Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] IF Statements for a Custom Report that uses HOLD file

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] IF Statements for a Custom Report that uses HOLD file
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,

I am preparing a complex report for my business using custom Headers and Footers. But I have reached a roadblock Frowner and would seem some assistance from you guys.

So here is the basic overview. The report has a Fixed Header and Footer which it prints at the top and bottom.
The Body of the report is the value it gets from the Postgres view (via SQL passthru). Now I would like to have different rows printed in the body section depending on a certain condition

E.g. If type EQ '3' THEN PRINT
A
B
C
ELSE PRINT
D
E
F

I tried this logic but when I go to run my report it only prints the Header and Footer and completely ignores the body

My Code is like this. Sorry for providing the whole bit I just wanted to make it clear to you guys. Basically the check is on the variable transaction_type. If it is 3 then print a specific order of rows else it it's 2 print another order or rows

SET STYLEMODE = FIXED
SET HOLDLIST = PRINTONLY
-RUN

ENGINE SQLPSTGR SET DEFAULT_CONNECTION report
ENGINE SQLPSTGR SET VARCHAR ON
SQL SQLPSTGR PREPARE SQLOUT FOR
SELECT * from datafile;
END
-RUN

TABLE FILE SQLOUT
PRINT
COMPUTE DATE/A10 = TRIM('B', FPRINT(date, 'A10', 'A10'), 10, ' ', 1, 'A10');
COMPUTE LOCATION_NAME/A20 = TRIM('B',FPRINT(location_name, 'A60', 'A20'), 20, ' ', 1, 'A20');
COMPUTE TRANSACTION_TYPE/A1 = TRIM('B',FPRINT(transaction_type, 'A5', 'A1'), 1, ' ', 1, 'A1');
COMPUTE TRANSACTION_NAME/A32 = TRIM('B',FPRINT(transaction_name, 'A50', 'A32'), 32, ' ', 1, 'A32');
COMPUTE STATE/A3 = TRIM('B',FPRINT(state, 'A255', 'A3'), 3, ' ', 1, 'A3');
COMPUTE AMOUNT/A12 = TRIM('B',FPRINT(amount, 'I11', 'A12'), 12, ' ', 1, 'A12');
ON TABLE HOLD AS HOLD0
END
-RUN

-* Further Data Manipulations, Logic and declarations of the Header and Footer are carried out here
DEFINE FILE HOLD0

-*Headers
MAINHEADER/A122 = 'TRANSACTIONS   ';

-*Footers
FOOTER1/A122 = '000CORP      00135650';
END

-* A Template HOLD0 is defined which will hold all the values in it's final form. It includes all the relevant columns and rows
TABLE FILE HOLD0
PRINT
  MAINHEADER
  DATE
  LOCATION_NAME
  TRANSACTION_TYPE
  TRANSACTION_NAME
  STATE
  AMOUNT
  FOOTER1
ON TABLE HOLD AS LINKHOLD FORMAT FOCUS
END

-* A temporary ftm file is created that holds all the data from the queries below. So, it's broken into Header, Body and Footer
-* Finally this entire ftm file points to a predefined Master file (at the end of the procedure) where it is finally saved as a report

FILEDEF LINKOUT DISK foccache/link_datafile.ftm
-RUN

-* Print out MAINHEADER line 
TABLE FILE LINKHOLD
SUM
MAINHEADER AS '';
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE SET SHOWBLANKS ON
ON TABLE HOLD AS LINKOUT FORMAT ALPHA
END
-RUN

-* A new FILEDEF so that we now append new data
FILEDEF LINKOUT DISK foccache/link_datafile.ftm (APPEND
-RUN

-* Print out the Report Details i.e. Body
TABLE FILE LINKHOLD

IF TRANSACTION_TYPE EQ '3' THEN PRINT
DATE AS ''
LOCATION_NAME AS ''
TRANSACTION_TYPE AS ''
TRANSACTION_NAME AS ''
ELSE PRINT
STATE AS ''
AMOUNT ''
END
-RUN

-* Print out FOOTER1
TABLE FILE LINKHOLD
SUM
FOOTER1 AS '';
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE SET SHOWBLANKS ON
END
-RUN

-* This FILEDEF points to the premade MASTER FILE (link_datafile.mas) for this XSL output - basically 1 line per record of 150 characters (A150)
-* Each line is saved in a variable INREC
FILEDEF LINK_DATAFILE DISK foccache/link_datafile.ftm
-RUN

TABLE FILE LINK_DATAFILE
PRINT INREC
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT DFIX DELIMITER TAB
END
-EXIT

If there is any way to achieve this using WebFocus it would be great. It seems so hard to carry out data manipulations using their FOCUS language as it's so hard to understand it!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: touch,

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Master
posted Hide Post
Dear touch,

It seems you're missing some vital knowledge about reporting-language and Dialogmanager commands.

stuff like:
TABLE FILE LINKHOLD
IF TRANSACTION_TYPE EQ '3' THEN...

Will just give you a syntax error.

Focus-language is not 'BASIC'

You must use the - commands ( e.g. -IF etc. ) to control what is executed and what not.

Please read some documentation. Even the 'help' in Developer Studio can help you. Just look up IF and you'll see it can not be used the way you're trying.

This might not be the answer you want...
...but you really shouldn't start using webfocus without some education. Either from a course or perhaps some collegues.

G'luck

Posts: 668 | Location: Veghel, The Netherlands | Registered: February 16, 2010Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Dave has a valid point, training and just playing with the product. There is always a mindset when using WebFOCUS, and data manipulation is really easy when you understand the product. That is what is does.

I would take a different approach to yours when getting to your requirement, this is really mountain and molehill, but rather than totally reinventing the wheel:
-* Print out the Report Details i.e. Body
TABLE FILE LINKHOLD
PRINT
COMPUTE LINE/A122 =
IF TRANSACTION_TYPE EQ '3' THEN DATE | LOCATION_NAME | TRANSACTION_TYPE | TRANSACTION_NAME 
ELSE STATE | AMOUNT;  AS ''
END
-RUN

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I have selectively printed columns on a report using parameters and amper variables. Here is a quick example using the CAR file. When the PRINT FLAG is 1 then the 'stats' are not printed, when PRINT FLAG NE 1 then the 'stats' are printed.

-* File focal_point_print.fex
-SET  &PRINT_NOPRINT = IF &PRINT_FLAG EQ 1 THEN 'NOPRINT' ELSE ' ';
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT 
     CAR.ORIGIN.COUNTRY
     CAR.COMP.CAR
     CAR.CARREC.MODEL
     CAR.BODY.BODYTYPE
     CAR.BODY.SEATS
     CAR.BODY.DEALER_COST
     CAR.BODY.RETAIL_COST
     CAR.BODY.SALES
     CAR.SPECS.LENGTH &PRINT_NOPRINT
     CAR.SPECS.WIDTH &PRINT_NOPRINT 
     CAR.SPECS.WHEELBASE &PRINT_NOPRINT 
     CAR.SPECS.FUEL_CAP &PRINT_NOPRINT
     CAR.SPECS.BHP &PRINT_NOPRINT 
     CAR.SPECS.RPM &PRINT_NOPRINT 
     CAR.SPECS.MPG &PRINT_NOPRINT 
     CAR.SPECS.ACCEL &PRINT_NOPRINT
     CAR.WARANT.WARRANTY
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM NOLEAD 
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT HTML
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
     INCLUDE = endeflt,
$
ENDSTYLE
END 

WebFOCUS 8.0.05
Windows- Excel, PDF

Posts: 21 | Location: Crystal City, VA & Kalamazoo, MI | Registered: October 11, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot guys. and Also Dave for your valuable thoughts

I am new to webFocus and especially the FOCUS language. I usually build reports through SQL queries and then apply the appropriate formatting in WebFocus. This custom report requires some FOCUS knowledge so came across a roadblock.

I played around with it and got it as follows

PRINT
A
B
C
IF TRANSACTION_TYPE EQ '3'

It works now when the IF statement is after what is printed

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs