Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Need WebFOCUS 8 Security Mentoring .... bad!

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Need WebFOCUS 8 Security Mentoring .... bad!
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
We have upgraded and migrated our 7.7.03 dashboards to webfocus 8 but I am having some real difficulties getting my head around the new security. The last step before we switch over is for me to get our registered users cleaned up so am trying to create some instructions for our helpdesk but I can't register a user that has appropriate access to the dashboards.

I have looked at and duplicated the authorities from a migrated user but still no luck.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

WebFOCUS 8202M
Client: Windows Server 2012R2/Tomcat 8.0/IIS
Server: IBM i v7r2m0
MS-SQL

Posts: 28 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: March 03, 2011Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi,

This gets complicated.

Basically there is a role that equeates to a group of permissions. For example domain_basic_users one of the permissions available for roles is "Access Dashboards" make sure the role is granted this permission

Now I assume your user is in a group for example "Basic_users_group"

On the folder in the content tree make sure that group has the domain_basic_user Role permitted and the person should then be able to view the dashboard.

Webfocus 8.0.7 on Windows

Posts: 176 | Location: Ohio | Registered: October 26, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
This is where things get very confusing for me.

To detail a basic user account that was migrated ...
The user is a member of these migrated groups:
IBFS:/SSYS/GROUPS/Schedule_privilege
IBFS:/SSYS/GROUPS/base
IBFS:/SSYS/GROUPS/base/schedule
IBFS:/SSYS/GROUPS/Library_privilege

I deleted a basic test user and went through the process of re-adding them to get documentation together for our helpdesk team so added the user and subsequently added them to these 4 groups.

Logging in with this test user, on our first dashboard tab that consists of just an HTML welcome page, I get an error "Error Access to item denied". Then going into each of the tabs none of the reports are displaying.

The original user I templated this user off of though works perfect.

What am I missing?

WebFOCUS 8202M
MS-SQL

Posts: 28 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: March 03, 2011Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Is this a dashboard also get moved from 77 to 80? Did those users already got access to that dashboard?

If you migrated everything from 77 to 80 then if it is not working means, there are 2 settings you need to do.

Please confirm the above then I will tell you the next steps.

Windows, All Formats

Posts: 184 | Registered: December 27, 2013Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
The dashboards and users were moved from 77 to 80. The users that had access previously and were migrated are working fine and still have their original functionality intact.

I am unable to add any other users though.

WebFOCUS 8202M
MS-SQL

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
After you added the user, right click on the user and it will show a popup window with 2 tabs.

The second tab is for Role. Select that and the last option might be WF_ROLE_USER or something like that. Select that.

And also, this user might be on the dashboard group and also the domain.

Windows, All Formats

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I see that maybe this is a factor to the issues I am having. I do not have the tab available for Role when editing a user. I am the only admin on the system, how would I fix this?

WebFOCUS 8202M
MS-SQL

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Go to security center, right click on user --> Edit

you should see 2 tabs. The second tab will say Default_Role.

That is where you need to change.

Windows, All Formats

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi,

The method described above is technically mimicing the old method of doing security

To enable the ability to see the old roles do the following click on administration. under application settings click other then set IBI_ENABLE_UDR to True.

I don't think you have to restart the JVM for the change to take effect. Now when you right click a user you will see the role tab.

If you want to see what permissions the role on the user gets when you give them basic_user then in security center click the Roles Tab at the tob so you no longer see the list of users and groups. Scroll down and you will see a set of locked "roles" one of them being WF_ROLE_USER if you double click and open that you will see that they have the legacy privilege to access a dashboard.

You can accomplish the same thing by creating a new group under you BASE group called Base Basic Users then
in the content tree give the basic users group the wf_role_user permission the security workshop/class provided by IBI goes into this in detail and describes how the new security works. Though the security and administration manual isn't a bad place to start.

Crystal

Webfocus 8.0.7 on Windows

Posts: 176 | Location: Ohio | Registered: October 26, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, CLH is right. We need to set the variable in administration console.

If you want to get the new security features then you need to apply the modernization on your existing domain. Just create a new enterprise domain with the same name of existing domain, that will refresh your old domain to the new WF8 format domain. Then you can see the options for "Advance Users, Basic Users, etc...)".

I know it is not straight forward but once you get the real functionality working, you can see the use of the new security model. It is very good.

Windows, All Formats

Expert
posted Hide Post
It's more then Menotoring... it's training...
IB Has all the training you need for this...

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot guys, I think I am finally getting my head around this. I have seriously been banging my head against a wall on this for a week now and nothing made sense.

I went the route of creating a new sub group under base and giving that sub group WF_Role_User and WF_Privilege_schedule and everything worked exactly how I would expect it should as the security and administration manual described.

The migrated authority is really a mystery to me though. I do not understand how these migrated users have access. I had assumed the migrated groups had appropriate privileges but it is becoming obvious that they did not and trying to look at a migrated user to pattern the authority for new users is not going to work.

We are doing just a straight forward migration at this point and I will be working on modernizing after we go live but it is looking to me like this security step is one that is necessary for me to be able to add users to the migrated content.

We do have a number of domains so I can now set up these new sub groups and write up some documentation for our helpdesk to add users. This was the last show stopper to us going live so I am very relieved.

Again thank you.

WebFOCUS 8202M
MS-SQL