Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     SET LINES=999 causing odd behavior

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
SET LINES=999 causing odd behavior
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Curious if you all have noticed anything odd about how SET LINES=xxx works. Specifically, if I use a value less than 999 it seems to work as expected. If I use 999 or greater, it adds some extra space at the top of the report. This all seems to be only when GRID=OFF.

Might be easier to show you than explain:

Try this first:
SET LINES=998
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT *
ON TABLE SET PAGE NOLEAD
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
	 GRID=OFF,
$
END

and then try this:
SET LINES=999
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT *
ON TABLE SET PAGE NOLEAD
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
	 GRID=OFF,
$
END

Note that at the top of the data there is an extra "gap" on the 2nd version. If you do a view source, it actually adds a couple of rows to the html table.

I'll probably go ahead and log a case on this, but wondering if anyone had any insight on this or suggestions. I did try it on 7.1.4 and 7.6.4 and the behavior is the same.
thanks!

Production: 7.6.6 WF Server  <=>  7.6.6 WF Client  <=>  7.6.6 Dev Studio
Testing: <none>
Using MRE & BID.  Connected to MS SQL Server 2005
Output Types: HTML, Excel, PDF

Posts: 230 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: May 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
This easter egg behaves the way you describe on 5.3.2 as well.

Just a couple of days ago I was wondering why it behaved like this when I set LINES to 999999.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
The only time I ever used that parameter that large was to prevent page numbers on our labels in the old mainframe days when we printed on a continuous form on a tractor fed printer. I did notice recently on a style sheet in a PDF file that using set lines didn't change anythink, I had to do a stylesheet change to the bottom margin. All to print on three hole punch paper from a mainfame laser printer.

Oh and Francis, maybe we should have said shamrock for now. Smiler

Leah

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Well, normally it wouldn't be a huge issue -- in fact we've been using the 998 value with good success and even if our headers repeated occasionally it wasn't the end of the world. However, just today we had a new little twist on the problem and really need to just eliminate all headers except the first -- and it needs to work consistent.

Looks like I'm logging a case. Smiler

Master
posted Hide Post
Trav,

Looks like it may have something to do with the styling. I took the GRID=OFF out and the extra space went away.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jgelona:
Trav,

Looks like it may have something to do with the styling. I took the GRID=OFF out and the extra space went away.

Yep -- that was actually what I said in my original post. Wink

In our case, we nearly always want the grid off. I logged a case, and so far the response is that they don't think I'm the only one that has reported the behavior but I'm waiting on a more detailed response. I'll keep you all posted. The alternative at this point would be to include a little javascript routine to go find those first 2 rows and hide them. I'm hoping to avoid having to do that, but that may be the workaround for now...

Expert
posted Hide Post
Trav, i remember that 999 having happened to me in the past ... it is very odd indeed. So i always remember to use 998
here's an old thread on the subject

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Trav,

How about using CSS to remove the table border (WebFOCUS GRID)? Then you can use LINES = 999999.

SET LINES = 999999
SET PAGE  = NOLEAD

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
SALES
BY COUNTRY
BY MODEL
ON TABLE HOLD AS H001 FORMAT HTMTABLE
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=TITLE, CLASS=ColumnTitle, $
ENDSTYLE
END
-RUN

-HTMLFORM BEGIN
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<STYLE>

body { font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: .75em; }
table { border-collapse: collapse; border: 0px; }
td { border: 0px; }
td { font-size: .75em; }
.ColumnTitle{ font-weight: bold; }
</STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
!IBI.FIL.H001;
</BODY>
</HTML>
-HTMLFORM END

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Well, I got an update from techsupport today:

quote:
I worked with one of our core focus expert, this seems to be an issue with Devstudio/Reporting Server. I will link this case to the one in programming and let you know when a fix is available.

No idea how quickly this could be turned around, but in the mean time I'm probably going to have to figure out how to get around it another way. Francis, I'll take a look at your suggestion. My problem is I need borders, I just don't need the grid.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Trav, please tell me what the difference between borders and grid is?

Francis