the name of the report itself to provide whatever information you want to convey to the user.
If you right click on the report name in Dev Studio (in MRE) and select Properties you can make the Name as descriptive as you like. The file name will remain the same. The Name you enter here will also be displayed in a popup when you hover over it in the dashboard. If the entire Name does now display because of it's width the popup does wrap the full description you entered.

WF 7703M, XP/Win7, MRE, RC, BID, PMF, HTML, PDF, Excel 2000/7/10

Posts: 73 | Location: NY | Registered: February 06, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the great suggestions.

I just finished trying out both solutions, sorry for the delay.

While the ability to create hover options over the title of the columns is very useful and great to know, it still doesn't solve the issue of have the dashboard view builder display the names.

Alex's suggestion is also helpful - but not necessarily what we're looking for. The report name looks too long to be acceptable by our users.

What I'm really looking for is something like this:
CAR REPORT (then on hover) -shows a listing of all cars by make, model, and year by user's selected region and date range. Used for Sales History.

CAR PROFITS REPORT (then on hover) -shows a count of all cars, the cost to the company, the sale price, the difference between cost and sale prices, overhead cost, commission cost, and finally a total number of $$s and percentage which representents profits. User selects region and date range.

A big complaint we have is that we have too many reports that noone understands what the differences between them are or what they do -manually checking each one wastes their time.

Thanks gentlemen so much for your help, if it can't be done...it can't be done.
Thanks again!
Shawna

WebFOCUS 7.6.7
WIN XP
Excel, PDF, HTML