Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     IBI_MRuser to populate listbox?
Page 1 2 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
IBI_MRuser to populate listbox?
 Login/Join

Master
posted
I have a listbox control on an html form that I'm populating with the following procedure.

TABLE FILE LKP_SALESPERSON_MQT
PRINT
SALESPERSON_NUM
SALESPERSON_NAME
BY LOWEST SALESPERSON_NAME NOPRINT
WHERE TEAM_LEADER_DBA EQ '&IBIMR_user';
ON TABLE SET HOLDLIST PRINTONLY
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT XML
END

the problem is, that no values are returned. I haven't looked at this form in a long time, i'm not sure if it ever worked. What can I be doing to make this work?

(note: I substitute jsmith for IBI_MRuser in the where clause and it works just fine)

Any ideas? Thanks!

Prod: Single Windows 2008 Server running Webfocus 7.7.03 Reporting server Web server IIS6/Tomcat, AS400 DB2 database.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Jason K.,

Just a thought:

If you are passing IBIMR_user via site.wfs or cgivars, then try:

'&IBIMR_user.EVAL'

If not passing, need to, BUT, I'm betting you are...

Hope this helps...

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I've changed to a
WHERE TEAM_LEADER_DBA EQ '&IBIMR_user.EVAL';

I'm getting an "error retrieving data" message in the bottom left of my Internet Explorer. Could this be something else? Like I said, though, when I change the '&IBIMR_user.EVAL' to a 'jsmith' it works just fine, returning all the values associated with jsmith.

Thanks!

Prod: Single Windows 2008 Server running Webfocus 7.7.03 Reporting server Web server IIS6/Tomcat, AS400 DB2 database.

Expert
posted Hide Post
JK,

Try

-? &
-EXIT

to verify that &IBIMR_user is being passed.

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
-? &
-EXIT

shows this line (among many others Wink )
&IBIMR_user = jkrevitz

Expert
posted Hide Post
GREAT!

So, it is being passed; any records for jkrevitz???

Are you a TEAM_LEADER_DBA ???

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Master
posted Hide Post
yes... there are quite a few. When I change the WHERE EQ 'jkrevitz' it shows them all in format XML.

When I run the fex, outside the HTML form that calls it, it lists them just fine even with the IBI_MRuser

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
What happens if you throw this in the fex?
-SET &IBIMR_user='jkrevitz'

Do you get results?

Production: 7.6.6 WF Server  <=>  7.6.6 WF Client  <=>  7.6.6 Dev Studio
Testing: <none>
Using MRE & BID.  Connected to MS SQL Server 2005
Output Types: HTML, Excel, PDF

Posts: 230 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: May 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
It looks fine to me; probably something simple both of us are missing.

Someone will be along tonite and guide BOTH of us!!

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
ah, too slow on my reply -- it sounds like you already verified that.

uhhh, you might throw together a quick little html layout to make sure it works? You can do it all in the GUI to get the right syntax..

Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trav:
What happens if you throw this in the fex?
-SET &IBIMR_user='jkrevitz'

Do you get results?

that's the thing, the fex runs fine with WHERE NAME EQ IBIMR_USER.EVal and returns all the values for jkrevitz. The problem is when I reference the fex in my html form, if I leave the IBIMR_USER in my where clause, I get an "error retrieving data..." but if I change it to a 'jkrevitz' it runs just fine.

I think there's a problem with the IBIMR_user being passed from the form down to the .fex that populates the listbox or soemthing like that, maybe?

Thanks again. Your responses are so quick, it's very impressive!

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, you shouldn't need the .EVAL in there. I don't think that's the problem though...

I would try a quick HTML layout using the gui and just drop a listbox on there to see what happens (clean slate). You're definitely doing all of this in MRE, right? Normally there isn't anything specific to be done to get the &IBIMR_user into the fex -- esp. if it runs okay on it's own.

Maybe silly, but do you have prompt for parameters turned off on that fex?

Expert
posted Hide Post
Jason,

Sounds like you suffer from the same thing as does my current Client, the value being passed for &IBIMR_user (when not run in MRE environment) is "null", so your fex is actually returning all the valid rows WHERE TEAM_LEADER_DBA EQ 'null'.

What I do to overcome this is -
IF '&IBIMR_user' EQ 'null' THEN '&IBIC_user' ELSE '&IBIMR_user';

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I turned off the prompt for parameters, didn't make it any better. Good idea though.

Tony, I've changed my fex to look like this. Same problem.

-SET &J = IF '&IBIMR_user' EQ 'null' THEN '&IBIC_user' ELSE '&IBIMR_user';
TABLE FILE LKP_SALESPERSON_MQT
PRINT
SALESPERSON_NUM
SALESPERSON_NAME
BY LOWEST SALESPERSON_NAME NOPRINT
WHERE TEAM_LEADER_DBA EQ '&J';
-*WHERE TEAM_LEADER_DBA EQ '&IBIMR_user.EVAL';
-*WHERE TEAM_LEADER_DBA EQ 'jkrevitz';
ON TABLE SET HOLDLIST PRINTONLY
END

It seemed like this used to work when we first built it, but I really can't remember.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Jason,

Turn tracing on and set &ECHO = ALL; to capture the procedure output. Have a look at the fex that is passed to the reporting server, maybe that will help you identify what is being passed for this?

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I think I'm getting somewhere here.
I created a tab on my dashboard, just next to my original HTML form that is giving me trouble. I created a launch block that calls my SALESPERSON_DROPDOWN_XML_POPULATOR.fex and it runs just fine, shows me what it should (except in XML)

Now, I went ahead and created another HTML form, created a single dropdown on it and set the parameters-procedure-SALESPERSON_DROPDOWN_XML_POPULATOR.fex and it returns the exact same error as the first HTML form.

So, I'm concluding that there must be an issue in how the HTML form is calling that populator fex. Not sure what could cause that problem.

Thanks!

Expert
posted Hide Post
Jason,

I don't know if this will help, but to ensure that ALL fexes have the User ID available as a Dialogue Manager variable (not just the fexes that are the result of a WebFOCUS login), add the following to your Custom Settings via the Admin Console:

IBIC_user (pass)
IBIMR_user (pass)

Here's a link with more details:
Using System/User Variables

I apologize if you've already done this, or if this won't work in your environment.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
JK,

Manually edit the html file, and find the select tag. Cange the attribute "cacheruntimedata" in the select open tag from "1" to "0".

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 26, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Jason,

What IBI prefixed INPUT tags are you placing into your HTML form?

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Master
posted Hide Post
Francis, my custom settings file looked like this:
<VER 1>
# $Revision: 1.5 $
# place any variables here from cgivars.wfs that you wish to override.

<set> IBIMR_user(pass)
<set> IBIMR_domain(pass)
<set> MR_FULL_FEXNAME(pass)

I didn't change anything, should I?

dhagen: I didn't find anything that shows a cacheruntimedata run my html code. Here's the script in it's entirety (for the test form)
<!-- Generated by Report Layout Painter -->
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>HtmlPage</TITLE>
<BASE href=HTTP://svr99wfrs:80>
<SCRIPT id=clientEventHandlersJS type=text/javascript>
//Begin function window_onload
function window_onload() {
UpdateData();
// TODO: Add your event handler code here
}
//End function window_onload
</SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT for=window eventname="onload">window.onload = function() { window_onload(); }</SCRIPT>

<META content="MSHTML 6.00.6000.16544" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style="OVERFLOW: auto" edaconnectionrequired="true">
<INPUT id=button1 style="Z-INDEX: 1; LEFT: 370px; WIDTH: 120px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 170px; HEIGHT: 20px" tabIndex=1 type=button size=12 value=Button name=button1>
<SELECT id=combobox1 style="Z-INDEX: 2; LEFT: 190px; WIDTH: 160px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 140px" tabIndex=2 name=combobox1 datasource="app/salesman_dropdown_xml.fex" datatype="1" sourcetype="typeFex" IBIMR_domain="matrixxg/matrixxg.htm" IBIMR_folder="#commissionsm" ibiapp_app></SELECT> </BODY></HTML>

Tony, I'm not sure if I know where to look for what you've mentioned. There's, of course, one input tag in the html, but it's for the button I threw on there that doesn't do anything. when I deleted the button I get this:
<!-- Generated by Report Layout Painter -->
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>HtmlPage</TITLE>
<BASE href=HTTP://svr99wfrs:80>
<SCRIPT id=clientEventHandlersJS type=text/javascript>
//Begin function window_onload
function window_onload() {
UpdateData();
// TODO: Add your event handler code here
}
//End function window_onload
</SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT for=window eventname="onload">window.onload = function() { window_onload(); }</SCRIPT>

<META content="MSHTML 6.00.6000.16544" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style="OVERFLOW: auto" edaconnectionrequired="true"> 
<SELECT id=combobox1 style="Z-INDEX: 2; LEFT: 190px; WIDTH: 160px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 140px" tabIndex=2 name=combobox1 datasource="app/salesman_dropdown_xml.fex" datatype="1" sourcetype="typeFex" IBIMR_domain="matrixxg/matrixxg.htm" IBIMR_folder="#commissionsm" ibiapp_app></SELECT> </BODY></HTML>

Thank you for your help in this.

Master
posted Hide Post
THE PROBLEM HAS BEEN RESOLVED.

I did a quick search on focal point for 'error retrieving data' and found this post.

all I did was add
cacheruntimedata="0" to my select tag. I have NO IDEA why it works now, but it does. I'm not sure why the gui doesn't go ahead and add this option to it.

https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/...941060452#9941060452

Here's the idea behind this parameter according to user 'Sayed' in the mentioned thread.

"It's not a bug because certain things you want the cache runtime to be turned on so that the drop down populates faster. I think this was one of the new feature when version 7.x came out."

why, oh why, would you want this option turned on when it simply returns an error? It should be set to default of 0 when a user sets a fex source for a html form control.

Thank you for your patience folks.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Jason, thanks for following up with the solution. This will help once my client upgrades to 7.6.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
JK,

In the HTML GUI, right/left-click on your list/combobox and the cacheruntime will be checked; un-check it...

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I'm actually having the same problem. I have two chained dropdown lists populated with a fex on an HTML form within MRE. It works great. Now I have added a WHERE clause to the fex that references IBIMR_user. I'm now getting the "error retrieving data" message. I set cacheruntimedata="0" as well and still got the error.

However, on my local machine, it works like a charm. My DevStudio is 764. I thought it was related to the Rpt Server version (I saw it on tech support somewhere) so I just upgraded the server from 762 to 767. Same problem. Do I need to upgrade the client as well? Is it even related to the server version at all? The fex runs fine on its own, but not when populating two dropdown lists.

Thanks.

Mark
WF 7.6 Windows

Expert
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Have you tried turning procedure tracing on to establish if the variable is being passed to the reporting server OK?

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Should be b/c the FEX runs great in MRE except when used to populate the dropdown list boxes. Just to check I turned Proc tracing on and I see this line before the fex:
-SET &IBIMR_user = 'myname'

Thanks.

Mark
WF 7.6 Windows

Expert
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Place -? &IBIMR within the called fex, turn Proc tracing on and check the output. I would guess that it is not being populated. Once you establish that then next step is dependent upon what you find.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I believe it's populated just fine. I get all the right data when I run the fex normally as a report, and even when I use PCHOLD FORMAT XML. But when it's used as a source for two chained dropdown lists, it chokes. You can reproduce it with this:

DEFINE FILE CAR
	MYCAR/A17 = IF (MODEL EQ '&IBIMR_user') THEN CAR | 'A' ELSE CAR | 'B';
END
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT COUNTRY MYCAR
BY COUNTRY
BY HIGHEST MYCAR
END

MYCAR is just a dummy comparison (MODEL will never equal IBIMR_user) but this is just to show how it chokes. Use that to poplate two dropdown lists that are chained.

Thanks.

Mark
WF 7.6 Windows

Expert
posted Hide Post
Mark,

When your fex is used to populate the controls in your HTML page the call is made via AJAX which is not at all like running the fex directly. That is why I suggested what I did.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
ok, i see. I've done this (put -? &IBIMR_user at the start of my fex) and saved the log. I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I see several places where it says "-SET &IBIMR_user = 'maclonghorn';" so not sure if it's working or not. can you look at it and tell?

Thanks.

Mark
WF 7.6 Windows