Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Using OVER with ACROSS and BORDER in HTML

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Using OVER with ACROSS and BORDER in HTML
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
Hello,

I am seeing an awkward behaviour when running code in my WebFOCUS 5.3.4 Unix environment when all of the following conditions are met:

- Usage of OVER
- Usage of ACROSS
- HTML Output format
- HTMLCSS ON
- BORDER keyword in style section

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
        SEATS OVER
        RETAIL_COST
BY CAR
ACROSS COUNTRY AS ''
ON TABLE ROW-TOTAL AS 'GRAND TOTAL'
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT HTML
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=REPORT, UNITS=IN, SQUEEZE=ON, WRAP=OFF, TITLETEXT='Sample Report', $
TYPE=DATA, BORDER=LIGHT, $
ENDSTYLE
END

I consistently get the following error:

An error has been detected during server to client data transfer.
ERROR: -12: Pcb2.: java.io.EOFException

Now, if I change any of the elements listed above such as: changing output format to PDF or EXL2K, or removing HTMLCSS, or removing either ACROSS or OVER from the request or simply removing the BORDER=LIGHT in the styling then the report works properly. Funny enough setting BORDER=OFF does not work either; the keyword must be removed altogether for the report to run Confused

I tested this in my local 7.6.9 Dev Studio environment and the report works properly although no border is seen around the column where SALES and RETAIL_COST appear. That would be a minor cosmetic issue we'd be able to live with if the report ran at all in the actual Production environment. Of course! That element is supposed to be styled with a TITLE element.

Has any of you encountered a similar situation in WF 5.3 before? Is that combination of elements somewhat "forbidden"? I did try searching throughout IBI technical support and Focal Point for similar cases but could not find any leads.

Now, in the circumstance that this could be due to some configuration setting either on the Client or Server WF component would you please be able to give me some hint as to where I should start looking?

Migrating to 7.6 is not an option for us now Frowner

Thanks in advance!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: njsden,

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Update:

I found this case in Tech Support: http://techsupport.information...oblems/31912508.html

quote:

The BORDER-RIGHT is missing when STYLESHEET attribue SQUEEZE is used with
a procedure that also includes SUM, OVER and BY. Removing the SQUEEZE
attribute or the OVER command or changing BY to ACROSS displays the
right border.

I thought it could have been related so I removed the SQUEEZE=ON from the request but I get the same error. Frowner

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2

Expert
posted Hide Post
I don't have v5.3.2 so I can't help much, but try a slightly different styling:

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
SEATS OVER
RETAIL_COST
BY CAR
ACROSS COUNTRY AS ''
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=REPORT, SQUEEZE=ON, WRAP=OFF,
FONT='ARIAL', SIZE=8,
BORDER=1, BORDER-COLOR=SILVER,
$
ENDSTYLE
END

If this doesn't work, I would start with no styling, then add styling components one by one - process of elimination in reverse.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Thanks Francis,

I'll give that one a try!

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
This is the simplest styling I could come up with:

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
        SEATS OVER
        RETAIL_COST
BY CAR
ACROSS COUNTRY AS ''
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=REPORT, BORDER=1, $
ENDSTYLE
END

The error is still the same. I can remove the BORDER and throw other styling elements (alternating BACKCOLOR, FONT, SIZE, JUSTIFY, ...) and everything works as expected. It is the BORDER element that breaks it, but only with the other conditions met. I could also remove HTMLCSS from the statement but then the formatting gets so ugly that I would need to manually define CSS classes for only this one report and that would then clash with the coding framework that we;re trying to keep.

Anyway, I think I'll have to rely on the good ol' McGyver to duplicate my records so I can avoid using OVER altogether.

Thanks very much again. Smiler

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Can this topic be updated from [SOLVED] to [WORKAROUND] or just [CLOSED], please?

The simple and clean OVER keyword needed to be removed and replaced by the use of an additional masterfile and extra join so we could achieve what was required but the original issue as described is still present in our environment.

Thank you.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
After a long wait, I'm happy to report that my client finally upgraded to WebFOCUS 7.7 and this issue is no longer.

Even with its glithes glitches (like the above) I sort of miss that good old WF 5.3.4 server ...

Expert
posted Hide Post
you mean glitches like 'glithes'? Razzer

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Oops, sorry ... I'll fix that! Winky