Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Browser compatibility issue

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Browser compatibility issue
 Login/Join

<Radha>
posted
One of my HTML report renders strangely in firefox or Chrome ; I get to see some extra special characters (especially the $ sign); Please help me understand the specific browser compatibility issue ? It works very well in IE.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
I don't know if IBI certifies WebFOCUs with Chrome. You need to check the begining of the Install doc for your version of WebFOCUS.

For example, version 76x

Web
Browser

Microsoft Internet
Explorer 6.0 SP2
Microsoft Internet
Explorer 8.0
Mozilla Firefox 3.5.2
Mozilla Firefox 3.5
Note: Netscape is
not supported in
WebFOCUS release

All features are supported on Internet Explorer.
You should use Internet Explorer for
administration tools and development interfaces
like Power Painter or Advanced Graph Assistant.
Firefox is supported for Dashboard end-users
and self-service reporting with some restrictions.
For Firefox, you need to change settings to allow
popups and to open links from other applications
in new windows. For restrictions and additional
information, see Firefox Support on page 259 and
the WebFOCUS Release Notes 7.6 document.
Apple Safari can be used as the Web browser
when using HTML Active Reports. Apple Safari
has the identical functionality as Mozilla Firefox.
Simple HTML WebFOCUS reports or graphs can
be viewed on any browser.

Thanks,
Sayed

WF 8.x and 7.7.x Win/UNIX/AS400, MRE/Portal/Self-Service, IIS/Tomcat, WebSphere, IWA, Realmdriver, Active Directory, Oracle, SQLServer, DB2, MySQL, JD Edwards, E-BIZ, SAP BW, R/3, ECC, ESSBASE

Posts: 285 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 27, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post

Posts: 542 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: June 03, 2009Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
When I am logged in to Webfocus as a user setup to use the HTML gui and I go to deferred reports and click to view a Deferred Report (even one just formatted in HTML), I get an error in Firefox:

Deferred request was not found.
Error code is: ' 11'

What exactly is it trying to do in the browser that is IE only? All browsers can display HTML, so I don't understand. Its not a Microsoft VM thing because it works in IE on machines without the VM.

I don't have an issue running reports only viewing the deferred reports in Firefox.

WebFOCUS 7.6.9
Windows
all output (Excel, HTML, PDF)

Master
posted Hide Post
VBSCRIPT perhaps? I'm a Firefox Fanboy, but I still leave IE set as my default for just these types of reasons.

I did recently read some IBI documentation stating that it would run Web requests directly through IE leading me to believe that it could be calling the IE executable and the page as an argument (i.e. iexplore.exe http://www.google.com rather than letting the default browser handle the request). I could be taking the function out of context, but it lets me see what's going on in their collective brains.

------------------------------------
WF Environment:
Server/Client, ReportCaster, Dev Studio: 7.6.11
Resource Analyzer, Resource Governor, Library, Maintain, InfoAssist
Application/Web Server: Tomcat 5.5.25
Java: JDK 1.6.0_03
Authentication: LDAP, MRREALM Driver
Output: PDF, EXL2K, HTM

Databases:
Oracle 10g
DB2 (AS/400)
MSSQL Server 2005
Access/FoxPro

Posts: 561 | Registered: February 03, 2010Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Every web browser interprets the HTML rules slightly differently. Specifically, when things are omitted they are most likely to "guess" in different fashions.

I would suggest you install the Firebug addon in Firefox. You then can click the "Inspect" button in Firebug, and click on the invalid characters you are wondering where they are coming from.

Firebug will jump to that section of code. This will give you a much better idea of "why" the problem is happening.

As far as launching IE as an executable is concerned, Developer Studio makes system level calls to launch the web browser. This is why it always uses IE.

If you're already in the web browser, however, this can't happen. If it could, it would create a very big security hole.

WF 71.x, 76.x, 7701, 8.0 Beta OS: Linux, Win2k3, Win2k, Win2k8, WinXP

Posts: 203 | Registered: November 19, 2007Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Radha,

As compliant as IBI claims to be with firefox we have found that many out of the box things do not work properly anywhere except IE. An example is that we have found the export to excel option in AHTML files will not work in Firefox. Also I have reports that get prompted for parameters by IBI's generic prompt (no personal coding for it on my part) and firefox won't pass the variable. IE is the only browser that I have found to be 100% compliant with IBI's products. The next compliant would be Firefox and Chrome in a far trailing third. Save yourself the aggravation and tell your users that they have to use IE for all reports to work properly.

Eric Woerle
WF 7.6.7 Reportting Server
ETL 7.6.10
Dev Studio 7.6.7

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
If there are any out-of-the-box things that do not work in a certified browser version, open up a case and have it sent to programming to fix.

Even if its not in a certified browser version, they are very interested in knowing things people are running into and fixing it in later releases.

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ABT:
VBSCRIPT perhaps? I'm a Firefox Fanboy, but I still leave IE set as my default for just these types of reasons.

I have IE8 installed for just that reason as well, but this has still been bothering me. Your suggestion that it might be VB script made me go look. It isn't. But I found what the problem is. The view button calls a javascript function toOutputWindow(url) which doesn't work in Firefox for some reason. If you just make a link to the url with target=_blank it works fine.

EDIT--Actually its the fixurl function being called by toOutputWindow that is causing the problem.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Josh K,

WebFOCUS 7.6.9
Windows

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
function fixurl(bb)
{
var isie=isIE();
var start=bb.indexOf("?");
if(-1==start)return(bb);
if((bb.charAt(bb.length-1)) != '&')bb=bb+"&";
start=start+1;
var output=bb.substring(0,start);
var i;
for(i=bb.indexOf("&",start);i!=-1;i=bb.indexOf("&",start))
{
var s=bb.substring(start,i);
start=i+1;
var j=s.indexOf("=");
if(j!=-1)
{
var t=s.substring(0,j);
var u=s.substring(j+1,s.length);
if(t=="IBIMR_random")u=(isie?Math.random():escape(Math.random()));
s=t+"="+(isie?escape(u):u);
}
output=output+s+"&";
}
return(output);
}

Replacing "(isie?escape(u):u)" with "escape(u)"

and

Replacing "u=(isie?Math.random():escape(Math.random()))" with "u=escape(Math.random())"

fixes my problem.

In other words, for browsers other than IE, Webfocus is NOT escaping the parameters being passed in the URL. That's why it only works for IE. Unfortunately (I assume) this javascript function is hardcoded into the ibiweb.exe - Am I right on that?

EDIT--I wrote a sort of Ajax wapper to fix the problem for me personally, so I'm satisfied.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Josh K,

WebFOCUS 7.6.9
Windows

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
ibiweb.exe is only used if you're using CGI.

If you open up a case Techsupport can help you isolate what needs to be changed, as well as get that fixed within the product.