Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     PDF header not displaying desired value from field

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
PDF header not displaying desired value from field
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
I am having trouble conditionally populating my header in PDF format. I have a report that currently has HTML output and shows up properly. I was asked by my user to create a printable pdf version and have been able to do so with the exception of my header.

I have my header coded as such:

">YPE.EVAL For&VP_HD&RG_HD&DS_HD&ZN_HD&AGT_HD"
"&CST_HD For&PRD_HD"

and my sets for the header are:
-SET >YPE = IF '&CAMATRIX.EVAL' EQ 'X'
- THEN 'Trending View'
- ELSE IF '&CAMATRIX.EVAL' EQ 'S' OR 'P' OR 'C'
- THEN 'Comparison View'
- ELSE 'Matrix View';
-SET &VP_HD = IF '&VP.EVAL' NE '$*'
- THEN ' - ELSE IF '&RGN.EVAL' EQ '$*'
- THEN ' Entire LFOB'
- ELSE '';
-SET &RG_HD = IF '&RGN.EVAL' EQ '$*'
- THEN ''
- ELSE IF &OUTPUT EQ 'HTML'
- THEN ' Rg &RGN.EVAL'
- ELSE ' -*
-SET &DS_HD = IF '&DST.EVAL' EQ '$*'
- THEN ''
- ELSE ' Ds &DST.EVAL';
-SET &ZN_HD = IF '&ZNE.EVAL' EQ '$*'
- THEN ''
- ELSE ' Zn &ZNE.EVAL';
-SET &AGT_HD = IF '&AGT.EVAL' EQ '$*'
- THEN ''
- ELSE ' Agt &AGT.EVAL';
-SET &CST_HD = IF '&CST.EVAL' EQ '$*'
- THEN ' All Customer Segments'
- ELSE ' -*
-SET &PRD_HD = IF '&PRD.EVAL' EQ '$*'
- THEN ' All Product Verticals'
- ELSE ' -*

this essentially passes the following code to be processed by webfocus:

">YPE.EVAL For "&CST_HD For&PRD_HD"

In my PDF output, the & vars are showing up properly as they should because the values are being passed, but my values that are fields (beginning with < like VP_NM2 and RG_NM) are showing me the first value in my tables instead of the proper values that they should. Has anyone come across this behavior in PDF before? Does anyone understand why PDF reports behave this way?

Eric Woerle
WF 7.6.7 Reportting Server
ETL 7.6.10
Dev Studio 7.6.7

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi Eric,

Some of the SET commands look a little odd, like the last one doesn't end with a semi-colon.

Could you repost with default values for the &variables? And review the -SET constructs.

WebFocus 7x, 8x, Win / Linux, any output format

Posts: 70 | Location: reading, pa | Registered: April 07, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Eric,
In order to view your code correctly you have to insert it between 2 tags. You access the tags by clicking on the red icon
</>
Please do so so that we can continue.

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
To understand what your proper values should be, you better post the whole fex.
The "<" values in a [sub)head will be correct if you also have a by field on that head field.

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
are showing me the first value in my tables instead of the proper values that they should. Has anyone come across this behavior in PDF before? Does anyone understand why PDF reports behave this way?

Also, in general variables in a heading are the first one seen on a page, does the same variable value show up on every page?

Leah

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Eric,

You show us the variable logic in your report and then say that works OK but the heading field values are misreported. So why show us the variables? If they work then we don't need that detail.

If your heading fields are misreported then we need to know the "guts" of your report, the verbs and aggregates.

First guess would be that you are using SUM without any BYs?

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
This is my compound layout. The header below is the same I use for my html report.

-SET &ECHO='ALL';
-SET &OUTPUT='PDF';
COMPOUND LAYOUT
UNITS=IN, $
SECTION=section1, LAYOUT=ON, MERGE=OFF, ORIENTATION=LANDSCAPE, PAGESIZE=Letter, $
pagelayout=1, name='Layout page 1', $
component='graph1', type=report, position=(0.250 0.025), dimension=(10.719 4.400), $
component='report1', type=report, position=(0.250 5.200), dimension=(10.938 5.000), overflow-position=(0.250 0.025), overflow-dimension=(10.938 8.000), $
END
SET COMPONENT='graph1'
-*component_type graph
-INCLUDE app/sls055f5
TABLE FILE &&SLSPRJ
">YPE.EVAL For&VP_HD&RG_HD&DS_HD&ZN_HD&AGT_HD"
"&CST_HD For&PRD_HD"
" "
BY YRMO NOPRINT
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM NOLEAD
IF RECORDLIMIT EQ 1
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=HEADING,
     LINE=1,
     JUSTIFY=CENTER,
	 STYLE=BOLD,
$
TYPE=HEADING,
     LINE=1,
     OBJECT=TEXT,
     ITEM=1,
     COLOR='BLACK',
$
TYPE=HEADING,
     LINE=2,
     JUSTIFY=CENTER,
	 STYLE=BOLD,
$
TYPE=HEADING,
     LINE=2,
     OBJECT=TEXT,
     ITEM=1,
     COLOR='BLACK',
$
TYPE=HEADING,
	 IMAGE=TMPGRPH.gif,
	 position=(0 0.25),
$
END
SET COMPONENT='report1'
-*component_type report
-*-? &
-*-EXIT
-INCLUDE app/sls055f1
COMPOUND END

As I take a second look at this, I realize that in my frustration I forgot that in the layout painter my headers were not being populated from my graph, like in the html, but in the same fex that utilizes the graph hold file in the header. I've put in my where statements and its running properly now.

Thanks

Eric Woerle
WF 7.6.7 Reportting Server
ETL 7.6.10
Dev Studio 7.6.7

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
">YPE.EVAL

What is that '>' doing in there? What is that supposed to be?

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
That's good news Eric. It oftens takes talking about a problem to highlight something that's been right there from the of!

Ginny.

The >YPE is because Eric didn't enclose his code in the [ code] tags. The actual variable is called GTYPE but when the browser encounters the ampersand prefixed GT it interprets it as the short hand for the right carat symbol.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Tony.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post