Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [WORKAROUND] Collect subtotals at bottom?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[WORKAROUND] Collect subtotals at bottom?
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
I'm looking to create a sort of summary grand-total on a BY field at the end of my report just before the grandtotal, but I can't seem to figure out how. An example explains best what I want I think.

In below procedure, I want to add a subtotal for Coffee, Food and for Gifts before the Grandtotal - sort of a Grand-subtotal:
TABLE FILE GGSALES
SUM 
     GGSALES.SALES01.UNITS
     GGSALES.SALES01.DOLLARS
     GGSALES.SALES01.BUDUNITS
     GGSALES.SALES01.BUDDOLLARS
BY  LOWEST GGSALES.SALES01.CATEGORY
BY  LOWEST GGSALES.SALES01.CITY
BY  LOWEST GGSALES.SALES01.PRODUCT

ON GGSALES.SALES01.CITY SUBTOTAL AS '*TOTAL'
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM NOLEAD 
ON TABLE COLUMN-TOTAL AS 'TOTAL'
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT HTML
END

Meaning, just before the line with the Grand total I need lines:
TOTAL Coffee ... ... ...
TOTAL Food ... ... ...
TOTAL Gifts ... ... ...

Sounds easy, right?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Wep5622,

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
read up on RECAP

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I don't quite see how RECAP would help here? That information seems to go in between the sort groups (in this case on category) regardless.

I need them at the end, one row for each category - with a variable number of categories in my actual case.

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
How about a dummy subfoot and your create the items for the subfoot before the table request.

-SET &ECHO = 'ALL';
SET ASNAMES = ON
SET HOLDLIST = PRINTONLY

DEFINE FILE GGSALES
QUOTE/A1 = '"';
TOTL/A7  = '*Total ';
SPT_MRK/A4 = '<+0>';
DUMMY/A1 = ' ';
END

TABLE FILE GGSALES
SUM 
     TOTL
     CATEGORY
     SPT_MRK
     UNITS
     SPT_MRK
     DOLLARS
     SPT_MRK
     BUDUNITS
     SPT_MRK
     BUDDOLLARS

BY CATEGORY NOPRINT
ON TABLE HOLD AS HCATLIST FORMAT ALPHA
END
-RUN

TABLE FILE GGSALES
SUM 
     UNITS
     DOLLARS
     BUDUNITS
     BUDDOLLARS

BY  DUMMY NOPRINT
BY  LOWEST CATEGORY
BY  LOWEST CITY
BY  LOWEST PRODUCT

ON CITY SUBTOTAL AS '*TOTAL'
ON DUMMY SUBFOOT
-INCLUDE hcatlist.ftm
ON TABLE COLUMN-TOTAL AS 'TOTAL'
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=SUBFOOT,HEADALIGN=BODY,JUSTIFY=RIGHT,$
TYPE=SUBFOOT,ITEM=1,COLSPAN=3,JUSTIFY=LEFT,$
ENDSTYLE
END

WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Unix Self-Service/MRE/Report Caster - Outputs Excel, PDF, HTML, Flat Files

Posts: 320 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: February 12, 2008Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Okay, so that's not really possible then, unless you jump through a lot of hoops to get an average result...

I ended up including a new TABLE request with just the category (sub-)totals and a grand total. It adds a new page to the report, but that's better than the alternatives.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Wep,

This is a job for... Mcguyver!

-* File wep06.fex

JOIN BLANK WITH CATEGORY IN GGSALES TO BLANK IN FSEQ AS B_
DEFINE FILE GGSALES
BLANK/A1 WITH CATEGORY=' ';
XCATEGORY/A20=IF COUNTER EQ 2 THEN 'Total ' | CATEGORY ELSE CATEGORY;
XCITY/A20=IF COUNTER EQ 2 THEN ' ' ELSE CITY;
XPRODUCT/A20=IF COUNTER EQ 2 THEN ' ' ELSE PRODUCT;
CATEGORYSORT/A1=IF COUNTER EQ 2 THEN ' ' ELSE '1';
END

TABLE FILE GGSALES
SUM 
     UNITS
     DOLLARS
     BUDUNITS
     BUDDOLLARS
BY HIGHEST CATEGORYSORT NOPRINT
BY XCATEGORY AS CATEGORY
BY XCITY AS CITY
BY XPRODUCT AS PRODUCT
WHERE REGION EQ 'Midwest';
WHERE COUNTER LE 2;
ON XCITY SUBTOTAL AS '*TOTAL' MULTILINE
ON CATEGORYSORT SUBTOTAL AS 'Grand Total'
   WHEN CATEGORYSORT EQ ' ';
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE SET LINES 999999
END

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Danny-SRL,

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I'm happy with the results I have, I feel no need to apply McGuyver to that report.

I've been wondering about why we need the McGuyver technique at all?
It's a rather complicated way of doing something fairly basic, isn't it? What it does, shouldn't that ultimately be possible with native FOCUS commands? Why don't we have those?

Do we really have to play cool attitudes when talking about "the McGuyver technique" so that we can show off to each other how much of an expert we are? (I'm just as guilty of that, I have no intention to deal out blame here). I think we're a bit too focused on the beauty of the complexity of the solution instead of the beauty of the solution itself - on close inspection, it's really more of a horror IMHO.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Wep,

What you are doing is making 2 passes on the Data.
However, what McGuyver proposes is making only 1 pass on the data, doubling the records and sort/sum-ing them accordingly.
It is an elegant solution and it would be intersting to examine which of the 2 solutions is more economical.

Daniel
In Focus since 1982

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
MightyMax, your code works great when you want a single set of sub-totals at the end of the report right before the Grand-Total. Doesn't work well when you need multiple sets of sub-totals for major sort groups. I found this out when I received webfocus agent crashes doing too many INCLUDES on the subfoot. Talk about complicated code...and it was slow to run.

Danny, am I wrong in thinking you're missing some code up top? This doesn't work out of the box for me on 7.6.11. I can make it work by adding standard McGuyver code but maybe there is something new in 8.0/7.7 having to do with fseq?

The "McGuyver Technique" is not some esoteric classroom coding trick. It's needed because it solves several complex coding problems that WebFocus cannot perform easily using standard code. I wish I had learned it back in the Eighties when it was first published in the Focus Sysytems Journals as I would have employed it on many of the coding challenges I faced through the years. I used it again last week becuase it solved another business reporting requirement, that would have taken more code and been less efficient if done another way.

And to all the coders who like to show off (and those who don't), keep it coming! I appreciate your efforts. When talking to potential WebFocus customers, one of the first things I talk positively about (of many) is this Forum, BECAUSE of all of the friendly and knowledgeable help that is offered.

In FOCUS since 1985 - WF 8.009/8.104 Win 8 Outputs: ALL of 'em! Adapters: Sql Server Teradata Oracle

Posts: 161 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: February 20, 2009Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Dave,
I see what you mean.
My FSEQ master has a DATASET attribute which points to the FSEQ data.
Master:

FILE=FSEQ, SUFFIX=FIX, DATASET=FOCALPOINT/FSEQ.DAT, $
  SEGNAME=SEG1
   FIELD=CONTROL, BLANK , A1, A1, $
  SEGNAME=SEG2, PARENT=SEG1, OCCURS=VARIABLE
   FIELD=WHATEVER, , A1, A1, $
   FIELD=COUNTER, ORDER, I4,  I4,$

Data

SOMECHARACTERSFORTHEFSEQFILENOTICETHEFIRSTCHARACTERISASPACE

Daniel
In Focus since 1982