Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] where test on multiple segments of multi-segment focus database

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] where test on multiple segments of multi-segment focus database
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
Hi,
The datamart for our advancement division is a multi-segment focus database created using MODIFY. We are having a problem when doing a WHERE test against multiple segments. For example, we have this statement:
WHERE STAF_CON_CD1 EQ 'DNB' OR SPC_PRP_TYPE EQ 'DNB'
In the .mas file for our database, the field STAF_CON_CD1 is in a segment called CONS_02 with segtype=U, and the parent=root. The field SPC_PRP_TYPE is in a segment called SPECPURP with segtype=S2, also with parent=root. Not all constituents have an entry in either the CONS_02 or the SPECPURP segment. The above WHERE statement seems to eliminate those constituents that have a STAF_CON_CD1 EQ 'DNB' but that have no records at all in the SPECPURP segment.
Any ideas how to get around this problem? I can't use SET ALL=PASS or the .ALL operator because then I seem to get contituents that are missing either segment. I need my answer set to be constituents that 1) have STAF_CON_CD1 EQ 'DNB' (and SPC_PRP_TYPE can either be 'DNB' or the SPECPURP segment can be missing) or 2) have SPC_PRP_TYPE EQ 'DNB' (with STAF_CON_CD1 EQ 'DNB' or the CONS_02 segment can be missing). To summarize what I am trying to do... if I run a request just with STAF_CON_CD1 EQ 'DNB' and I get 100 records, and then I run a request just with SPC_PRP_TYPE EQ 'DNB' and get 50 records then I am expecting to get 150 records (100+50) if I run a request with WHERE STAF_CON_CD1 EQ 'DNB' OR 'SPC_PRP_TYPE EQ 'DNB'.

Any ideas, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

(WF 7.6.5/7.6.10 running on Windows)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 7.7.05
Windows 2008

Expert
posted Hide Post
I think you have your login in your post.

I think you have your answer in your post. (Bad case of aphasia)

Perhaps you could use WHERE TOTAL and SET ALL=PASS.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Waz,

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hi,
What do you mean by "I think you have your login in your post"?? My post does not contain any usernames or passwords...

WebFOCUS 7.7.05
Windows 2008

Master
posted Hide Post
You could use MATCH FILE for this. The first pass will select the appropriate records from the CONS_02 segment and the second pass will select the records from the SPECPURP segment.

MATCH FILE XXXXX
PRINT STAF_CON_CD1
BY KEY_IN_PARENT
WHERE STAF_CON_CD1 EQ 'DNB'
RUN
FILE XXXXX
PRINT SPC_PRP_TYPE
BY KEY_IN_PARENT
WHERE SPC_PRP_TYPE EQ 'DNB'
AFTER MATCH HOLD OLD-AND-NEW
END

SET ALL=ON

TABLE FILE HOLD
PRINT STAF_CON_CD1 SPC_PRP_TYPE
BY KEY_IN_PARENT
END

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP

Posts: 674 | Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada ... In Focus since 1985 | Registered: September 28, 2010Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hi,
Thanks for the response.
Yes, I know MATCH will work but unfortunately my users write reports against our datamart using a menu driven system (written long before I arrived on the scene) that allows them to construct IF, WHERE, and BY statements, create headings and subtotals, and specify an output format. There is no way for them to create a MATCH request. I was hoping there was a SET flag or something that I was missing that would allow me to work around the problem.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05
Windows 2008

Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George Patton:
You could use MATCH FILE for this. The first pass will select the appropriate records from the CONS_02 segment and the second pass will select the records from the SPECPURP segment.

MATCH FILE XXXXX
PRINT STAF_CON_CD1
BY KEY_IN_PARENT
WHERE STAF_CON_CD1 EQ 'DNB'
RUN
FILE XXXXX
PRINT SPC_PRP_TYPE
BY KEY_IN_PARENT
WHERE SPC_PRP_TYPE EQ 'DNB'
AFTER MATCH HOLD OLD-AND-NEW
END

SET ALL=ON

TABLE FILE HOLD
PRINT STAF_CON_CD1 SPC_PRP_TYPE
BY KEY_IN_PARENT
END

OOPS - I took a shower after writing this and as usual the brain started to work...

I should have written:

AFTER MATCH HOLD OLD-OR-NEW

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP

Posts: 674 | Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada ... In Focus since 1985 | Registered: September 28, 2010Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Leo

Maybe you can try to explain the end-users that the webfocus world has more to offer then they use.
Show them some new options, maybe the can use developer studio or infoassist for there needs.

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post