Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Procedure to retrieve the data from sharepoint side to WebFocus.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Procedure to retrieve the data from sharepoint side to WebFocus.
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,

This is Yogesh, i need to know the Procedure to retrieve the data from sharepoint side to WebFocus.

can anyone please respond me at the earliest as this is the high priority project.

Thanks in advance!
Yogi

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WF 7.1.4
Excel,PDF,HTML

<JG>
posted
Standard consultancy rates are $1,200 per day

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
JG,

You forgot to mention about expenses, as this could be anywhere in the World!!

T

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Yogesh,
quote:
can anyone please respond me at the earliest as this is the high priority project
So what have you done yourself to try and establish how to do this? Anything at all yet?

T

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Tony,

Thanks for your response... we have created MFD's for sharepoint site. if we try to fire a query to sharepoint site it is not allowing us to retrieve the data.

thanks
Yogi

Originally posted by Tony A:
Yogesh,
quote:
can anyone please respond me at the earliest as this is the high priority project
So what have you done yourself to try and establish how to do this? Anything at all yet?

T[/QUOTE]

WF 7.1.4
Excel,PDF,HTML

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Ranjan

Find someone from your technical IT department and ask them to give IBI read access to the sharepoint database.

Find also someone from your managent and ask him to give you some basic traning.

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Instructing someone to get training is solving the problem?
That helps how??
In access 3 mouse clicks and you can import SharePoint tables
In web focus it takes administrators, SharePoint gurus, permissions, and Training ???
The problem is WEB FOCUS and its “DATA Adapters”
A quote from a web focus marketing PDF
"With more than 300 data and application adapters, organizations can access data at every latency level from real-time, zero-latency transactions to staged data in the most summarized data mart."

Apparently SharePoint isn’t one of them Access it takes 3 mouse clicks!!!!
So what is the solution

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I don't think I understand the reason behing the "tone" of your comment Roy or even the analogy you're trying to make.

Access probably connects easily to SharePoint because they're Microsoft products and they're usually designed to interconnect and interact with each other.

Obviously, when you deal with integrating disparate technologies there's always some initial infrastructure setup (config, security, etc.) that has to be done and that you'll find in many platforms that are truly designed for integration ... that isn't just a "WebFOCUS" thing.

Have you managed to integrate SAS, Cognos, Business Objects or other big BI player with all those many technologies without any configuration setup?

Access is not a BI tool per se but regardless, can it connect to Oracle, DB2, SAP, SAS, MySQL, FOCUS, XFOCUS or any JDBC-compliant database in just 3 clicks? At least you'll need ODBC configurations to make that happen and for that you'll likely have to involve administrators, permissions and in many cases training.

quote:
The problem is WEB FOCUS and its “DATA Adapters”

Quite the contrary. Data Adapters are the solution to bringing together infomation from disparate data sources and platforms and integrating them under one single spot. It would be amazing if WF could connect "natively" to any technology out there but as new of those emerge, they would need to rewrite WF every time to keep it up-to-date. I honestly don't know of any BI tool that can natively connect to *everything* available, that's why adapters are needed, and yes, even Access needs data adapters (that's what ODBC is) if it wants to connect to anything that is not a Microsoft product.

quote:
So what is the solution

What do you suggest? Access? Confused

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I will Ask Ranjan what was the solution, how did they finally extract the data/mas from SharePoint data.
I have not gotten the DATA Adapter to extract a response
WSDL URL connected as i can create methods synonym
Apparently now I must edit the Mas file strategically
The Default
getlistandview.mas

FILENAME=M6ILO, SUFFIX=SOAP    , $
  SEGMENT=GETLISTANDVIEW, SEGTYPE=S0, $
   GROUP=GETLISTANDVIEW, ALIAS=GetListAndView, ELEMENTS=2, $
    FIELDNAME=LISTNAME, ALIAS=listName, USAGE=A30, ACTUAL=A30, ACCESS_PROPERTY=(NEED_VALUE), $
    FIELDNAME=VIEWNAME, ALIAS=viewName, USAGE=A30, ACTUAL=A30, ACCESS_PROPERTY=(NEED_VALUE), $
    FIELDNAME=__RESPONSE, USAGE=TX80L, ACTUAL=TX, ACCESS_PROPERTY=(INTERNAL), $
  SEGMENT=RESPONSE, SEGTYPE=S0, SEGSUF=XML     , PARENT=GETLISTANDVIEW, POSITION=__RESPONSE, $
    FIELDNAME=RESPONSE, ALIAS=GetListAndViewResponse, USAGE=A1, ACTUAL=A1, ACCESS_PROPERTY=(INTERNAL), $
    FIELDNAME=GETLISTANDVIEWRESULT, ALIAS=GetListAndViewResult, USAGE=A30, ACTUAL=A30,
      REFERENCE=RESPONSE, PROPERTY=ELEMENT,  $

So what would you edit so that this will work? Confused

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
Neftali,

Thank you for taking the time to write a clear-headed rebuttal - I couldn't, I was seeing red.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Roy, did you search this forum for Sharepoint related posts? There are quite a few. At least one of them discuss the required modifications to the Master. Then there's Tech Support - did you open a case, or search for cases related to Sharepoint?

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Yes I opened a case and had the pleasure of meeting Walter F Blood.
We discussed how difficult the WSDL URL and Methods are to configure...
Was hoping others expert or virtuosos user had success and were willing to share the how to.

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was seeing red

Not only you my friend. I can't tell you how many times I hit the backspace key while typing. Eeker

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Ranjan (Yogesh),

If this is a high priority project and needs an answer quickly, this is the wrong place to ask for it. After doing a doc search,a call to the IBI helpline would have been the appropriate venue.

To help you a bit, we solved the same problem by having the Sharepoint admin push the needed data into a MSSQL table and then we use WebFocus to run against that.

Your other option is to purchase the WebServices connector at extra cost. Of course that also entails training, documentation, meetings, security, testing...I would go with the MSSQL data push.

JG, Tony, Frank, Njsden, Francis ... Right On!

In FOCUS since 1985 - WF 8.009/8.104 Win 8 Outputs: ALL of 'em! Adapters: Sql Server Teradata Oracle

Posts: 161 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: February 20, 2009Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
had the pleasure of meeting Walter F Blood.

Same here. Such a gentleman and deep [Web]FOCUS connoisseur. It's really a humbling experience getting to share with some of the folks behind the technology I've been using and enjoying for the past ... er ... many, many months. Smiler

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Question
How was this solved?

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I have decided to abandon WEB Focus WSDL connectivity to SharePoint as a method of extracting data into WF reports.

This convoluted configuration and
editing of MAS files can be
accomplished in 3 mouse clicks via Microsoft Access; furthermore the price of MS Access is free if you compare it to an enterprise Web Focus license fees.

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Guru
posted Hide Post
Roy, yes, MS Access is relatively free and if it works for your installation, then great!

Unfortunately, an international company the size of Siemens cannot use MS Access as the enterprise solution, so we have to try to figure out a more robust method.

I am very interested in this solution. The best way to connect Sharepoint with Webfocus is through Open Portal Services. Unfortunately, as of now, we don't have that technology. So, our administrators, trainers, etc. etc. gave us the MS Access, SQL Server, and ODBC adapters that can be used to connect to Sharepoint.

So, I linked Sharepoint to MS Access and got Webfocus to create a master file through that Access synonym. But, I get the super generic "Could not find installable ISAM" error. Grrr...

So, what I did in the interim is write an Access macro to extract the data from the Sharepoint link to an Access Table that I run on a schedule. We then created the master file off that Access Table instead of the Sharepoint synonym. Ugly. Very ugly. But, it's working right now until we get OPS.

If somebody here can tell me how to solve the "Could not find installable ISAM" error, I'm all ears.

We're on Access 2003, Webfocus 7.6.4.

WF 8.1.05 Windows

Posts: 333 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: October 17, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Anatess
I’m also with a large multinational financial institution, and all preferred vendor production software is site licensed by the enterprise and only after extensive quality testing are new version released. Needless to say we are never on the most current software revision, and can’t take advantage of new features/adapters.

Disappointed am I with the WSDL URL documentation and claims that Data from SharePoint can be used in reporting. It would be different if the “Gurus” showed all of us how it works instead of offering a blanket statements like

Standard consultancy rates are $1,200 per day Or
Find someone from your technical IT department and ask them to give IBI read access to the SharePoint database. (Financial Institution that's not going to happen )
Find also someone from your managent and ask him to give you some basic training. (Basic, If its Basic then show me how)
Or
Solved the same problem by having the SharePoint admin push the needed data into a MSSQL table and then we use WebFocus to run against that. (That's just the SQL Data Adapter configured to the SQL sever)
Or
Purchase the WebServices connector at extra cost. (Extra Cost is you kidding me an enterprise license IBI makes the claim that their data adapters are like the bees knees best of breed)

This is not an obscure OS on an obscure software, this is SharePoint and IBI states that WSDL can extract data from it.

Thank You, For your honest response and suggestion a breath of fresh air in this stuffy holier-than-thou form

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Roy, get ready for the onslaught. And people won't be using their backspace key.

Your childish rant is unprofessional, uncalled for, untrue, and a complete waste of my time (and that includes writing this response).

If you are so immature as to not understand the help that was offerred or old enough to understand some of the humor, you are visting the wrong community help site.

Complaining about the software is one thing, but complaining about the lack of...help getting whatever it is you don't have? There are events going on today where you'd fit right in...

Look, I am one of many who have received thoughtful, inciteful, helpful, and "teach a man to fish"-able advice from the professionals on this board from all over the world and I hope your insults will not keep them from continuing to offer their support and help in the future.

You, sir, are the lucky winner of the 'First poster to be ignored by DavSmith on FocalPoint' award.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DavSmith,

In FOCUS since 1985 - WF 8.009/8.104 Win 8 Outputs: ALL of 'em! Adapters: Sql Server Teradata Oracle

Posts: 161 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: February 20, 2009Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
'First poster to be ignored by DavSmith on FocalPoint'

Thanks DavSmith for taking the time to write this. That's exactly the reason I personally had decided not to respond anymore Roll Eyes.

I am certainly no "Guru" and just attempt to offer whatever help I can when I can with the best of my intentions as I'm sure most members of this forum do, and in consequence find the attitude of blaming or criticizing any of them for one's limitations to find a solution not only disrespectful but also very offensive.

No matter what level of frustration one's facing I take those comments almost as personal attacks and don't appreciate that at all.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Njsden, well said. Also, I appreciate the posts you have spent you're time crafting. They are well thought out and well written.

As a matter of fact, since it's the season, I want to thank all of the posters who spend their time to help. You help educate the whole community of WebFocus users and by that, help the businesses that rely on our expertise, which in a round-robin way, helps keep us employable!

And thanks to the people who post the questions. Without them, there'd be no answers to learn from. Sometimes, the questions get me to work through solutions on my own which is the best way to learn.

I just gotta say, I love me some FocalPoint.

So for this season and throughout the year, peace and safety to all.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
And thanks to the people who post the questions. Without them, there'd be no answers to learn from. Sometimes, the questions get me to work through solutions on my own which is the best way to learn.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Some questions are really challenging and they push me to investigate and try out new things. Sadly, I don't always have access to the appropriate environment or resources to play with (such as the lack of a SQL Server install or WSDL license, for instance) but when I do, I enjoy trying those cases out.

Man, some of them had really made me scratch my head; the funny part is that just when I'm reaching the point of bleeding someone comes up with a much more elegant and efficient solution than the one I was crafting so I haven't needed band-aids yet Wink but the learning remains nevertheless.

Thanks as well for the good wishes!

Guru
posted Hide Post
Great! Kumbaya to all!

So anybody want to take a shot at trying out the MS Access link to Sharepoint and then trying to use the MS Access Webfocus Adapter to create a master file to that link?

I wanna see if y'all get the same "Could not find installable ISAM" error.

It would be kinda like a... uhm... advanced Christmas gift. Smiler I promise I was good all year...

WF 8.1.05 Windows

Posts: 333 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: October 17, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
So some want truth, some actual will challenge the fact that this SharePoint thing is not solved at all, and some will request accountability from the vendor...

“Give me a lever long enough; a fulcrum strong enough and I'll move the world”

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Guru
posted Hide Post
So I'm exploring options to report off SharePoint lists. Has anyone had any success? If so, please share your wisdom Smiler
Thanks!

Sandbox: 8206.10
Dev: 8201M
Prod:8009

Posts: 289 | Location: Houston,TX | Registered: June 11, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I found this on techsupport.

Solution Notes
Symptom

How to connect to a Sharepoint list.

Solution

The web services adapter or REST adapter may be used to connetc to a Sharepoint list. See the Adapter Administration guide:

http://documentation.informati...adapteradmin7705.pdf

Chapter 59, p. 1945 - Using the Adapter for REST

Chapter 76, p. 2651 - Using the Adapter for Web Services

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post